• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your ideal best offer system?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, mycomicshop said:

We are working on adding a best offer system. It wouldn't affect most of our inventory, but would be an option that individual consignors could turn on at their discretion on an item by item basis. Consignors who don't want to use it wouldn't have to use it. 

Before we finalize anything, I wanted to solicit some feedback about the rules and settings of a best offer system. Feedback from the perspective of either the seller or buyer is welcome.

What features/behaviors do you like, what features/behaviors do you dislike?

Here are some possible topics:

• system wide auto decline for offers below some value level - what should that level be, should it be fixed and easy to calculate by the buyer or should it be hidden so a buyer can't easily open with making the minimum allowable offer
  • seller-configurable auto decline, auto accept options - able to set as account-wide defaults as % of your asking price, plus override on an item by item basis
  • how many chances should the buyer have to make an offer on a given item, and is this number known in advance or random/hidden
  • if a buyer makes an offer and is declined/countered and is making a new offer, assuming the new offer has to be higher than the previously rejected offer, can it be any higher amount, or should there be some minimum % increment higher?
  • should the highest previously rejected offer be visible publicly, or not? If some sellers like this and some don't, is it worth making it a consignor option?
  • minimum values - is there a minimum value where best offer shouldn't even be an option because it's not worth the extra steps to buy

If you were designing your own ideal best offer system, how would you want it to work? If you've previously used best offer on ebay or elsewhere, what did you like about it, and what did you find annoying/unlikable about it?

PS: Also, just want to mention that I have seen the previous feedback here regarding some of our consignors having their items priced unrealistically high. We are making a number of changes over the next few months that should help address that.)

Glad to see MCS is always trying to make things better.  That is what makes you guys so well liked.  To answer your questions....

• seller-configurable auto decline, auto accept options - able to set as account-wide defaults as % of your asking price, plus override on an item by item basis

This is sounds great.

• how many chances should the buyer have to make an offer on a given item, and is this number known in advance or random/hidden

Three seems reasonable to me (although if this is like eBay, people will just get someone else to make the 4th and subsequent offers for them).

• if a buyer makes an offer and is declined/countered and is making a new offer, assuming the new offer has to be higher than the previously rejected offer, can it be any higher amount, or should there be some minimum % increment higher?

Any amount.  If they want to use up their 3 chances raising their offer by a small amount, that is up to them.

• should the highest previously rejected offer be visible publicly, or not? If some sellers like this and some don't, is it worth making it a consignor option?

No! (I guess if some consignors want it, then that is up to them)

• minimum values - is there a minimum value where best offer shouldn't even be an option because it's not worth the extra steps to buy

No opinion.

I would like something that mirrors the current eBay system, so that would be this option:

I think the three strikes and your out approach that eBay has is also fine. Once a buyer has been declined on three offers for an item they no longer have the ability to make another offer on that item. Keeps it simple and puts the onus on the buyer to make realistic offers if they actually want an item.

I'm not a fan of publicly visible offers because that could lead to some unfortunate shenanigans on the part of sellers (having a friend make an offer that they will decline so it raises the "floor" of any future offers).

24 minutes ago, MadGenius said:

I would like something that mirrors the current eBay system, so that would be this option:

I think the three strikes and your out approach that eBay has is also fine. Once a buyer has been declined on three offers for an item they no longer have the ability to make another offer on that item. Keeps it simple and puts the onus on the buyer to make realistic offers if they actually want an item.

I'm not a fan of publicly visible offers because that could lead to some unfortunate shenanigans on the part of sellers (having a friend make an offer that they will decline so it raises the "floor" of any future offers).

I echo this stuff.

7 hours ago, icefires said:

Or you could be like Metropolis/Comic Connect -

Allow offers, then counter with 96% of asking price.....

This is why the auto-decline might not be the best to keep sales up, it just seems convenient for everyone.

I am all for copying the current ebay system though.  The change I would make is maybe allow the buyer or seller to set the length of time that an offer/counter offer is valid for.  Don't give everyone a blanket 48 hours.

I agree with everything I've read except a maximum numbers of offers allowed. Let people make all the offers they want, especially if we are talking about fully automated accept/reject.

Just as buyers often lowball, sellers try to hit home runs. So if a seller has a minimum acceptable price that will trigger auto-accept, the key word is acceptable. If a buyer wants to spend all day creeping up to that number, let them do it. Auto accept means the seller wants at least X for the book; you're in the business of moving books; empower deals to get done.

13 hours ago, shadroch said:

Possible problem I don't see addressed.

I make a $200 offer on a $250 book on Monday. Consigner doesn't respond until Sunday.  A B.O. should have an expiration date.

I have made best offer a lot on ebay. The 48 hours:censored: for me. I want to buy a book I want it now!!!. I have to wait 48 hours when I found the same thing elsewhere and I buy it. I buy one from someone else than 5 hours later get I accept from ebay and now I am stuck :frustrated: I buy some high $ books sometimes so 24 hours is the most I want to wait..................

I have been doing this since 1970's and have only heard good thing's  abought mycomicshop I have not bought from them since there is no meat on the bone on the other end

pp.png.717bf364a7d3d9aa1e8b074e8a1d12e3.png(shrug) but you guys have a great Rep.(thumbsu

Edited by woowoo

21 hours ago, shadroch said:

Tastes more like sour grapes to me. 

That implies resentment toward someone or some event in the past. I have no beef with MCS. This is just the wrong place to be doing market feedback surveys. 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:25 PM, MadGenius said:

.... yep. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

Conan is a valued member, looking to make our experiences with his shop better for everyone.  How is this not the right place? Where would you suggest he does this?

I agree with this.  I find the boards are a very good cross section to get website feedback from since they are shopping and looking a multiple sales channels.  While not all of it can be cost justified you do get a lot of valuable information.

Is there another thread this should be in?

If this was the place to whine about missing out on a Daredevil 1 in a sales thread surely it's ok to talk about how best to buy comics.

7 hours ago, shadroch said:

Conan is a valued member, looking to make our experiences with his shop better for everyone.  How is this not the right place? Where would you suggest he does this?

+1  !!  He's  just being busy about his business.  Changes happen.  He's letting us know about them.  Sounds almost like a tip to me.  A tip of progress !!