• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rest In Peace, John Verzyl
6 6

169 posts in this topic

I don't know the exact details, but John did get into the hobby full bore at a young age.

He had a true entrepreneur's spirit, and when combined with such unbridled passion for the hobby, he was definitely ahead of the curve.

No doubt there was some exaggeration, but he was a master at his craft.

I first met John and his wife back when they had a store in Covina, California.  They eventually moved to the Alhambra location. 

He was a fixture at the SDCC and I loved going to his booth to look at the many cover scans of Gold and Silver age books.  I could not afford 99% of them, but John was always respectful and friendly to me, and he treated me as if I spent a ton of money with him.

I will miss him. 

Even though I never met John. I knew who he was in the hobby. Always heard good things about him. A truly passionate collector.May you rest in peace. My condolences to his family .

2 hours ago, Timely said:

I met John when I was only 17 years old.  He quickly took me under his wing & helped me amass a nice collection at an early age. I used to help him set up at the Shrine show in LA & also in San Diego (that worked out well for both of us as I got to learn from John for free & he got free labor out of me!). Driving from LA to SD with him, he made the trip seem like it only lasted 5 minutes as he always had something to tell me. He has told me so many stories & given me so much information over the past 3 decades I could fill a book. He was larger than life!  He loved a good joke & really loved pulling "harmless" pranks! He was always in either business mode or fun mode. He really took pride in his children & would always tell me about their most recent accomplishments.

I really don't know what else to say right now.  John only posted on these boards one time when our good friend Joe Smejkal passed away a few years ago. I can't believe I'm posting about his passing now. :sorry:

West

verzyl2014SD.jpg

Wonderful post, West! More like a eulogy. I'd love to hear more about these harmless pranks!

12 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Wonderful post, West! More like a eulogy. I'd love to hear more about these harmless pranks!

One time when we went to Disney, we found an employee of the park who was slowly walking through the area. So John & I came up to her and walked around her very closely in small circles for about 5 minutes.  At 1st she did not know we were doing this, but after about a minute & 20 circles around her, she caught on & laughed about it.

Another time John, Nan, Rose & I went to an arcade. Inside there was an air hockey machine. So John started playing against his daughter Rose. He slammed one home and then yelled out loudly, "Eat plastic b itch!"  We all cracked up!

Edited by Timely

11 hours ago, Moondog said:

Nothing was more fun than having John hold court in your booth.  He'd pop over to say hi and we would start chatting.  After a few minutes there would be 4 or 5 people who stopped by to listen in.  Then a few more.  And John loved it.  He could expound on any topic: Pedigrees, Timelys, DCs  - you name it.  And people were drawn to him because his love for comics would just explode from him.  He was the real deal.  He was genuine.  And he'll be missed.

Very sad to hear of this. I just wanted to quote Gary above as it certainly summarizes John well for me. Going to miss seeing him at shows. Hopeful that a man blessed with so many dear friends will be a source of comfort and support for his family.

16 hours ago, woowoo said:
16 hours ago, rjpb said:

The only way one was amassing thousands of Gold and Silver Age books by the time you were 14, even in the early 70s, was if Dad was buying you everything you wanted.

Ya that's true but start collecting when you turn 4 ?

Didn't Fishler also started when he was just a young tad by flipping collectible comic books to his elementary school teacher?

I believe it was said that he had already acquired all of the SA and possibly even the GA keys by the time he was a teenager.

Met John at SDCC.  He thought we'd met before.  I corrected his misapprehension. We then had a nice discussion and his enthusiasm was clear to see.  He was the kind of dealer you like to see - positive and someone who spreads enthusiasm.  Others have conveyed that really well here.  Reading the stories on this thread makes me hope that someone interviewed John sometime about his collecting/dealing experiences.  For me, the next saddest thing after the pain and loss caused to his family and friends by his passing, is the loss of stories that remain untold or unremembered by others. 

On Saturday, after I read this tragic news, I emailed Ron "Redbeard" Pussell and John Knight since they are not board members. They were both, as we were, shocked and saddened. I've known these cool gentlemen for longer than I can remember. Redbeard knew John well and told me a couple of fun stories about deals over the Mile High books. Seems that John was quite "persistant" in working Ron for a deal. Would have like to see that interaction. I've asked Ron and John to come on here several times. They have a lot of great stories but both have declined because of the busy lives they lead. Too bad for us... 

46 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Met John at SDCC.  He thought we'd met before.  I corrected his misapprehension. We then had a nice discussion and his enthusiasm was clear to see.  He was the kind of dealer you like to see - positive and someone who spreads enthusiasm.  Others have conveyed that really well here.  Reading the stories on this thread makes me hope that someone interviewed John sometime about his collecting/dealing experiences.  For me, the next saddest thing after the pain and loss caused to his family and friends by his passing, is the loss of stories that remain untold or unremembered by others. 

Unfortunately, I don't think Vincent Z ever interviewed him for Comic Zone.