• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long have you been collecting art?

How long hace you been a serious art collector?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How long collecting

• Less than 1 year
    • 2-5 years
    • 6-10 years
    • 11+ years

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/2018 at 04:00 AM

35 posts in this topic

Not sure if this has been done before - but either way - could be fun to figure out.

So the question is how long have you been collecting - but I would like to add - consistently- full fledged - deeply interested in the hobby.  If you got a sketch at a con when you were 10 but didnt start actively collecting (searching out and buying art) until you were 30 - start the count at 30.

Edited by Panelfan1

10 hours ago, Bird said:

you need more choices at the higher ends. I myself am in for at least 25 years.

Impossible - aren't we all just 26 with x year's experience?:foryou:

Got your point - but as many have already polled - will consider the change if we do this again in a while.

About 4 years at the beginning of the 1980's. Made the mistake of getting married to a financial Hoover vacuum, and was retired by necessity. Eventually, I got rid of the appliance and picked up again about 6 years ago. Boy, have things changed. 

'99 was my entry point, when for some reason, I looked at the links on John Byrne's message board and saw a link to JB's art rep Jim Warden's site... my world hasn't been the same since!

Dealing with Jim is a great way to get introduced to the hobby... what a nice guy.

In 2003 I took a whole year off, had to stop cold turkey, because I kept getting carried away with Ebay art auctions. In 2004 I got back in, and have practiced a more restrained approached ever since. I'm glad I don't know what I missed out on during my year long  hiatus. 

Actively collected from 2000-2005, then marriage, house and kids caused me to step away from the hobby for a while. Dipped my toes back in around 2009-2010. Actively started buying regularly in 2011 to current. So overall I'd say about 12 years of active collecting.

Spent some time actively trying to learn about the hobby before making my first purchase last July.  I've purchased two other pieces since then, but not sure I want to continue.  I think I might buy 1-2 higher end pieces and call it good.  Seems that would produce a better outcome than buying lots of random pages, at least for me.  The problem is what are those 1-2 pieces; how do I narrow down the field?  And can I stop at 1-2?  Hmm...

EDIT: Looks like I'm the sole under one year guy.  Look at me go.

Edited by Andahaion

I chose the 6-10 option but as I think of it, I think I am actually in the 11+ category, barely. I don’t think of myself as being in the category as many long-timers as witness in my collection the lack of great bronze/silver age art that I wasn’t able to pick up at pennies on the dollar of what they are worth now.