• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rest In Peace, John Verzyl
6 6

169 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

John's Lou Ferrigno story is one for the ages.  At some point during one of our lengthy discussions autographs came up and John related his experience at a show where one of his favorite actors was signing.  With a little time on his hands John decided to stand in line to get Lou Ferrigno's autograph.  

At this particular show, Lou Ferrigno  was set-up in front of a loud music pavilion which made communication difficult.  To make matters worse, Lou has a hearing impairment.  As John got close enough in line to actually converse with the actor he blurted out "Love you in King of Queens" ...the TV series Lou was in which was currently airing at the time.  After cupping his hand around his ear, Lou looked over at John, smiled and replied "You love me and you're a queen?"  Alas, John couldn't do anything to correct the misperception because of all the background noise.  

So, a few minutes later John's turn in line came up.  Lou, recalling what he thought he'd heard, signed a Hulk photo for John, then asked him to wait a minute, reaching under the table to pull out another "special" photo of himself ...a fully fleshed out weight-lifting pic in a thong! Handing it to his "smitten" fan with a closed palm stroking gesture Lou then said "please, go back to your room tonight and enjoy yourself!" 

This may be one of the few occasions that John Verzyl was at a loss for words.  The moment had passed and there was no walking back the awkward impression, so he politely accepted the photo.  I can only imagine folks in Lou's autograph line who knew John getting a pretty big kick out of this.  In retrospect, John enjoyed telling this story and it's easy to see why.

The infamous Hulk story. Maybe one of Johns best!

41 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

John's Lou Ferrigno story is one for the ages.  At some point during one of our lengthy discussions autographs came up and John related his experience at a show where one of his favorite actors was signing.  With a little time on his hands John decided to stand in line to get Lou Ferrigno's autograph.  

At this particular show, Lou Ferrigno  was set-up in front of a loud music pavilion which made communication difficult.  To make matters worse, Lou has a hearing impairment.  As John got close enough in line to actually converse with the actor he blurted out "Love you in King of Queens" ...the TV series Lou was in which was currently airing at the time.  After cupping his hand around his ear, Lou looked over at John, smiled and replied "You love me and you're a queen?"  Alas, John couldn't do anything to correct the misperception because of all the background noise.  

So, a few minutes later John's turn in line came up.  Lou, recalling what he thought he'd heard, signed a Hulk photo for John, then asked him to wait a minute, reaching under the table to pull out another "special" photo of himself ...a fully fleshed out weight-lifting pic in a thong! Handing it to his "smitten" fan with a closed palm stroking gesture Lou then said "please, go back to your room tonight and enjoy yourself!" 

This may be one of the few occasions that John Verzyl was at a loss for words.  The moment had passed and there was no walking back the awkward impression, so he politely accepted the photo.  I can only imagine folks in Lou's autograph line who knew John getting a pretty big kick out of this.  In retrospect, John enjoyed telling this story and it's easy to see why.

Yes, he loved telling that story. 

I'll have to tell you the "mock turtle soup" joke that became famous at San Diego dinners some time.  It was a joke that was told by him for about 25 years per my & others request.  It became a yearly "tradition" for anyone who went to those crazy SD dinners to hear it!

I just wanted to echo all the wonderful things that have been said about John Verzyl. He was a larger than life character. I was fortunate to meet and speak with him several times at the Wizard World Chicago shows. His booth exuded fun and madness, and the scene at the Comic Heaven booth was more like a party than a retail event. He was always in tow with Nan, Rose, and little John, all wonderful warm-hearted people, and the laughing, hooting, and horsing around were non-stop. Free snacks abounded. He was also the epitome of a comic book collector. One year John agreed to a trade me his Hit Comics #3 (see my sig line) for two low-ish grade books (Green Lantern and All-Flash), not because he "needed" those books or thought he was getting a great deal out of the trade, but because he just liked the covers and loved comics, and maybe saw how much I wanted to own a Hit Comics cover by Lou Fine.

Wouldn't it be great if little John, Nan, Rose, and the rest of John's entourage keep up this one-of-a-kind comic heaven on earth. Based on the beautiful testimonials here, there's no doubt that business would remain strong.

From Johns daughter Rose:

We will celebrate and share our love for dad, John Verzyl, at Sparkman/Hillcrest funeral home in Dallas on Sunday, March 18th at noon. We will be going with dad’s wishes for a closed casket, so that everyone can hold on to their memories of dad.

18 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I nearly pissed myself when I read the above-quoted story.  I am sorry for everyone's loss; and given all the wonderful stories about him, I wish more dealers/collectors brought his positive energy to the hobby.  It's great to watch the books we own appreciate in value, but at the end of the day...collecting is supposed to be fun.  I wish I had known him.  RIP John.

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

From Johns daughter Rose:

We will celebrate and share our love for dad, John Verzyl, at Sparkman/Hillcrest funeral home in Dallas on Sunday, March 18th at noon. We will be going with dad’s wishes for a closed casket, so that everyone can hold on to their memories of dad.

I live in Dallas and plan to attend. Are there any other boardies that might be able to go? Maybe we could tip a glass in his honor afterward. 

25 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I live in Dallas and plan to attend. Are there any other boardies that might be able to go? Maybe we could tip a glass in his honor afterward. 

I'm working on my flight, but not 100% sure I can get there

15 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

From ComicLink

In Remembrance of John Verzyl

JohnVerzylPicWithMarkandSteve.JPG.3663aff326f27bdde7bd4d898b01ad2d.JPG

John Verzyl with Mark Haspel, Steve Borock, and 
his All-American #16 Mile High

It is with both deep sadness and fond remembrance that I compose this email about one of the giants in our hobby, suddenly lost to us over the past weekend. It is shocking news to us all, and coming to terms with it is very difficult. 

How can it be that this man who had one of the strongest life forces we've ever experienced, is now gone, just like that? I am sorry if you knew John and this is the way you are finding out about this loss. It is painful, and many of us are grieving for John, for his family and for ourselves because we will miss him dearly. John was a very big man in many ways. He had a BIG personality, a big mind, a big heart, and a big smile. His passion for this hobby--and especially high-grade pedigree comic books (particularly Edgar Church/Mile High examples and Timelys) was second to none. His knowledge was deep, he was eager to share it and this generosity was cherished by many.

We all respected John for what he accomplished within the hobby but he was also a wonderful person to be around. He was a dynamic, powerful force of positive energy--always smiling, always curious (though he already knew as much or more than anyone else), and always interested in other people and in drawing us in to chat for hours--even at the most inopportune times. His stories were hysterical. What I will remember the most is the sparkle in his eyes, his smile, his unique voice, his sense of humor, and his boundless energy. 

I've reached out to a number of John's close friends in the hobby, and you may find the below words they have to say about John meaningful. May we all leave behind such positive remembrances.

Make time for your friends,

Josh Nathanson

Mark Haspel:
One of my very best friends, John Verzyl, passed away Friday night. John was the most generous person I have ever known. He treated everyone with kindness and compassion. He always made each person he talked to feel special. There were so many private acts of kindness he did for so many. Things he never wanted anyone to know about. He did these things to help out people in need with no thought of reward or recognition. He did it because he was blessed in his life and felt it his moral duty to help others in his community and beyond. He has inspired me and countless others. I am a better person for having known him.

He was one of the biggest and most well known comic book collectors in the world. His comic book knowledge was unsurpassed. He didn't just have most every cover committed to memory. He could also remember a comic book he saw over 30 years ago with uncanny detail. I've witnessed this hundreds of times. It was supernatural. Genius does not even begin to describe him. Most of the comics pictured in the 1989 Photo Journal were his copies. The comic book collecting hobby has lost one of its greats.

Over the years, I have grown to call his family, my family. I have visited them in their home, spent vacations with them at Disney World with their children. John was a big part of my life. Spending time with John was something I always looked forward to. I can't believe that my daughter is going to miss out on going to Disney with John.

On top of all this, he was the funniest person on earth. We could make each other laugh for hours, in person, at dinner, over the phone, wherever. We had so many memories together I will treasure forever.

John, I love you and I will always miss you, my brother.

Steve Borock:
John's passing is not just a loss for his family, friends and myself, but also a huge loss for our hobby and community. For me personally, John is irreplaceable as a friend and fellow hobbyist.

John was, in every sense of the word, a collectors collector and probably the largest seller of very high grade and pedigree comic books. The knowledge this giant of a man, or in comic code, "KING-SIZE" man, helped shape generations of collectors and dealers. Myself included.The knowledge he gave to even the "giants" in our hobby is incalculable. 

John lived life to it's fullest. Always a kind word for everyone, a giant laugh with a crazy sense of humor, and had one of the best collections on the planet while at the same time being very humble about that. The only thing John loved more than comics were his children. A prouder father would be damn hard to find!
I could and would probably write about John for days, but my heart is broken at the moment, and I am having a hard time writing and editing though the tears, but something needed to be written in honor of my friend, teacher and confidant. 

John, I love and miss you terribly, my brother, but I know you are hanging out with Mickey Mantle explaining comic books to him over a giant steak and your favorite fuffy drink with whipped cream on top! Enjoy it the same way you enjoyed life!

West Stephan:
I met John when I was only 17 years old.  He quickly took me under his wing & helped me amass a nice collection at an early age. I used to help him set up at the Shrine show in LA & also in San Diego (that worked out well for both of us as I got to learn from John for free & he got free labor out of me!). Driving from LA to SD with him, he made the trip seem like it only lasted 5 minutes as he always had something to tell me. He has told me so many stories & given me so much information over the past 3 decades I could fill a book. He was larger than life!  He loved a good joke & really loved pulling "harmless" pranks! He was always in either business mode or fun mode. He really took pride in his children & would always tell me about their most recent accomplishments
I really don't know what else to say right now. I can't believe I'm posting about his passing now. 

Steve Geppi:
It's almost impossible to describe the loss we have suffered as a community, as a hobby, and as a business with the passing of John Verzyl. Yet as staggering as our loss is in those areas, it doesn't begin to approach the hole his departure leaves in the lives of those of us who were blessed to call him 'friend.' I've known him since he was 11 years old. John enthusiastically shared his loves of family, food, and Golden Age comics. He gave freely of his expertise and actively encouraged others to do likewise. And he backed up the way he extolled the things he loved by being equally eager to hear about the passions of others. It was difficult to have a short conversation with John because he was simply a wonderful person with whom to converse. This is a like a punch in the heart.

Bob Overstreet:
It's difficult to imagine a more significant or shocking loss to our ranks. Losing John Verzyl at any age, let alone so young at 57, is a crushing blow for everyone who knew him. I can barely take it in. He has been active in the world of comic books for almost his entire life, and he has made major contributions to the Guide as an Overstreet Advisor for 30 years. During each of those three decades, he's eagerly participated in extolling the fun of collecting comics, sharing their incredible history, and correcting misconceptions. He gave freely of his time, his advice and his friendship. He was an original and will remain that way in the memories of his family, friends and colleagues. What a sad, sad thing this is.

Jim Halperin:
John Verzyl: A Sunny Force of Nature
My coworkers and I, along with countless others in the comics collecting field, have been walking around like zombies this week, numb with shock. Yet sometimes we can't help smiling through our grief, wistfully recalling some of John Verzyl's characteristic moments.
I rarely attend comic shows, but when I did, I probably talked with John more than with anyone else. Once John started telling stories or launching into a sales pitch, it was impossible to leave. Not that I wanted to - nobody could sell like John, or keep you engaged and happy while bombarding you with his spiels. He got me to pull the trigger almost every time, mostly through sheer persistence and his infectious joy just to be doing what he was doing.

I'm especially glad that my son Mikey got to spend time with him recently because John was a terrific role model: devoted dad, kind, brilliant, a generous teacher, and a joyous person, consistently grateful for every piece of good fortune that ever came his way. I once told Mikey that John was probably the greatest comics dealer of all time, and after a very short time with him, my son had no choice but to believe that. John worked as hard as anyone in the business, but to him working was really just playing. He sat through almost every live auction we held since our first one in 2001. Literally scores of them. Always smiling and fully engaged.

John was extremely analytical, and fierce when competing for deals and for business, but I never heard him say a negative word about any competitor... or anyone, ever, really. He wanted to win, yet he still rooted for everyone else. Over the years I've tried to channel that quality - and as many others as I could - from John. 

In comic-dom, John Verzyl was part of our ether. I'd imagine many of my colleagues feel, just like I do, that suddenly there's a little less oxygen and a lot less energy in the air that surrounds us. I've known many brilliant people, particularly in comics, this Hobby of Many Geniuses, yet none more brilliant than John. And for my taste, John was the most fun and the most childlike. I guess that might be the hardest part of accepting that he's gone - he was like a big, happy, sweet, precocious kid... and children are supposed to outlive us. I still want to believe he'll be at the next Comic-Con, convincing me to buy from him, for too much money, something that I desperately want, even though I shouldn't.

Jeff Delaney:
Twenty years ago, I told John that I was into high grade Golden Age Action Comics, and he never forgot it.  I could barely reach his booth in San Diego before he'd be bringing out his current Actions, along with a Hostess Cupcake and a bottle of water.  It could be said that he had the memory of an elephant, but in truth, he had the memory of a large herd of stampeding elephants, and I will greatly miss hearing his tales of comic book finds and deals, always related in vivid, Technicolor detail.  How he's 99% sure this book is an unrecognized San Francisco copy, or that the reason for the amazing ink reflectivity on Church books is because Edgar had them stacked so high in his basement that the cumulative weight caused the cover inks to rise to the surface.  

Who talks like that?  Only John, and I'll miss him.   

Jon Dolmayan:
John  Verzyl  was an iconic collector/dealer. His loss will leave all of us missing his expertise, his guidance , and most of all his passion for the comic collecting hobby. Truly a great friend to all. 

Matt Nelson:
I was lucky enough to get to know John over the years. He was not only a major force in the industry, but the sweetest guy with a big heart. Every time I saw him he was cheery and full of conversation. And whip smart. It was always fun navigating through deals with him; I always walked away a little smarter each time. I really appreciated his sense of humor, which perfectly fit his personality. When I think of him I can't help but recall those hilarious moments we had. 

John will leave a giant void in this hobby. His extraordinary memory, his immeasurable influence on the market, and the countless friends and collectors he made along the way will never be duplicated. I miss him terribly. 

J.C. Vaughn:
The uniformity of the comments about John Verzyl will tell you much of what you should know about this man. His friends are legion, his colleagues are devoted, and his detractors... well, there just aren't any. He set the bar for being an Overstreet Advisor. John's contributions to The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide over three decades are far, far too numerous to count. They are dwarfed, though, but his contributions to the field in the form of his tutelage, and more importantly his friendship. I had imagined having great discussions with him for years and years to come. This is a painful reminder to make sure our friends know what they mean to us.

Post of the year. 

My heart hangs heavy at John's passing, but seeing all of the shared love warms my collector's spirit.  I'm sure many here who knew John will miss him in ways that defy discussion, but to provide a little more context for those who only know him through second hand discussions here's a bit more about the man and his unique place in the hobby.

We live close enough for John to drop by when he was in the area visiting customers and picking up Heritage wins.  John's kindness, sense of humor and generosity with friends were limitless.  I knew him as a savvy dealer with a big heart.  Just this past Christmas he and Little John donned Santa hats and posed for this photo when delivering a long sought after grail book that he'd gone the extra mile to reholder per my request...

60fc03c7-b882-499b-bb07-2cd470656775_zps

For years we exchanged gifts during the holidays ...John would surprise us with huge baskets of imported chocolates and confections... and then spend many long hours discussing the state of the comic business, future of the hobby, media successes & failures, conventions, etc.  He always had the youthful enthusiasm of a devoted comic fan while retaining a clear sighted view of the hobby and where it's headed.  I can't imagine going to major conventions ...as Rox & I inevitably will... and not hearing John's jovial voice.  And I haven't even gotten to the coin flips, ...but that's another story.

I was shocked and saddened to see the email today from ComicLink on John's passing. For 33 of my 35 years of collecting I never had the opportunity to do business with him. I'd see him at the New York show, or others, but always in passing. In 2016, NYCC, I finally stopped by the booth and wound up in a very long conversation with him. He was a lot of fun to chat with, extremely easy going, and he made it very easy for me to buy a book from him over the course of the year that I normally would not have been able to afford all at once. Through the months we had a chance to talk comics, family and more, and it became clearer and clearer to me what a kind and genuine person he was. We made a plan for another round of purchases in 2017, and at the New York show as much as I enjoyed the usual walk, I was most excited to get to his booth, see what he had in store for me and shoot the ----. I spent a long time at the booth with him, and got a chance to meet and talk with the rest of the family as well. I last spoke with him right before the holidays about a purchase and his offer to help me to acquire my grail, a conversation which lasted 5-10 minutes on a call that lasted over an hour talking about collecting and family. And when it came to the latter, it was clear that he was incredibly proud of his. I can only imagine how devastated they are right now. My deepest condolences to Verzyl family and all of you who knew him so well! 

So sad. I have some great memories of talking to him and buying books from his auctions. It's no exaggeration about his memory. I bought books from his auctions and then one year in San Diego he saw my name tag and knew where I was from and what I had bought from him. I will really miss seeing him in San Diego every year. 

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Sunday we say our goodbyes to John but in the interim I’ve thought back on some fond memories 

One nycc a few years ago (bridget wasn’t in attendance) I got a little sick during the con. John and Rose noticed I wasn’t myself and was obviously feeling bad. They proceeded to bring me chicken soup, crackers , Gatorade and check on me all through the day. Keep in mind this was at an extremely busy nycc and  John left his booth multiple times. I told him it wasn’t necessary but he insisted ...

another nycc (the con always seems to fall around my birthday) he brought me a cool little birthday cake from some really famous/fancy bakery (little John helped me eat it!)

Like many have recounted , he was a great conversationalist, great story teller, and truthfully he could even make some bs sound “good”. He could remember the first ga Batman I bought from him in 1988 , and he could remember every deal we ever did...

Every Peter Panda 5 I got went to John ....Haspel once told me it was one of his fav books but I never asked him why...didn’t matter. John liked the book, I found copies for him. 

Cat mentioned the coin flips. Some epic deals went my way thanks to those coin flips. And even the one time I lost the flip, John made me flip again so I’d “win”. 

I wasn’t as close to him as Haspel or Borock or West or Cat , but I will certainly miss his phone calls, his  man hugs and his  “love you Gator!” 

:(

Peter Panda 5!  John was a true gentleman, who was full of positive energy and optimism.  He still  had same passion and enthusiasm for comics that he had as a little kid.  We will sorely miss him.

5aa892b6833f2_PeterPanda5_zpscwd6l69p.jpg.9752e8132a7014f524964996f03a7c36.jpg

Edited by BitterOldMan

8 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Sunday we say our goodbyes to John but in the interim I’ve thought back on some fond memories 

One nycc a few years ago (bridget wasn’t in attendance) I got a little sick during the con. John and Rose noticed I wasn’t myself and was obviously feeling bad. They proceeded to bring me chicken soup, crackers , Gatorade and check on me all through the day. Keep in mind this was at an extremely busy nycc and  John left his booth multiple times. I told him it wasn’t necessary but he insisted ...

another nycc (the con always seems to fall around my birthday) he brought me a cool little birthday cake from some really famous/fancy bakery (little John helped me eat it!)

Like many have recounted , he was a great conversationalist, great story teller, and truthfully he could even make some bs sound “good”. He could remember the first ga Batman I bought from him in 1988 , and he could remember every deal we ever did...

Every Peter Panda 5 I got went to John ....Haspel once told me it was one of his fav books but I never asked him why...didn’t matter. John liked the book, I found copies for him. 

Cat mentioned the coin flips. Some epic deals went my way thanks to those coin flips. And even the one time I lost the flip, John made me flip again so I’d “win”. 

I wasn’t as close to him as Haspel or Borock or West or Cat , but I will certainly miss his phone calls, his  man hugs and his  “love you Gator!” 

:(

John never told me exactly why he liked Peter Panda #5 , he just said he liked how the carrots were marching Peter Panda to certain doom.  He did tell me the story about how he got the MH copy of it. Gary Carter (and family) had the MH copy & always had it priced at 15 times guide (Guide was probably $20 at the time).  He said the copy was perfect but as much as he wanted the book, he just couldn't pull the trigger at 15 guide.  He tried to get that book from Gary MANY times.  So, at one SD, Gary was not at the booth, his brother Lane & father Nick were there.  John asked to see the book, asked them how much it was, and bought it right on the spot.  I think they quoted him 3-4 guide on it.

Later that day Gary walked by John's booth & John said to Gary, "Look what I just got!".  Gary looked at John holding the Peter Panda #5 and said, "Good for you John.  I'm glad you finally got it."