• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

December 1953 Marilyn Monroe Playboy
2 2

47 posts in this topic

I figured it had to be at least a 5.0 which would probably allow me to break even so I took a chance.  Why do you say that "it cant be"?  The purchase price?  I will send it off to cgc next week and i am guessing that paypal will cover me if not legit.  It loks correct though, doesnt it?

17 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I believe it and knew about poster grading. I just have never seen any magazine not comic book related in that CGC encapsulated holder. 

I cannot imagine them doing it for one of the very thick 1960s to 1980s Playboys

They do Nintendo Power too, those are pretty thick :) 

On 3/7/2018 at 9:44 PM, 01TheDude said:

I believe it and knew about poster grading. I just have never seen any magazine not comic book related in that CGC encapsulated holder. 

I cannot imagine them doing it for one of the very thick 1960s to 1980s Playboys

2701132243311.jpg

I think after a dry clean and press to get the bend out of the white areas of the cover... it will get an 8.0 

You have that line that still breaks color through a couple places (is that a subscription crease? there were no subscriptions for the first issue so it cant be right? I think that is more likely a "hide this from my mother" crease.)

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

18 hours ago, ivegotneatstuff said:

I think after a dry clean and press to get the bend out of the white areas of the cover... it will get an 8.0 

You have that line that still breaks color through a couple places (is that a subscription crease? there were no subscriptions for the first issue so it cant be right? I think that is more likely a "hide this from my mother" crease.)

I sent the magazine off to get graded on Saturday, paying roughly $150 for grading.  Did I fail to take advantage of any obvious opportunity to improve the grade?  What would be you advise at this point.  CGC is scheduled to receive the book on Wednesday.  An 8.0 would be awesome!

6 minutes ago, comics4all said:

are you sure this isn't the reprint they did a few years ago?

The reprint has a recantangle in the upper right and three staples.  The original has a square and two staples.  By all accounts, this would seem to be an original.

Just now, Danno561 said:

The reprint has a recantangle in the upper right and three staples.  The original has a square and two staples.  By all accounts, this would seem to be an original.

ok just wanted to make sure you didn't get scammed!

on a side note does anyone know where I can sell some playboys from the !990s & up?

5 minutes ago, comics4all said:

ok just wanted to make sure you didn't get scammed!

on a side note does anyone know where I can sell some playboys from the !990s & up?

For $3700, I might get a little upset. ?

Not an expert in this space but tried to do my homework before committing.  An 8.0 could get me $9000.  Prices continue to trend higher.  

At the risk of stating the obvious answer to your side note....ebay?

30 minutes ago, Danno561 said:

Not an expert in this space but tried to do my homework before committing.  An 8.0 could get me $9000.  Prices continue to trend higher.  

Hi

I don't think people pay a lot for issues from the 90s, but maybe you are right for me to try Ebay

1 minute ago, comics4all said:

Hi

I don't think people pay a lot for issues from the 90s, but maybe you are right for me to try Ebay

I think you are correct but wish you the best of luck in finding the right market!

41 minutes ago, Danno561 said:

First, let's see what CGC says before trying to decide what venue to list your '8.0' . I'm sorry but I don't think the book will be anywhere near an 8.0 . You have a book length vertical crease. That alone puts you at 5.5. Next you have more long creases, visible on the Back cover. The upper right of the Front cover has something going on. I think you can get a 5.0 but I also think it may be a little lower. Plus you have the risk of married centerfold, stains we are not seeing, trimming. Buying raw books of this caliber is risky. I always ask myself why didn't the seller send it in ? I wish you luck.

12 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

First, let's see what CGC says before trying to decide what venue to list your '8.0' . I'm sorry but I don't think the book will be anywhere near an 8.0 . You have a book length vertical crease. That alone puts you at 5.5. Next you have more long creases, visible on the Back cover. The upper right of the Front cover has something going on. I think you can get a 5.0 but I also think it may be a little lower. Plus you have the risk of married centerfold, stains we are not seeing, trimming. Buying raw books of this caliber is risky. I always ask myself why didn't the seller send it in ? I wish you luck.

Not looking to sell it.  I was responding to his question where to sell his 90's magazines.  I agree about the risk which is why I was trying to balance downside risk with the upside.  I think that at worse, I break even with a 4.5.  My guess was a 6.0 on the magazine but we'll know in three days.......I will report back regardless.

thanks

2 hours ago, Danno561 said:

Not looking to sell it.  I was responding to his question where to sell his 90's magazines.  I agree about the risk which is why I was trying to balance downside risk with the upside.  I think that at worse, I break even with a 4.5.  My guess was a 6.0 on the magazine but we'll know in three days.......I will report back regardless.

thanks

Let us know! I hope it grades high!