• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A tale of two $8500 art pages.
1 1

41 posts in this topic

I'd value that Ditko page at around $3500 - $4000.  A nicer example (IMHO) just sold for $4500 on Heritage: https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/steve-ditko-joe-orlando-and-george-roussos-tales-to-astonish-61-story-page-14-giant-man-and-the-wasp-original-a/a/7177-93525.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I really don't understand the prices people pay for Capullo art, but to each his own.

If I were to buy just on aesthetics, take away box ticking, and be willfully obtuse...

$250 for the top one because it's old and Marvel, I think. $400 for the bottom one because it is splashy and Batman (minus $100 because it looks like ink over blueline and people won't like that if I ever have to sell it.)

This is ALL OA collecting for anyone on a budget.   

Item A for $XXX or Item B for $XXX.

When I began collecting I couldn't get past a certain price point for interior pages because at a certain level, for the same money, it starts getting into covers & painted covers territory.  My reasoning then was, "Well for $XXX I can get this page or a painted cover"  That's my entire collection in a nutshell, for better or worse.  (shrug)

I'd want clarity on whether the Capullo/Glapion is ink over bluelines or not.  If it is, then I'd take the TTA 61 page.  If it's Capullo pencils underneath, I'd actually take the Capullo Bats page.  Why, man, why?  Because I know there is demand for the Capullo page and that I could find a buyer for it (or someone willing to trade decent stuff for it).  No offense to the quasi-Ditko page, but, I don't know anybody who would actually seek out a page like that.  That's the kind of page that you often see sitting in dealer inventory forever or ending up getting thrown into trade deals with dealers.  Nobody actually seeks that kind of stuff out:  it's either makeweight for deals or, at best, it's a third-tier Silver Age Marvel "Ditko" hero page (not laid out by him, not inked by him, not even pencilled fully by him, a rush job and totally atypical for a Ditko example) for someone who can't afford a first or second-tier example - good luck finding a cash buyer for it!  

Since I don't like either page enough to actually keep them, I'd rather take my chances selling the Capullo page to a member of the Cult of Kyle K. :flipbait:

12 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Does Capullo draw in blue pencil? 

Or is that a blue line that Glapion inked? 

It's inked over blue line, however the pencils are being advertised with the piece, so you'd (presumably) get both. I'd want to see a damn good scan of the pencils before I laid out that kind of cash for that piece, however.

I get why folks don't like inked over blue lines, generally. I make exceptions for when the penciller and the inker are the same person, and the artist is inking over his or her own blue lines. I figure that's legitimate OA by that artist.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

All Capullo/Glapion pages(COO/DOTF) are ink over blue line with pencils on separate boards and come as a set when buying from Capullo or Glapion. Most Capullo/Miki pages are ink over pencils(I believe only a small handful are not.)

53 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I'd want clarity on whether the Capullo/Glapion is ink over bluelines or not.  If it is, then I'd take the TTA 61 page.  If it's Capullo pencils underneath, I'd actually take the Capullo Bats page.  Why, man, why?  Because I know there is demand for the Capullo page and that I could find a buyer for it (or someone willing to trade decent stuff for it).  No offense to the quasi-Ditko page, but, I don't know anybody who would actually seek out a page like that.  That's the kind of page that you often see sitting in dealer inventory forever or ending up getting thrown into trade deals with dealers.  Nobody actually seeks that kind of stuff out:  it's either makeweight for deals or, at best, it's a third-tier Silver Age Marvel "Ditko" hero page (not laid out by him, not inked by him, not even pencilled fully by him, a rush job and totally atypical for a Ditko example) for someone who can't afford a first or second-tier example - good luck finding a cash buyer for it!  

Since I don't like either page enough to actually keep them, I'd rather take my chances selling the Capullo page to a member of the Cult of Kyle K. :flipbait:

I wish Kyle K would chime in on this one. Is that Batman #1 cover inked over blue lines? If so, did he get the penciled version too? Who inked it? I don't know enough about that run. Was it Miki or Glapion? Or did Capullo ink it himself?

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I wish Kyle K would chime in on this one. Is that Batman #1 cover inked over blue lines? If so, did he get the penciled version too? Who inked it? I don't know enough about that run. Was it Miki or Clapion? Or did Capullo ink it himself?

Capullo pencils and inks both on same board.

I'd take the Capullo simply because I'm a Batman collector, and it would look ok on the wall. But at those prices, big nope to both.

57 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It's inked over blue line, however the pencils are being advertised with the piece, so you'd (presumably) get both.

Then it's pretty much no at any price. That's not my bag, especially at any significant weight. 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I think that’s fair criticism of the tta page.   It doesn’t have enough going for it 

Edited by Bronty

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

It really is about as bad a prime period marvel SA page as you could find.   

I think OP expected the group to blindly split on age demographic. We may be old but we are not blind lol

44 minutes ago, vodou said:

I think OP expected the group to blindly split on age demographic. We may be old but we are not blind lol

Not at all. I expected a split along modern vs "classic" OA collectors, who may or may not be aged differentiated.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Dangit you caught me pre edit :insane: