• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rest In Peace, John Verzyl
6 6

169 posts in this topic

Always an upbeat and positive force at all the San Diego Cons I attended, and without question one of the cornerstones of the hobby. Dreadful news, more so because it was unexpected. What a loss for the hobby. Condolences to his friends and family.

Edited by goldust40

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, what a thing to wake up to. First thing I saw when I logged on this morning...

I wasn't nearly as close to John as many of you were. I did go to his store in Alhambra on a regular basis. I also interacted with him at many shows at the Ambassador Hotel and Shrine in the early '80's. Always a great guy. Very friendly, passionate and fun to talk to. I would always joke about his "nose bleed" prices at SDCC. Just when you thought you had seen everything, he would whip out some super high grade beauty and just suck the wind outta me.

The hobby has lost a titan and we are all less because of it. I'm sure John is talking the ears off of Edgar Church right now. Rest in Peace John. The hobby is in good hands and you will be missed.

John in 1981 at the Ambassador Hotel with his wall of goodness...

johnverzyl1981c.jpg

20 years old there................. I was still laying out of work a couple days a week at that age ..... and still under my parents roof. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Oh wow, sad news.  Such great memories of the Comic Heaven auctions even when online dominated, it was a refreshing blast to sub my bids like I always did.  His and Wooley's were my two favorites.  I had the good fortune to meet him at a convention and he was so pleasant and an engaging talker.  He remembered me from the auctions, what a memory and nice man.  RIP.

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Oh wow, sad news.  Such great memories of the Comic Heaven auctions even when online dominated, it was a refreshing blast to sub my bids like I always did.  His and Wooley's were my two favorites.  I had the good fortune to meet him at a convention and he was so pleasant and an engaging talker.  He remembered me from the auctions, what a memory and nice man.  RIP.

Receiving those auction catalogs in the mail was always fun. Stop what you're doing, and see what Jon is offering this year.