• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance: Batman who laughs???

126 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

So, you're saying Hulk #180 is the true first appearance of Wolverine? I've been making this argument for years but the market has decided otherwise.

Or the market just values a later book more because of the cover and content and refer to it as a first appearance out of convenience...

26 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Or the market just values a later book more because of the cover and content and refer to it as a first appearance out of convenience...

The days when most collectors valued #181 more for its cover and content are long gone. The Market decided it was the 1st appearance of Wolverine, and that's stuck. It's not, but never mind.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

8 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The days when most collectors valued #181 more for its cover and content are long gone. The Market decided it was the 1st appearance of Wolverine, and that's stuck. It's not, but never mind.

The same argument could be made for Amazing Spider-Man #299 vs #300.

I think one appearance in a frame constitutes a cameo.  This is partially the case with Metal #2, however in ASM #299 and IH #180, the appearance occurs on the last frame/page.  In Metal #2, his full appearance occurs on one of the final 5 pages and the rest of the frames have him giving a speech, which in my opinion constitutes a first full appearance.  This with the aforementioned fact that the story precedes Teen Titans #12 means Metal #2 has my vote.

I think grading community could help the cause by correctly listing books on eBay or wherever with Metal #2 as the first appearance.  Or maybe just write to CGC and have them officially weigh in on it providing evidence with Snyder's remarks.

10 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

The same argument could be made for Amazing Spider-Man #299 vs #300.

I think one appearance in a frame constitutes a cameo.  This is partially the case with Metal #2, however in ASM #299 and IH #180, the appearance occurs on the last frame/page.  In Metal #2, his full appearance occurs on one of the final 5 pages and the rest of the frames have him giving a speech, which in my opinion constitutes a first full appearance.  This with the aforementioned fact that the story precedes Teen Titans #12 means Metal #2 has my vote.

I think grading community could help the cause by correctly listing books on eBay or wherever with Metal #2 as the first appearance.  Or maybe just write to CGC and have them officially weigh in on it providing evidence with Snyder's remarks.

Wolverine introduces himself by name in full regalia in the last panel of Hulk #180. It's not just a cameo. It's the character's full introduction. It's his first full, true, appearance. The market has simply decided that it's not.

It's understandable that ASM 299 might be compared to this, but Venom was in the shadows, and you didn't see a full version of him, or get his name.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

29 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Uh no. The book is referred to as the first appearance of Wolverine because that is the easiest way to explain its value in a concise and easy way. The cover and content are exactly the reason why it pulls the money that it does, the market isn't confused about the character's actual first appearance. 

8 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Uh no. The book is referred to as the first appearance of Wolverine because that is the easiest way to explain its value in a concise and easy way. The cover and content are exactly the reason why it pulls the money that it does, the market isn't confused about the character's actual first appearance. 

Whatever. If IH 181 is referred to as anything other than the second appearance of Wolverine, then the market is "confused." The hobby literally invented the "first full appearance" designation to account for this value discrepancy. There is no way the cover alone should give it that much of a premium value bump. The hulk/wovernine fight is cool, I guess. But, it's not enough of a value bump to account for the discrepancy, IMHO. I've always pointed out that FF 48 intros Galactus in the last panel, and that's his 1st appearance, not FF 49, despite the "classic cover" and the "classic story."

Edited by PhilipB2k17

22 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Wolverine introduces himself by name in full regalia in the last panel of Hulk #180. It's not just a cameo. It's the character's full introduction. It's his first full, true, appearance. The market has simply decided that it's not.

It's understandable that ASM 299 might be compared to this, but Venom was in the shadows, and you didn't see a full version of him, or get his name.

Huh?

Doc1.jpg

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Whatever. If IH 181 is referred to as anything other than the second appearance of Wolverine, then the market is "confused." The hobby literally invented the "first full appearance" designation to account for this value discrepancy. There is no way the cover alone should give it that much of a premium value bump. The hulk/wovernine fight is cool, I guess. But, it's not enough of a value bump to account for the discrepancy, IMHO. I've always pointed out that FF 48 intros Galactus in the last panel, and that's his 1st appearance, not FF 49, despite the "classic cover" and the "classic story."

But the market isn't confused. The market refers to IH 181 as the first appearance, not because they aren't aware of his appearance in 180, but because if one is discussing or otherwise referencing the value or importance of that book it is much easier and quicker to simply say Wolverine's first appearance, than to explain verbally or in writing that the book is actually Wolverine's second appearance, but it commands more money than the previous issue because Wolverine appears on the cover and is actually featured throughout the book and because an overwhelming amount of capital has been put into 181 at this point so market confidence in that book is high plus the market is shifting towards favoring cover appearances because of the increasingly popularity of grading services which render the ability to appreciate interior content obsolete. 

But sure, continue to cry from the rooftops that the market has been fooled into believing that IH 181 is Wolverine's first appearance. 

I saw some BWL cosplay this weekend, which often bodes well for a character's popularity/value. However, it doesn't bode well for the cosplayer, as there is no good way to SEE when wearing that get up. Yeesh. What looks cool in a comic isn't always a good idea for walking around a con floor.

Edited by F For Fake

8 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

No, it isn't. Wolverine is a complete non-factor for the entirety of the story in 180. The only purpose of his very brief appearance is as a teaser for the next issue.

Appearance means the character is in the story (ads need not apply). Full appearance means the character is in a significant portion of the story (not one :censored: panel).

7 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Whatever. If IH 181 is referred to as anything other than the second appearance of Wolverine, then the market is "confused." The hobby literally invented the "first full appearance" designation to account for this value discrepancy.

No, the hobby invented it because there is a significant history of characters appearing at the end of an issue as a lead-in to the next story, whether it's their 1st or 497th appearance. Back when people actually read the books, they would want to see their favourite characters in more than one panel. 

What’s the thoughts on Dark Nights Metal #2 Mattina with BMWL on the cover? It’s the “first appearance” with him on the cover but it’s also a 3rd print which definitely came after TT12. Noticed this 9.8 with CGC not designating the issue as 1st appearance yet.

C83D67E5-5101-412E-8338-9160A283E56A.png

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

No, it isn't. Wolverine is a complete non-factor for the entirety of the story in 180. The only purpose of his very brief appearance is as a teaser for the next issue.

Appearance means the character is in the story (ads need not apply). Full appearance means the character is in a significant portion of the story (not one :censored: panel).

No, the hobby invented it because there is a significant history of characters appearing at the end of an issue as a lead-in to the next story, whether it's their 1st or 497th appearance. Back when people actually read the books, they would want to see their favourite characters in more than one panel. 

Yes, I understand the post-hoc rationalization for why the market decided IH 181 is the first appearance of Wolverine, rather than IH 180. And, I'm sure the collector market would totally agree with your argument if Batman was introduced in TEC 26, in exactly the same way as Wolverine was in IH 180. :eyeroll:

I really don't care. It is what it is, whether I agree with it or not.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

55 minutes ago, combiner1 said:

It’s funny, CGC wouldn’t take a stand on which book was/is BWL first appearance but they note all the 1 shot as origin issues 

that's why I was saying it's so odd that they havent said anything. It's been 6 months now since it came out. 

Edited by SpeedforceKJ