• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Premium for a Census Topper
3 3

38 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jimjum12 said:

Premium for PQ ? ..........*ahem*................plus top census............... uncommon in grade (..... and yes, 10 copies at 8.0 and up is not that many) ....... I guess what we have here is either a meeting of the" PQ Don't Matter Klub " .......or some Lois haters (shrug) GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Actually, I think it's only five copies in 8.0 and up (the 8.5 and four 8.0s) or six if you count a restored 8.5.  I don't think the price for the 8.5 is shocking in and of itself; it's the huge price gap between the 8.0 and 8.5 sold in the same auction that's surprising, at least to me. 

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Actually, I think it's only five copies in 8.0 and up (the 8.5 and four 8.0s) or six if you count a restored 8.5.  I don't think the price for the 8.5 is shocking in and of itself; it's the huge price gap between the 8.0 and 8.5 sold in the same auction that's surprising, at least to me. 

I was just mocking you in a good natured fashion....... It's a good topic for discussion.... and like you, 25K for an 8.5 seems like room to grow in my eyes..... the 8.0 is marginal with poor PQ *ahem* and probably ended up with a bargain hunter who got a good deal. Personally..... I wish I had kept the 8.5 I sold for 2500 or so..... it had slight color touch and transcendent gloss..... and OW/W ........Live and learn..... GOD BLESS....

4 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I was just mocking you in a good natured fashion....... It's a good topic for discussion.... and like you, 25K for an 8.5 seems like room to grow in my eyes..... the 8.0 is marginal with poor PQ *ahem* and probably ended up with a bargain hunter who got a good deal. Personally..... I wish I had kept the 8.5 I sold for 2500 or so..... it had slight color touch and transcendent gloss..... and OW/W ........Live and learn..... GOD BLESS....

Again with the jokes? :baiting: We're talking comic books here; humor is out of place!

Do you think the book you reference above is the 8.5 purple copy on the census?  I don't recall having seen it.

I suppose I should throw in the disclosure that I own one of the 8.0s.  I'll be expressing it down to Sarasota tomorrow.  Be an easy 9.2 with a press. :insane:

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Again with the jokes? :baiting: We're talking comic books here; humor is out of place!

Do you think the book you reference above is the 8.5 purple copy on the census?  I don't recall having seen it.

I suppose I should throw in the disclosure that I own one of the 8.0s.  I'll be expressing it down to Sarasota tomorrow.  Be an easy 9.2 with a press. :insane:

I did have it slabbed......it was 8.5 slp if I remember correctly .......I'd share a photo but Photobucket was wrong about how desperate I'd be to get my pictures back..... It would surprise me if it were still in a PLOD...... removing the ct would have been easy...... GOD BLESS....

...it was a beauty.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:34 AM, Sqeggs said:

The 8.5 does look nicer, but the colors on the 8.0 also seem strong to me, and it has a better wrap.  Maybe this is one of those cases where two people sniped in preemptive bids, not expecting they would actually have to pay this much. hm

+1. Better wrap for sure.

9 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Yeah, that one went higher than I expected.  I love that book but that price was more than I was willing to pay.  So much for being able to pick up bargains on Hake's!

45 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

+1. Better wrap for sure.

I actually or fer the better wrap personally and would like to add that I pay PREMIUMS for the lowest graded copies on the census I just enjoy a GA book with several spine ticks more for some odd reason ?

but I really only practice this to make your guys high grade books worth more  price/point wise (# @GAtor ©️™️) so...your welcome!!! ?

Just now, gino2paulus2 said:

I actually or fer the better wrap personally and would like to add that I pay PREMIUMS for the lowest graded copies on the census I just enjoy a GA book with several spine ticks more for some odd reason ?

but I really only practice this to make your guys high grade books worth more  price/point wise (# @GAtor ©️™️) so...your welcome!!! ?

Always sacrificing yourself for the greater good of the hobby! (worship)

4 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Love it! You da man!

On 3/11/2018 at 9:04 PM, jimjum12 said:

On 3/11/2018 at 9:11 PM, Sqeggs said:

Hey Jimjum - with all of those *ahems* I think you need a cough drop!  

This sale is hard to fathom (for me), except that there were clearly two (or more) bidders racing to the top of the Fortress. That makes it easy to fathom I guess, though I don't see what all the fuss is about this book. It isn't rare; there's 148 universal copies on the census, and human grading precision has an error range of at least +/- 0.5 grade on any given day.  That said, I'm not a Superman kind of guy, so maybe I'm missing something very basic, but is Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #1 considered to be a classic/iconic/landmark/artist-awesome book that stirs the passions and generates creative time-payment plans? (Apologies to all you Superman friends out there.)

That said, there are some books out there that I've paid unfathomable prices for... there's enough comic books in the Garden of Eden to tempt us all!

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

Hey Jimjum - with all of those *ahems* I think you need a cough drop!  

This sale is hard to fathom (for me), except that there were clearly two (or more) bidders racing to the top of the Fortress. That makes it easy to fathom I guess, though I don't see what all the fuss is about this book. It isn't rare; there's 148 universal copies on the census, and human grading precision has an error range of at least +/- 0.5 grade on any given day.  That said, I'm not a Superman kind of guy, so maybe I'm missing something very basic, but is Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #1 considered to be a classic/iconic/landmark/artist-awesome book that stirs the passions and generates creative time-payment plans? (Apologies to all you Superman friends out there.)

That said, there are some books out there that I've paid unfathomable prices for... there's enough comic books in the Garden of Eden to tempt us all!

Not rare as such, but famously tough to find in high grade. Still, either the price for the 8.5 was waaaay high or the price for the 8.0 was waaaay low.  Or both!

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, N e r V said:

There are better 8.0’s out there too.

03096FCB-9615-459A-8E21-337B96472FCD.thumb.jpeg.7b08856a13c31cb919f23e40b069e77e.jpeg

Although my picture of it could have been better....

That's not look like a 8.0 let's be real. I have seen better 6.0 :baiting:boot.jpg.c873cf1b4c4e4717c6ec604b1a1cdbed.jpg

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I pay 2x's the 2.0 value for those :whee:.