• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will CLINK ever share data?
2 2

51 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You could be right, but I'm not so sure it would have sold for more for several reasons:  1.  The 9.0 is tied for highest graded.  There are two 8.0s and four 7.5s.  That by itself might explain the difference in price. 2.  Somebody following this book closely probably is aware of the earlier auction.  If you bid on a CLink auction, the hammer price is in your bid list indefinitely.  That makes it easy for you to check previous sales of a book -- presuming that you've been bidding on them.  3.  Dealers are always circling around these auctions.  If they see a book about to close very low, they'll usually swoop in with a bid that is roughly FMV minus their markup.  That's particularly likely to happen with a book like this one that should be pretty easy for a dealer to resell. 

I totally agree with this and this is also what scares me about more common keys. Books just don’t sell much lower than GPA because someone will buy them to flip or put into their stock. What then happens when all the great dealers that we know and love today in this market decide to hang it up? Will the small time flippers just leave the pool as well if prices start to correct in a different direction because some of this growth wasn’t that healthy? Fun stuff to talk about and contemplate for sure

16 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Clink retains the sales history on their site for a long time (couple years?).  After an auction is over the sales migrate over to the Exchange Section. I don't understand the problem. Sure, GPA sales stay out there forever but the data is effectively stale anyway after a certain period of time. How is it relevant what a book sold for 10 years ago ? In today's marketplace you need a crystal ball anyway, not old data.

Actually the majority (if not all I suspect but never checked) of subpar sales do not make it to the site/exchange...they are no where to be found unless in your bidder history. 

The stronger than normal auction and exchange sales do remain visible...but the “bad” ones don’t 

In regards to GPA sales, and wanting to be lower than average as a buyer, someone had an excellent point the other day.  I wish I could remember who said it, as it really struck me when I read it.  If everybody is buying books at or under GPA, your collection is going to be worth less money over time, not more, which isn't exactly what most of us are looking for.

Kind of off topic in regards to CLink, but still in the neighborhood. :) 

On 3/6/2018 at 11:39 PM, jhm said:

I'd guess this
http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1236874

would have sold for more if this
http://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1207018

was a published sale.

I get that some sales don't sell as high as they'd like, but let's face it - that happens on all sites.

My point is they tend to get nice GA inventory and when they're the only ones recently selling high grades of a rare book, they're kind of doing themselves a disservice... no?

I would kind of like to bring this full circle and back to what the OP was saying. He stated he guessed one book would have sold for more if the other sale was published data. This was the point I was getting at especially for tough books like  this. This book is tough in that it is relatively hard to find in grade (compared to the abundance of SA keys we see so frequently and love at least) so the fact that the one book wasn’t affected by the others value as much isn’t always a bad thing right? And isn’t it more indicative of true fair market value at least at that exact point in time with that particular audience? It was a good point and I get that always buying below GPA would indicate prices downturning but that more applies to books that are more heavily traded and share more similarities (grade/PQ/presentation etc). I personally enjoy that there are still books rare enough and that don’t change hands publically enough that there aren’t multiple people who are gonna throw in a set price bid in case the book is selling too low because no one really knows exactly what it’s worth until all the cards are on the table. Makes it fun!!!

Edited by gino2paulus2

Doesn't look like that is happening anytime soon.  This Comiclink auction that is closing has some very strong if not a little crazy prices.  I wasnt even close on anything and the few books I really really wanted went for way over previous market prices

14 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Actually the majority (if not all I suspect but never checked) of subpar sales do not make it to the site/exchange...they are no where to be found unless in your bidder history. 

The stronger than normal auction and exchange sales do remain visible...but the “bad” ones don’t 

Interesting. Never noticed that before. 

Covering their tracks then... lol 

Regarding Clink not reporting to GPA. A CGC4.0 Seven Seas sold for $5100 tonight and that sale would be great to have in GPA for just one guy, and that’s me. I got a 6.5 in CC sittin at 3k. I have to hope the bidders are aware of the Clink sale or do they already know. Real serious buyers don’t get it always from GPA I’m thinkin’. 

On 3/7/2018 at 9:24 AM, Dark Knight said:
On 3/7/2018 at 6:01 AM, entalmighty1 said:

I think ComicLink wanted to publish only specific sales, not all of them.  So if a book did better than expected, they want that out there for potential consignments.  If it does worse, they don't want that publicity.

It doesn't matter whether it records a higher price or not because when recorded to GPA, the seller or auction house remains anonymous anyways. It doesn't say so and so seller/auction house sold this book for this much on this date. Its only the grade, the figure, and the date.

I don't really think it's about low sales having a negative reflection on his auction site.

I think it's more just about the trending of the prices and how CL only ever wants to show increasing prices to give the misleading and false impression that prices moves in only one direction with the comic books.  It would definitely be biased or misinformation if CL had their way with how they reported their sales.  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

Regarding Clink not reporting to GPA. A CGC4.0 Seven Seas sold for $5100 tonight and that sale would be great to have in GPA for just one guy, and that’s me. I got a 6.5 in CC sittin at 3k. I have to hope the bidders are aware of the Clink sale or do they already know. Real serious buyers don’t get it always from GPA I’m thinkin’. 

For what it's worth, this copy of Seven Seas 4 on CL certainly presents much better than its assigned VG 4.0 grade (at least from the front cover):

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D30%26x%3D50%26y%3D13%23Item_1233258&id=1233258&itemType=0

And since you was so kind to point it out to us, here's your copy that is still available for bidding:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=756711

Certainly also a very nice copy (both front and back cover this time  (thumbsu).  

The problem with CC auctions is the absolute lack of any descriptive write-up on virtually all of their books, except for the keys.  This also makes it very very easy for potential bidders to miss the book entirely.  Especially when it really has to stand out on its own and sell itself since there is absolutely no written hype on their books, unlike both Heritage and even CL.    doh!

9 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

I was happy with that as well as TADS6

That was a strong price.  But it's such a tough book and copies don't come up for sale often.  It's the only Baker St John with a photo cover that brings big money.  One of these days, CGC will acknowledge who the cover model was. 

53 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

That was a strong price.  But it's such a tough book and copies don't come up for sale often.  It's the only Baker St John with a photo cover that brings big money.  One of these days, CGC will acknowledge who the cover model was. 

Absolutely no GPA data to navigate a buyer. Sheer desire to own a copy won it no doubt. 

12 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

For such a classic book, my gut tells me the bidders are well aware of sales from another auction. CC's auctions will usually get off to a good start and then nothing happens for 3 weeks, until the last few days where sought after books usually triple in value. I wouldn't worry at this point.

On 3/7/2018 at 5:44 PM, Sqeggs said:

CLink doesn't allow shill bidding, but whether they can stop it when a consignor has a second ID and cloaks his ISP (don't ask me how this is done; I have no clue!) or if one guy bids up his buddy's book is another matter.  All the auction houses block you automatically from bidding on your own consignments if they can recognize that it's you. 

Not quite.  Heritage will charge the consignor the full bidder's fee if the consignor's bid goes above the reserve even if there is no reserve.  Basically, Heritage don't care who is bidding as long as they get their cut. :)  See Heritage's terms of service section 13.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Not quite.  Heritage will charge the consignor the full bidder's fee if the consignor's bid goes above the reserve even if there is no reserve.  Basically, Heritage don't care who is bidding as long as they get their cut. :)  See Heritage's terms of service section 13.

Nope.  At least online, you are blocked from bidding on your own books.