• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update on a Tec 37

31 posts in this topic

In 1978-79, at what probably was a precursor to SDCC, I bought this Detective #37 (with no back cover) for $16.50. I loved the cover art... but life and work happens.... so I stopped collecting in 1983.

I posted this book for comment in the Summer of 2016 in this thread. I got back some great feedback.... some said it was worth $700 and some said ... keep it. It is a pre-Robin Tec and will only increase in value.

I sold it that summer for $2000 (No regrets) and it has been fun to watch it change hands over the past year and a half.  For those who want to look it up, it is the only 0.5 CGC Blue Label on the census.  It sold again for $3000 and then again for $3850 in March 2017.  I sent it in for CGC grading knowing it would come back 0.5.  I just wanted it encapsulated. Here is the raw image before grading. If this book is yours.... here is the image! I just wanted to pass along the story of a wonderful book!

Detective_37 raw.jpg

Edited by Ron C.

6 hours ago, Ron C. said:

It sold again for $3850 in March 2017

Where was it sold ? Thanks for sharing your info. And yes, love me the cover to 37. Great story too !

Edited by Gotham Kid

18 minutes ago, N e r V said:

That writing on the cover is... distracting to its appearance. Very big writing on cover. o.O

Thank God it defaces the cover.   If it was a couple of small dots contained to the blue field, it might've been lucky to get a 6.5

Edited by bluechip

Just saying regardless of what book it is I find the writing pretty big and distracting in its size and location. So yeah, it would factor into a final price for me. I’ll take a normal size sig like the  Larson here over the Stan Lee sized scribble there.

1FB4A78C-27C4-4294-A976-1AA0426B2DD0.thumb.jpeg.bc1e4a6901c482bd09b9c66e526f51ec.jpeg

No doubt though it will get a good price regardless.

Edited by N e r V

11 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

the bottom piece out bothers me even more than the scribbling. what a shame on that book :frown:

Well it is a grade lower too...

I was comparing the writing on covers not the actual grade... :baiting:

Elvis wouldn’t have touched anything below a 9.0 to begin with... lol 

Edited by N e r V

Pristine upped the asking price on their 8.5 by 20k last month (new BIN is US $119,500.00) ... that book has come a long way since it first auctioned.

Their eBay listing still uses the HA archive photo. :smirk:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

Pristine upped the asking price on their 8.5 by 20k last month (new BIN is US $119,500.00) ... that book has come a long way since it first auctioned.

s-l1600.jpg

With writing on the cover you could live with....:nyah:

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

There have been at least 3 boardies who have owned that book at some point if I'm not mistaken.

The last boardie who had it will never be able to buy any book ever again from the second boardie who had it. Sucks, but that's what happens when you do something douchy.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
4 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

There have been at least 3 boardies who have owned that book at some point if I'm not mistaken.

The last boardie who had it will never be able to buy any book ever again from the second boardie who had it. Sucks, but that's what happens when you do something douchy.

:o