• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this price seem high or am I out of touch with reality? Jo Jo 25
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I was watching an eBay auction last night for a Jo Jo 25.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jo-Jo-25-golden-age-comic/152925360400?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Although, I am a big fan of this book, it seems like almost $700 for a copy of this book, that is missing almost half it's pages is a little steep.  I mean Jo Jo 25 is a nice book and the cover seems to be in "decent" shape, but is the cover alone worth that kind of coin??? 

Maybe I am completely off base here. 

Thoughts???????

(shrug)

6 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Maybe it's going to get married...  :whistle:

I assumed this purchase was made by someone looing to marry the cover with another interior, however, as szavisca pointed out, the recent 6.5 universal went for $1673.

So assuming the interior is perfect, what would a "qualified" be worth with this cover (with the crease in it and all)?

In addition, the right side of the front cover appears to be missing some artwork.  I cannot tell if the book was trimmed or if it is due to the cover being cut incorrectly.  I tend to think it is the latter of the two, due to all the white I see on the left side.

10 hours ago, szavisca said:

Always read the item description... at least 2 careless people for this one did not it seems.

A cgc 6.5 Just went on HA fur $1673...so this pages missing copy is definitely not worth $700.

Sad part is that some poor eBay seller will probably have to deal with a return because someone is too lazy to read the description...

That said, yes that is a stupid price for that rather common book. Great cover but not my favorite in the run. It has been "pimped" up quite a bit here on these boards. 

13 hours ago, szavisca said:

Always read the item description... at least 2 careless people for this one did not it seems.

A cgc 6.5 Just went on HA fur $1673...so this pages missing copy is definitely not worth $700.

+1

I think the cover stands on its own merits, but the fact that some people attribute it to Baker (wrongly, imo) has added to its appeal.

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sad part is that some poor eBay seller will probably have to deal with a return because someone is too lazy to read the description...

That said, yes that is a stupid price for that rather common book. Great cover but not my favorite in the run. It has been "pimped" up quite a bit here on these boards. 

thats is they even open the book....

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I Seem to remember one boardie who really loves that issue including on his sales threads...hm

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, Robot Man said:

^^

Well, it appears Bob called this one correctly and the seller is now having to relist the book....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jo-Jo-25-golden-age-comic/152996669022?hash=item239f4fe65e:g:epQAAOSwQ-JaljTw

Hopefully the next set of bidders will actually take 2 seconds and read the description (which now includes exactly which pages are missing).

I really wish sellers would put major defects like being incomplete in the title listing.  On this one, there is certainly enough characters left for the seller to do so.  I still always read the description and on a raw GA book, I even ask the seller to count the pages for me.  I am not necessarily accusing the (a) seller of deliberately trying to pass one over but it does make one think and give that appearance.

Strange too with this seller since on the Phantom Lady 22, it shows in the title as front cover only.  Why not say on Jo Jo incomplete.

2 hours ago, telerites said:

I really wish sellers would put major defects like being incomplete in the title listing.  On this one, there is certainly enough characters left for the seller to do so.  I still always read the description and on a raw GA book, I even ask the seller to count the pages for me.  I am not necessarily accusing the (a) seller of deliberately trying to pass one over but it does make one think and give that appearance.

Strange too with this seller since on the Phantom Lady 22, it shows in the title as front cover only.  Why not say on Jo Jo incomplete.

It is also a realist. I bought this book from this seller. It was listed in the description as having the back cover missing. I put my best bid in the first day. Which was pretty aggressive. Last day he added on that the last story was torn out as well. I didn't reread it as I had put in my best price. I guess he hopes no one will notice. It sure would have saved us both a lot of trouble if he had emailed the bidders of the description change since it was significant. Guess he tore the cover off and relisted it instead of just listing it correctly.   :facepalm:   No apology or communication other than just "send it back" a real tool. 

46 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

It is also a realist. I bought this book from this seller. It was listed in the description as having the back cover missing. I put my best bid in the first day. Which was pretty aggressive. Last day he added on that the last story was torn out as well. I didn't reread it as I had put in my best price. I guess he hopes no one will notice. It sure would have saved us both a lot of trouble if he had emailed the bidders of the description change since it was significant. Guess he tore the cover off and relisted it instead of just listing it correctly.   :facepalm:   No apology or communication other than just "send it back" a real tool. 

Ebay should do what Heritage does.  When there is a change made on a lot you are watching or have bid on, you get an email of changes you are interested in.  Personally, I think if you have bid on an item and there is a change, you should have the option to cancel your bid.  That may already be an option - I am not sure.

Thanks for sharing, RM - a seller I will stay away from.