• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looken' at GPA over here and...
4 4

50 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

ugh… Strange Tales 110 comes to mind. CGC 3.5 spent $1,200 about a year and half ago. Last GPA about $920.

That's an example of many.

I was sober when I bought it. 

I might give you $600 for it...., if the back cover is clean. lol

Check out these crazy shenanigans on Strange Tales 126.
I threw in a joke of a bid of $600 expecting a bunch of other snipers to throw in $700, 750, 800.. etc.  Nope! not even close.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Strange-Tales-126-CGC-9-0-Off-White-to-White-Pages-1st-App-Clea-amp-Dormammu-/162929988773

TzN7hpU.jpg

Edited by 90sChild

24 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Check out these crazy shenanigans on Strange Tales 126.
I threw in a joke of a bid of $600 expecting a bunch of other snipers to throw in $700, 750, 800.. etc.  Nope! not even close.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Strange-Tales-126-CGC-9-0-Off-White-to-White-Pages-1st-App-Clea-amp-Dormammu-/162929988773

TzN7hpU.jpg

So are you glad you weren't the winner?

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I know. I'm beyond all that now. Just buy what I like.

..... sometimes we fall prey to our own expectations ............ and then we evolve. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

53 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm not sure!  I would have gladly taken it for $650, maybe even at $700 I would have wanted it, but it was such a last minute thing and I just bought a 7.0 a few weeks ago for $200.  I think I was content with what I had, not really concerned with the easy flip money.
I think this was more of a fluke where few people saw the item for sale, maybe everyone spent their weekly budget on that coupon from friday.

20 minutes ago, 90sChild said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I'm not sure!  I would have gladly taken it for $650, maybe even at $700 I would have wanted it, but it was such a last minute thing and I just bought a 7.0 a few weeks ago for $200.  I think I was content with what I had, not really concerned with the easy flip money.
I think this was more of a fluke where few people saw the item for sale, maybe everyone spent their weekly budget on that coupon from friday.

I was going to say, I'd give you $200 for it, which is probably more than what it's worth!

Seems more like a sellers market than a buyer/investment market. May be better to wait for movie hysteria to die to start buying cheap and/or stick to traditional major keys and think really long-term. Then again, I'm a lousy investor who just likes to talk so you'd better disregard me...

Edited by Silver Ager

34 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

All those 9.0 sales points are very stale. The book has been trending down. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a 'joke' bid ? I understand tracking bids but @ 610, that is not a tracking bid. 

Joke meaning futile, I was expecting it to be at 700+ by the time it went through.  I would gladly pay it however I put my odds of winning with that low of a bid at 2% or less.  

Surprisingly enough the fantucchio pedigree 8.5 on comiclink sold @ $425 last week and a 9.4 @ $1,725.  

8 hours ago, NoMan said:

ugh… Strange Tales 110 comes to mind. CGC 3.5 spent $1,200 about a year and half ago. Last GPA about $920.

That's an example of many.

I was sober when I bought it. 

Doctor Strange is not a household name. Strange tales is not a well known title to those who don't live & breath comics. Thinking of that in low grade as investment is getting too cute. Which others?

To the extent there is such thing as investment books they'd involve the obvious classic title keys first/early appearances of better known characters IMO. Giant size Spider-man 4 is hot at the moment. 

Strange Tales 110 also breaks one of my rules for investment of key books. Dr Strange isn’t on the cover.

My other go to besides the cover app is that it’s got to be a good guy/girl hero. Sure there are great baddies on covers like FF5 or ASM14, but they never get stirred up and remain stale.

FF52, Tec359, ASM129, NM98, BA12 over FF48, IM55, NYX3

My girlfriend wants to buy a FF 52.  She's fine with a low grade beater copy.  I told her that this is not the time to buy one because we're right smack dab in the movie hype.  Usually the hype dies down after a while for a movie key, but I'm not sure about this one.  Maybe she should get one now before it goes up anymore? hm

7 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Strange Tales 110 also breaks one of my rules for investment of key books. Dr Strange isn’t on the cover.

My other go to besides the cover app is that it’s got to be a good guy/girl hero. Sure there are great baddies on covers like FF5 or ASM14, but they never get stirred up and remain stale.

FF52, Tec359, ASM129, NM98, BA12 over FF48, IM55, NYX3

What do you mean by "stirred up"? Because villain first appearances def. see price fluctuations, to include movie hype... And I hate seeing Dr. Doom as your example...come on, he deserves better than that...:sorry:

54 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

My girlfriend wants to buy a FF 52.  She's fine with a low grade beater copy.  I told her that this is not the time to buy one because we're right smack dab in the movie hype.  Usually the hype dies down after a while for a movie key, but I'm not sure about this one.  Maybe she should get one now before it goes up anymore? hm

Had this same thought, but don't do it...it's just the hype creeping into your head.

2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

If your girlfriend is the one that wants it, I would go ahead and get one...., (thumbsu

2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Buy one now - don't wait for the show since I'm sure you will do better online compared to keys at a show.  If the book did not go down after the movie came out it's in a new category which means all bets are off how high copies will climb to.  Lower grade copies are still around for $200.

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Buy one now - don't wait for the show since I'm sure you will do better online compared to keys at a show.  If the book did not go down after the movie came out it's in a new category which means all bets are off how high copies will climb to.  Lower grade copies are still around for $200.

Yeah, probably will have to get one soon.  A good friend of mine runs the show in a few weeks and I have a few buddies setting up.  They know she's looking for one so a copy might turn up there.  She buys all of their low grade GA Looney Tunes and Four Color so they look forward to her coming to the booth.