• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rest In Peace, John Verzyl
6 6

169 posts in this topic

Very sad news indeed. I hope his family is doing ok.

I always enjoyed seeing John at the Chicago show every year. His set up was legendary. Just looking thru the binders full of color scans of his inventory was a treat. One year, he had nearly the entire Church Zip run for sale. I'll never forget it. That show will not be the same without him,nor will the hobby. RIP John.

I wish this wasn't true. John, his family and I became Friends in the 90s.  Life has gotten in the way, the last few years,  So havent been in touch. We had Many good times. I reach out to his family to give my sympathy and prayers. RIP my comic brother. 

Edited by hhwolfman

I remember his mail in comic auctions and talking to him a few times over the years. Very nice guy. I remember buying an Action Comics 4 from him at his booth in SD.

Edited by Rip

If you are coming to Dallas for John Verzyl's funeral this Sunday, please also join us for a reception at Heritage Auctions immediately following the ceremony.

Heritage Auctions

3500 Maple Avenue, 1st floor

Dallas, Texas 75219

Sunday, March 18

2-4 p.m.

Note we are a 10-minute drive from the Sparkman-Hillcrest funeral home. A parking garage is adjacent to our building.

If you have any questions, please PM, or call me at (214) 409-1377 or email barrys@ha.com.

My colleagues and I look forward to seeing you and hearing your memories of John.

- Barry Sandoval

Edited by PastePotPete

This was shocking news last week, and as all have posted already, John was very friendly at cons and his knowledge of golden age comics was passionate, accurate, and helpful. I did one deal with John at SDCC in 1996 for a VFNM Cap 34 (D copy), and it was a pleasant experience. You will be missed John. I pray his family is making it through this difficult and challenging time. 

I regret not being able to meet him at any of the SDCC . Just always busy roaming around the booths and buying exclusives all day every day. And whenever I'd stop by his booth he was either not present at the time or was conversing with others.

1 minute ago, Dark Knight said:

I regret not being able to meet him at any of the SDCC . Just always busy roaming around the booths and buying exclusives all day every day. And whenever I'd stop by his booth he was either not present at the time or was conversing with others.

yeah, and he was always set up in his usual spot (towards the back) away from the Gold/Silver area with his trademark color photo binders of great books. (thumbsu

28 minutes ago, Primetime said:

yeah, and he was always set up in his usual spot (towards the back) away from the Gold/Silver area with his trademark color photo binders of great books. (thumbsu

Yeah :(. Really nice display too. Will catch your eye as you walk by. So if he does sell a book from one of his photo binders, does he have the book physically in hand or does he need to ship it out to the buyer? 

5 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yeah :(. Really nice display too. Will catch your eye as you walk by. So if he does sell a book from one of his photo binders, does he have the book physically in hand or does he need to ship it out to the buyer? 

I believe most of the photo binder books where not physically at that con, but I do recall some of the photo books being present. 

1 hour ago, Primetime said:
1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I believe most of the photo binder books where not physically at that con, but I do recall some of the photo books being present. 

Almost everything in the binders was present and available at the show. Sometimes, between the storytelling and the snack distribution, it took a bit to dig a specific book out.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

a warm hand shake

Not exactly the way I would describe it, but John's hand-shake was definitely memorable.

John was a nice man but it wasn't easy to buy from him if you didn't have the big bucks.  I wanted a Showcase 30 he had at his booth at the Shrine in LA back in the late 1980s.  He wanted $1000.00 for the comic in what he graded as a VF+.  I think that was over 10x OSPG.  He wouldn't budge on price.  I really wanted the comic.  I ended up buying the same comic in the same grade 25 years later for a lot less money.  He spent almost an hour talking my ear off why it was a good buy and even a bargain--and that was back in 1981.

Anyway, it's sad and tragic he died so young.  No one does deserves such an untimely death.  In his memory here are a few passages of one of my favorite hymns.  In fact this hymn appears in seven John Ford directed movies. People are always dying in John Ford westerns.

Shall we gather at the river where bright angels feet have trod

With its crystal tide forever flowing by the throne of God

Refrain:

Yes, we'll gather at the river

The beautiful beautiful river

Gather with the Saints at the river

That flows by the throne of God

Ere we reach the Shining river

Lay we every burden down

Gather our spirits will deliver

And provide a robe and a crown

Refrain:

Soon we'll reach the silver river

Soon our pilgrimage will cease

Soon our happy hearts will quiver with the melody of  peace

Yes, we'll gather at the river

The beautiful, beautiful river

Gather with the Saints at the river

That flows by the the throne of God

I pray that John hears this great 19th century hymn as he moves to the great land above the sky. I'm hoping someone can sing it at his funeral.  Burl Ives made a wonderful recording of it.

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

Was it well attended and did you go to HA celebration after?

Yes I attended the HA celebration afterward.  Met many boardies. Bob Overstreet was here. All the hitters were here. Whitlock from New Force, Vincent Zurzola, Borock, Haspel, Cat Conrad, Jim Halperin,  Richard from Bedrock Comics, and on and on. There was a lot of humor but a pervasive sense of loss, too

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost
Accuracy