• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Census Data Incorrect?

26 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I was just looking at the Census data for the new X-men Red #1 comic book and it appears as the Census data is incorrect, does this data only get updated periodically? Specifically, if you search "X-men Red"  in the CGC Census search and then click issue #1 it will bring up all of the grading data for X-men Red #1 and any variants. If you look under the Unknown Comics Variant you will see that it says there are currently only 2 graded copies and that they are both 9.8.  I was looking on Ebay and there were at least four 9.8 graded copies of this variant for sale. I thought this was strange so I looked up all of the CGC serial numbers for all four of these books that are currently for sale on Ebay (see below) and sure enough they were all verified and registered on CGC. I also found another 3 copies registered on CGC just by searching the before and after serial numbers of the books on Ebay i.e. 1255451001, ...002, ...003, etc.  So the question is... why if there are at least 7 copies of the X-men Red #1 Unknown Comics Variant CGC graded and registered at 9.8 is the census showing only 2?

CGC Serial numbers for the 4 for sale on Ebay : 1255451004 , 1255451003, 12554510051255023001

Additional 3 copies I found:  125545100212554510011255451006,

Any insight as to why this might be would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Clint

5 hours ago, Montezuma said:

It shows 14 9.8's?

x.jpg.7edcb67f57ad8f29ec1879e05dddd40f.jpg

Hey Montezuma, they must have just updated it! I guess that answers my question...it looks like they update the census monthly or semi-monthly since most of those books were graded back in mid February and they are just showing up on the census now. 

Thanks for your post

14 hours ago, clintcomics said:

Hey Montezuma, they must have just updated it! I guess that answers my question...it looks like they update the census monthly or semi-monthly since most of those books were graded back in mid February and they are just showing up on the census now. 

Thanks for your post

From my observation, they usually update the census once a week, usually over the weekend, reflecting the updates on Monday. In cases where they are busy or away at conventions, like last week, they sometimes fall behind.

I'm going to bump this thread as it appears to be the correct topic for my problem.

I collect Xenozoic Tales (bronze age to modern), and I want the highest grades I can get (who doesn't?).  When I saw a second print of the first issue available (and the highest graded - according to the census), I jumped at the chance to own it and snatched it up!  It is merely a 9.4.  Here's today's screenshot of the census:1114661855_Xenozoic12ndprintCensus2020_10.jpg.33e68e542d66f868391f946ff3b8389a.jpg

A day or two ago, I saw a second print 9.6 sold on HA in September.  However, CGC did not identify the book as a second print.  The book was graded August 18th.  Therefore, the census is incorrect.

1781970120_Xenozoic12ndprint96.jpg.27ee671375bfbf9152d0e538353084a5.jpg

I'll just say that this may be the breaking point for achieving my "goals" in competing in the CGC Registry.  How many books reside in the wrong/inaccurate/incorrect holders?!  I am upset. rantrant:pullhair:

On 3/7/2018 at 6:09 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

From my observation, they usually update the census once a week, usually over the weekend, reflecting the updates on Monday. In cases where they are busy or away at conventions, like last week, they sometimes fall behind.

RIP Bob :frown:

You will be missed

11 hours ago, Yorick said:

I'm going to bump this thread as it appears to be the correct topic for my problem.

I collect Xenozoic Tales (bronze age to modern), and I want the highest grades I can get (who doesn't?).  When I saw a second print of the first issue available (and the highest graded - according to the census), I jumped at the chance to own it and snatched it up!  It is merely a 9.4.  Here's today's screenshot of the census:

A day or two ago, I saw a second print 9.6 sold on HA in September.  However, CGC did not identify the book as a second print.  The book was graded August 18th.  Therefore, the census is incorrect.

I'll just say that this may be the breaking point for achieving my "goals" in competing in the CGC Registry.  How many books reside in the wrong/inaccurate/incorrect holders?!  I am upset. rantrant:pullhair:

No idea how many misidentified/mislabeled books are out there, but we also have a completed auction where there was no mention of which printing the book is, and possibly a buyer who thinks they were purchasing a first print copy. Quite a ripple effect one error can have.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Your Census Search says: "Country/Variant: Second Printing"

The labels don't say, "2nd Printing", though.

Gnome a sayin'?

That's the point PP - the two graded books in the picture are mislabelled / not identified as the JC Penney reprints that they are. And both are graded higher than the current 'highest' entries on the census. 

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That's the point PP - the two graded books in the picture are mislabelled / not identified as the JC Penney reprints that they are. And both are graded higher than the current 'highest' entries on the census. 

Oh, well... The title of the thread made me think you were proving that the Census data is incorrect - not the label data.

(thumbsu

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

Oh, well... The title of the thread made me think you were proving that the Census data is incorrect - not the label data.

(thumbsu

The census data is incorrect. It incorrectly advises the highest graded copies as 9.4 and 8.5. The owner of those copies would be fairly gutted to see the 9.6 and 9.8 copies I would imagine. 

Think once. Think twice. Think - don't muck up the label. 

Because it will muck up the census. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The census data is incorrect. It incorrectly advises the highest graded copies as 9.4 and 8.5. The owner of those copies would be fairly gutted to see the 9.6 and 9.8 copies I would imagine. 

Think once. Think twice. Think - don't muck up the label. 

Because it will muck up the census. 

The Census is correct based on the collection of labeled data.

:makepoint:

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

The Census is correct based on the collection of labeled data.

:makepoint:

9.4 and 8.5 it is then, you wally.

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's it. We're taking this to the alleyway.

:taptaptap:

Two wrongs don't make a right. Unless it's Mr and Mrs Wrong, driving down a T junction and not opting for left. 

Now, put em up!

Smart stitches' will monitor your wounds as you heal

13 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

145.thumb.PNG.c5f8581297245820fe97bf1a2df2c6f6.PNG

Capture.thumb.PNG.9fa32980097ec1f70df2c80ed6cb7606.PNG

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.b784a06cf70cb23219394ff276c9bf90.jpg

Whoops :eek:

So this happens more often than it should....  At least I know that I'm in the same boat with some other losers.  :boo: