• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

December 1953 Marilyn Monroe Playboy
2 2

47 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Danno561 said:

Not looking to sell it.  I was responding to his question where to sell his 90's magazines.  I agree about the risk which is why I was trying to balance downside risk with the upside.  I think that at worse, I break even with a 4.5.  My guess was a 6.0 on the magazine but we'll know in three days.......I will report back regardless.

thanks

Also It is a piece of history! Plus Marilyn Monore! 

On 3/11/2018 at 9:37 PM, ivegotneatstuff said:

I think after a dry clean and press to get the bend out of the white areas of the cover... it will get an 8.0 

You have that line that still breaks color through a couple places (is that a subscription crease? there were no subscriptions for the first issue so it cant be right? I think that is more likely a "hide this from my mother" crease.)

Thanks so much for this input.  I called CGC this morning and they can intercept the magazine and have it pressed prior to grading.  Of course, this will take an extra 8-10 weeks but it seems well worth it. Stay tuned.....

23 minutes ago, Danno561 said:

Thanks so much for this input.  I called CGC this morning and they can intercept the magazine and have it pressed prior to grading.  Of course, this will take an extra 8-10 weeks but it seems well worth it. Stay tuned.....

That would totally be worth the extra 8-10 weeks! I have a couple of Playboys graded by CGC (Signature Series though). I would trade all my in for your book (worship)

Good luck and yes, please keep us posted :popcorn:

36 minutes ago, martini25 said:

That would totally be worth the extra 8-10 weeks! I have a couple of Playboys graded by CGC (Signature Series though). I would trade all my in for your book (worship)

Good luck and yes, please keep us posted :popcorn:

Thank you.  I will be sure to deliver the news.....good or not so good!

1 hour ago, Danno561 said:

I think you are making a mistake here. First off,  you want to find out if it's genuine as soon as possible. Let CGC grade it first. They will give you notes about the condition of the book. If it's genuine and the notes warrant a press, then you can press it. If you spend the extra money and time to get it pressed first, and it turns out to be not genuine, you have wasted time and money.

36 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Sub crease will kill ya.  I'd think 5.0 is the best you can hope for but let us know how it does.

I agree. Some folks want to press everything. Often, they don't realize it may not help. I imagine the press will flatten out all the little wrinkles but it most likely won't get rid of that crease, which holds the grade in the 5.0 range anyway. Waste of time and money here.

20 hours ago, Danno561 said:

I sent the magazine off to get graded on Saturday, paying roughly $150 for grading.  Did I fail to take advantage of any obvious opportunity to improve the grade?  What would be you advise at this point.  CGC is scheduled to receive the book on Wednesday.  An 8.0 would be awesome!

I would advise calling them right away before they grade it, etc.. and having them run it through CCS first for their screening service " CCS offers a Screening service to determine whether your comic book is a suitable candidate for pressing, restoration or restoration removal. The screening fee is 1% of the fair market value ($10 minimum) of the comic at the time of screening.

For comic books submitted through the WalkThru tier (valued over $3,000), the 1% screening fee will be waived if a service is performed. If no service is deemed suitable for the comic, the maximum fee charged will be $50. If service is deemed suitable but you decide not to have the work done, the full screening fee will be charged. "

So maybe you in the "fee is waived" category - and I'm saying all this assuming they DO work on Playboys...which I think they must.

https://www.cgccomics.com/ccs-pressing/

Maybe Matt can work some magic on it

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

2 hours ago, ivegotneatstuff said:

I would advise calling them right away before they grade it, etc.. and having them run it through CCS first for their screening service " CCS offers a Screening service to determine whether your comic book is a suitable candidate for pressing, restoration or restoration removal. The screening fee is 1% of the fair market value ($10 minimum) of the comic at the time of screening.

For comic books submitted through the WalkThru tier (valued over $3,000), the 1% screening fee will be waived if a service is performed. If no service is deemed suitable for the comic, the maximum fee charged will be $50. If service is deemed suitable but you decide not to have the work done, the full screening fee will be charged. "

So maybe you in the "fee is waived" category - and I'm saying all this assuming they DO work on Playboys...which I think they must.

This seems like the most rational couse of action! As you suggest, I spoke with the office and they will be screening before anything else is done.  Thanks for your insight and words of wisdom.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:12 PM, ivegotneatstuff said:

Just heard back on the screening and they indicated that "the magazine did not require pressing services and will be held to transfer for grading." I guess that I expected more details but we should see soon enough.

7 hours ago, Danno561 said:

Just heard back on the screening and they indicated that "the magazine did not require pressing services and will be held to transfer for grading." I guess that I expected more details but we should see soon enough.

so they said they dont do cleaning? It looked to me from the pics (which were kinda poor I know..from the ebay listing)  like some dry cleaning was in order...but I guess they would have told you that

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

9 hours ago, Danno561 said:

It's good to hear validation from CCS. Like I thought, this book was not a good candidate for pressing.  You only wasted the screening fee. It could have been worse. This obviously says the creases are color breaking and cannot be removed. Hopefully, CCS did not see something worse like restoration. With the creases, I think your book will be graded in the 4.5 to 5.0 range. 

2 hours ago, ivegotneatstuff said:

so they said they dont do cleaning? It looked to me from the pics (which were kinda poor I know..from the ebay listing)  like some dry cleaning was in order...but I guess they would have told you that

What good does a cleaning do ? It's not going to overcome those creases and improve the grade. Actually, the book looked pretty clean anyway. 

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It's good to hear validation from CCS. Like I thought, this book was not a good candidate for pressing.  You only wasted the screening fee. It could have been worse. This obviously says the creases are color breaking and cannot be removed. Hopefully, CCS did not see something worse like restoration. With the creases, I think your book will be graded in the 4.5 to 5.0 range. 

For me, validation was never considered an issue.  Just as restoration is not a concern.  

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

What good does a cleaning do ? It's not going to overcome those creases and improve the grade. Actually, the book looked pretty clean anyway. 

Well - for one it would make the book look much nicer - and as a result possibly sell for more than a copy which has 60 years of "dirt" accumulation

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The screening fee is waived if he gets the book graded (assuming its worth over $3k)  thats in part why I suggested it - as he had nothing to lose?

5 hours ago, ivegotneatstuff said:

Well - for one it would make the book look much nicer - and as a result possibly sell for more than a copy which has 60 years of "dirt" accumulation

Actually, here's exactly what you said.....

'I think after a dry clean and press to get the bend out of the white areas of the cover... it will get an 8.0 '

4 hours ago, ivegotneatstuff said:

The screening fee is waived if he gets the book graded (assuming its worth over $3k)  thats in part why I suggested it - as he had nothing to lose?

The screening was done by CCS, not CGC. I thought the screening fee gets waived if services for CCS are performed.  In this case they were not as the book was transferred to CGC for service. It's only 10 bucks or whatever but I just think you were way off base with your original pressing recommendations here. Books with subscription creases do not benefit from pressing. Thinking you could press them out and get an 8.0 does not show much experience on this topic. Anyway, it appears the OP thinks you are the hero here so we shall Let It Be.