• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Optimal temperature for storing comics?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello I was wondering peoples opinions on what the optimal storage temperature for storing comics is and how to achieve them. I currently have my comics stored in a corflute box stored in a cupboard which keeps them in a dark and dry place as many suggest, Humidity is averages 47.0% yearly and doesn't go above 60% so thats not an issue. . I'm just  of worried about the temperature. 

I live in Adelaide, Australia where the average temperate for most of the year is 29 °C (84 °F). But We usually have a few days above 40 °C (100 °F)  .  So my questions are is it safe to expose my comics to temperatures above 30 °C (86 °F) and what are the best ways to achieve lower temperatures when storing comics. Thank you to anyone who can help.

A thermostat. Heating in the winter, cooling in the summer. That's one essential macro-factor to a favorable storage environment. Preferably, the middle floors, in the 66 to 72 degree range; not the basement, not the attic, and in an area that offers the least amount of temperature and humidity fluctuation. No prolonged, direct exposure to light or in close proximity to the heating/cooling elements/ducts.  

I think the biggest thing is to avoid temperature swings.  Particularly sudden violent swings.  A bank may keep the vault at 70 while open, but over a three day weekend with no HVAC ,it can be twenty degrees different, or more.  

I'm always surprised at the stories of people keeping or finding rare comics in basements and attics. Same with movie posters as insulation. Somehow they are still in fairly high grades. I think the most important is a consistent temperature. Also not to store anything valuable against an exterior wall, that being a wall exposed to the outside versus a wall next to another room. If you have to use the exterior wall, move your storage item a few inches off the wall. Worth a read.

https://loc.gov/preservation/care/books.html

On 3/9/2018 at 1:48 AM, Darren_93 said:

Hello I was wondering peoples opinions on what the optimal storage temperature for storing comics is and how to achieve them. I currently have my comics stored in a corflute box stored in a cupboard which keeps them in a dark and dry place as many suggest, Humidity is averages 47.0% yearly and doesn't go above 60% so thats not an issue. . I'm just  of worried about the temperature. 

I live in Adelaide, Australia where the average temperate for most of the year is 29 °C (84 °F). But We usually have a few days above 40 °C (100 °F)  .  So my questions are is it safe to expose my comics to temperatures above 30 °C (86 °F) and what are the best ways to achieve lower temperatures when storing comics. Thank you to anyone who can help.

Cool, dark and dry.  60 F. 50% relative humidity.  Dark room.

2 hours ago, Moondog said:

Cool, dark and dry.  60 F. 50% relative humidity.  Dark room.

Doesn't matter if the room is dark or light. They should be stored in darkness. Drawers, cabinets, etc. Normal, home, room temperature. A heating/cooling system set for somewhere between 66 and 72 degrees. What's comfortable for the occupants is fine for the comics as long as they're not exposed to heat, moisture, light. Avoid storage in basements (too moist) and attics (too dry/heat). The basement turns the paper to mush and the attic turns the paper brown/brittle.