• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's up with Rob Liefeld? No CGC?
4 4

438 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, joeypost said:

That was the best...EVER. Well, maybe not for you.

It ended up being fine. But I think it is a reminder that this issue encompasses a number of issues. RMA always does a fine job pointing out the problems with the tiered pricing.  But however the creators get it in their head that people are profiteering off of them, sometimes when they do, they do stuff like Dringenberg did, which is not OK.  I don't know whether Discover Comics is a shill created to give RMA guff or not, but whatever the case, #thickerskin kind of hit a nerve . . .

1 minute ago, seanfingh said:

It ended up being fine. But I think it is a reminder that this issue encompasses a number of issues. RMA always does a fine job pointing out the problems with the tiered pricing.  But however the creators get it in their head that people are profiteering off of them, sometimes when they do, they do stuff like Dringenberg did, which is not OK.  I don't know whether Discover Comics is a shill created to give RMA guff or not, but whatever the case, #thickerskin kind of hit a nerve . . .

Like I said earlier, educating the artists is where it starts. If all the artists have things explained to them about what CGC is about, what the SS program is about then the playing field is even. If, at that point, the artist still decides to charge more for books going to CGC then the problem is with the artists. Individuals like that rarely have their thinking changed by repeatedly telling them that what they are doing isn’t fair. 

Discover Comics is most likely a shill that knows just where to jab to hit the right nerve. 

6 hours ago, joeypost said:

Like I said earlier, educating the artists is where it starts. If all the artists have things explained to them about what CGC is about, what the SS program is about then the playing field is even. If, at that point, the artist still decides to charge more for books going to CGC then the problem is with the artists. Individuals like that rarely have their thinking changed by repeatedly telling them that what they are doing isn’t fair. 

Exactly. And that has been the point of this whole discussion. 

If I have a bunch of books to get signed and the artist wants to charge me more because he's MISINFORMED... that sucks. THAT can be fixed.

If I have a bunch of books to get signed and the artist wants to charge me more because he just chooses to do so - so be it. It is what it is.

It's just difficult for some to accept being charged more from someone who has been lied to, misinformed, and manipulated. That feeling of walking up to someone's table that you admire and having them see your stack of carefully prepared window bag books and immediately see you as the enemy. Anyone who has experienced that, I would think, would want to see creators get a better understanding at the different type of fans that are out there - who are still very much fans.

48 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Exactly. And that has been the point of this whole discussion. 

If I have a bunch of books to get signed and the artist wants to charge me more because he's MISINFORMED... that sucks. THAT can be fixed.

If I have a bunch of books to get signed and the artist wants to charge me more because he just chooses to do so - so be it. It is what it is.

It's just difficult for some to accept being charged more from someone who has been lied to, misinformed, and manipulated. That feeling of walking up to someone's table that you admire and having them see your stack of carefully prepared window bag books and immediately see you as the enemy. Anyone who has experienced that, I would think, would want to see creators get a better understanding at the different type of fans that are out there - who are still very much fans.

To whittle it down even more, you fix what you can, and what you can’t don’t sweat it. There are plenty of artists out there. Stinks for the true fans, but it is what it is  

42 minutes ago, joeypost said:

To whittle it down even more, you fix what you can, and what you can’t don’t sweat it. There are plenty of artists out there. Stinks for the true fans, but it is what it is  

I think it boils down to that. How are these guys supposed to differentiate between the flipper and the guy who just wants the book? I think a lot of them cant so they just hit everyone with the same broad brush.

Then it comes down to what does the creator care what I do with my property? 

For me personally, I have no problem with these guys making as much coin as they possibly can, even if their reasoning comes from a misperception.

45 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Yep, continue to talk about it and educate people and fix what you can.

Can someone please explain this to me?  I saw in another thread about Liefeld not signing CGC anymore and his rant in Twitter which started all of this in March, 2018.  And I see people ragging on him even today.  Can someone then explain how he ended up signing this book (and many more of these) on August 28, 2019?  18 months after his "No CGC Ever" rant???

image.png.04eea347df06e6b8e44c7288ceb775cd.png

15 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Can someone please explain this to me?  I saw in another thread about Liefeld not signing CGC anymore and his rant in Twitter which started all of this in March, 2018.  And I see people ragging on him even today.  Can someone then explain how he ended up signing this book (and many more of these) on August 28, 2019?  18 months after his "No CGC Ever" rant???

image.png.04eea347df06e6b8e44c7288ceb775cd.png

I believe there were several no cgc "rants" and then recants etc. Maybe this slab got done on those in-between times, is my guess :tink: 

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I believe there were several no cgc "rants" and then recants etc. Maybe this slab got done on those in-between times, is my guess :tink: 

Ahhhhh... OK.  The other Post was riding him pretty hard for his decision so seemed really bizarre he would do a few books.   These titles were the only ones I could find so maybe it was a weak moment for him.

Here's my copy of NM 98 signed by Liefeld at NYCC in October.  I requested the Deadpool custom label while the book was at CGC awaiting grading,  This label of course is the source of his current position of not signing for CGC.  I'm the original owner of this copy, so thrilled with the result.  Check out the story behind this book at: http://collectorsyndicate.com/new-mutants-98/

NM98.jpg

On 1/22/2019 at 2:02 PM, seanfingh said:

I know this is an old post, but what did Dringenberg do?

On 1/22/2019 at 2:07 PM, joeypost said:

Discover Comics is most likely a shill that knows just where to jab to hit the right nerve. 

But don't SS books sell for more than universal labels (everything else being equal)? So why would it be unfair for an artist to charge more? It's cool and better if they don't but I don't understand why it's unfair if they do. 

Edited by William-James88