• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

opinions of x men 56
1 1

7 posts in this topic

This books feels unread and new in hand. Bright white back cover and inside pages.  Only thing I can see is a tiny chip out of the top right corner from the cutters most likely. Colors are bright and red and the scanner does not do them justice.

x man 56 front cover.jpg

x men 56 back cover.jpg

That's a beauty. It's an "exceptional" as well. Without those two right edge corner, it's a 9.6 any day, maybe more as I don't see any flaws. Thankfully, the corner chip up on the top corner and slight fraying on the bottom corner do not appear to be echoed on the pages or back cover, the back cover appears to be square on all four corners. I've seen CGC graded books grade from 9.0 to 9.4 with the corner chip, similarly with little to no other defect. I can't say I recall ever seeing a 9.6 with a corner chip, but I may have on a Pedigree copy. This certainly looks like any of the better Pedigree copies from the standpoint of quality, so I'm going to venture that even with the chip, a strong likelihood of a 9.4, grade a book on its whole and it's strong enough to get that, if not, a 9.2. I'll go 55/45, 9.4/9.2 on the outcome.

For sure this book gets graded somewhere in the NM range. All I see thats going to keep it down is that upper right corner. There also appears to be something going on around the top staple of the back cover. It has to be an easy 9.2 with 9.4 being the more sane choice. :)

5 hours ago, jharvey said:

9.4 I would get it pressed

Not going to help that top right corner. Exposure to heat or possibly heat and moisture for no reason. Its a 9.4 or 9.2 on a bad day whether there's a little non-color breaking bend or not. And it looks to be the kind of book that can go back and forth between 9.4 and 9.2, flip flop when resubmitted. 9.4 on Monday, 9.2 on Tuesday, that top right corner makes it a "tweener". At any rate, the quality of the book speaks for itself. It will bring a good sized premium over the technical grade it receives based on its exceptional quality. It's unmistakably one of those books that spikes GP, leaving hobbyists to wonder why there was suddenly a spike in the price of an X-Men 56 in NM or NM-.  :bigsmile:

Edited by James J Johnson