• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looken' at GPA over here and...
4 4

50 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, NoMan said:

…every comic I've bought thinking it was an "investment" I've failed at. Miserably. Glad that phase of buying for investment purposes was swiftly over.

Just sayen'

Thanks

DilbertInvestingStrip.gif

10 minutes ago, darkstar said:

It would help if you gave examples of what books you purchased and when plus what state they were in.

ugh… Strange Tales 110 comes to mind. CGC 3.5 spent $1,200 about a year and half ago. Last GPA about $920.

That's an example of many.

I was sober when I bought it. 

Edited by NoMan

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

ugh… Strange Tales 110 comes to mind. CGC 3.5 spent $1,200 about a year and half ago. Last GPA about $920.

Hardly a terrible use of funds. 

19 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Hardly a terrible use of funds. 

I guess I got caught up in movie hype/speculation and I'd like to think I'm smarter than that. Apparently I'm not. 

Yeah, I learn the hard way. Can't help it. Did me some hard learnen' . But I did learn. 

I'll say this: I've built up a damn nice collection in two years time. Damn nice.

Edited by NoMan

37 minutes ago, NoMan said:

You bought a book that was red hot because of movie appeal and can't understand that it cooled down?

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

You bought a book that was red hot because of movie appeal and can't understand that it cooled down?

I understand a lot. It's what I wanna aim my powers of perception at is the question. Falling into the movie hype is the lesson learned here.

10 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Just use disposable income as comics are just a hobby,... my main hobby golf cost a lot with zero financial return

save your investment income for a 401k

Golf? Yeah never understood that one. But to each their own.

Year and a half ago would have been exactly right before the Doctor Strange movie.  The thing about comics compared to a real investment on the stock exchange, you can't short it when you think it is over-valued.  Any time prior to a movie release, comics hit their all time high price, then come back down afterwards like clockwork.  If I could short a comic you can bet I would be selling every single time before the movie and buying every single time a few months after the movie.  Not being able to short an investment essentially breeds what seems like limitless demand and extremely limited supply, causing these short term panic buys.  Problem is, after the movie everyone wants to cash out and make money, but what happened to all the buyers?  Oh they were all just short-term investors themselves or a hobbyist that plans to hold the book forever.  Neither of those groups looking to buy. 

The real big picture question that even I don't know yet, is this period in time going to be the very peak of demand on the proverbial chart?  What will happen in 10 or 20 years from now.  Can marvel keep their characters relevant for that long?  Where else will the long term demand come from when the eventual movie golden age ends?  Sure a silver age may come, and they will probably continue to make hundreds of millions but that slice of the pie may continue to get smaller and smaller over time.

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

I understand a lot. It's what I wanna aim my powers of perception at is the question. Falling into the movie hype is the lesson learned here.

The trick is to buy the books before they get the movie hype or why they're still on the way up 2c