• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

December 1953 Marilyn Monroe Playboy
2 2

47 posts in this topic

On 3/16/2018 at 1:06 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

The screening was done by CCS, not CGC. I thought the screening fee gets waived if services for CCS are performed.  In this case they were not as the book was transferred to CGC for service. It's only 10 bucks or whatever but I just think you were way off base with your original pressing recommendations here. Books with subscription creases do not benefit from pressing. Thinking you could press them out and get an 8.0 does not show much experience on this topic. Anyway, it appears the OP thinks you are the hero here so we shall Let It Be.

I do understand your point. Here's my rebuttal :)  I never said subscription creases could be removed through pressing - obviously any crease which breaks color cant be removed from pressing - I just 1) couldnt tell from the photos if there were some areas or other defects on the book which could be removed and , 2) and in some areas you can't really tell (from the photos) if this crease breaks color or if it is just a bend (like on the bottom of the cover) and to me its worth sending a book of that value through a prescreen just to make sure - especially if its free. (i.e., color breaks caused by creasing, well ANY color break - OBVIOUSLY cant be removed from pressing - any nitwit can tell you that - sorry if it seemed I was implying that) 

TO ME, 3) I would have cleaned and pressed the cover(s) and 4) any bends on interior pages because - if a crease goes down 100% of the cover, but it only breaks color in about 25% of the crease - I would still prefer to remove the BEND which resulted in the color break and then only have the color break. Also, if the bend transferred to the interior pages - even if slightly, it most likely did NOT cause color break internally and I would think their removal could also increase the grade. Call me crazy, but to me cleaning and pressing would enhance the eye appeal and I think, the grade (if the actual bend which caused the color breaking crease is no longer there, isn't it potentially a higher grade then the same copy WITH the crease?)

Lets be honest, the photos aren't the best in the world, but I DO see areas where I would think dry cleaning would make it look so much nicer (where some of these darker blotches would be removed. On most books, I would agree it wouldn't amount to anything - but this is a book which has a cover which is has a large percentage of white area - and is higher value, so any .5 increase in grade is worth the effort - and any eye appeal increase is ALSO worth the effort even if the grade isn't affected. 

As to whether the current raw grade could INCREASE on a book which already has a subscription crease - thats debatable. Depends if there are other creases on the book which are substantial enough to drop the grade further. 

Anyway, with all that being said, Danno if you feel I sent you down the wrong path, give me your paypal address and I will send you $10 if CCS charged you anything. 

Respectfully submitted, 

David

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 5.53.17 PM.png

IMG_2314.JPG.acc2e4b8fe4e3839cb4e8acbc1af4c82.jpg

IMG_2316.JPG.3f5f9b2b691527b4799342f6d991de5f.jpg

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

On 3/17/2018 at 5:04 PM, ivegotneatstuff said:

I do understand your point. Here's my rebuttal :)  I never said subscription creases could be removed through pressing - obviously any crease which breaks color cant be removed from pressing - I just 1) couldnt tell from the photos if there were some areas or other defects on the book which could be removed and , 2) and in some areas you can't really tell (from the photos) if this crease breaks color or if it is just a bend (like on the bottom of the cover) and to me its worth sending a book of that value through a prescreen just to make sure - especially if its free. (i.e., color breaks caused by creasing, well ANY color break - OBVIOUSLY cant be removed from pressing - any nitwit can tell you that - sorry if it seemed I was implying that) 

TO ME, 3) I would have cleaned and pressed the cover(s) and 4) any bends on interior pages because - if a crease goes down 100% of the cover, but it only breaks color in about 25% of the crease - I would still prefer to remove the BEND which resulted in the color break and then only have the color break. Also, if the bend transferred to the interior pages - even if slightly, it most likely did NOT cause color break internally and I would think their removal could also increase the grade. Call me crazy, but to me cleaning and pressing would enhance the eye appeal and I think, the grade (if the actual bend which caused the color breaking crease is no longer there, isn't it potentially a higher grade then the same copy WITH the crease?)

Lets be honest, the photos aren't the best in the world, but I DO see areas where I would think dry cleaning would make it look so much nicer (where some of these darker blotches would be removed. On most books, I would agree it wouldn't amount to anything - but this is a book which has a cover which is has a large percentage of white area - and is higher value, so any .5 increase in grade is worth the effort - and any eye appeal increase is ALSO worth the effort even if the grade isn't affected. 

As to whether the current raw grade could INCREASE on a book which already has a subscription crease - thats debatable. Depends if there are other creases on the book which are substantial enough to drop the grade further. 

Anyway, with all that being said, Danno if you feel I sent you down the wrong path, give me your paypal address and I will send you $10 if CCS charged you anything. 

Respectfully submitted, 

David

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 5.53.17 PM.png

IMG_2314.JPG.acc2e4b8fe4e3839cb4e8acbc1af4c82.jpg

IMG_2316.JPG.3f5f9b2b691527b4799342f6d991de5f.jpg

David,

I definitely do not feel misled and feel your advise was solid.  btw, the screening fee was 1% of market value, not $10.  Its all good here.  Hopefully, I will receive a grade of 4.5 + and I will be happy.

thanks for your input.

Dan

On 3/16/2018 at 12:06 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

The screening was done by CCS, not CGC. I thought the screening fee gets waived if services for CCS are performed.  In this case they were not as the book was transferred to CGC for service. It's only 10 bucks or whatever but I just think you were way off base with your original pressing recommendations here. Books with subscription creases do not benefit from pressing. Thinking you could press them out and get an 8.0 does not show much experience on this topic. Anyway, it appears the OP thinks you are the hero here so we shall Let It Be.

Just now received the magazine back. The crease was indeed a killer but the book still came back with a universal grade of 5.0.  I am happy with that.  Thanks to everyone for their input!