• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Annual March Madness CGC Grading Tournament - Round of 64
5 5

218 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

I’m not so sure this is correct. Are you saying that the innermost cover grade is the official overall grade of the book? 

I've always thought that was because if the outer cover lowered the grade and grade would rise if you removed outer cover, that wouldnt be logical or good.

42 minutes ago, kav said:
50 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

I’m not so sure this is correct. Are you saying that the innermost cover grade is the official overall grade of the book? 

I've always thought that was because if the outer cover lowered the grade and grade would rise if you removed outer cover, that wouldnt be logical or good.

I guess I need to drag this book out again:

Spoiler

5aa722b8d9bc0_IncredibleHulk131double.thumb.JPG.95d68e85f61b09d9562ae57d2bba9299.JPG

But seriously if the covers are 9.0 and 9.6 and overall grade is 8.5 it has other problems....

8 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

What are the other problems? :gossip:

I mean if its an 8.5 and the covers are 9.0 and 9.6 doesnt that mean something besides covers brought grade down?  I am asserting nothing just spitballing.

9 minutes ago, kav said:
18 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

What are the other problems? :gossip:

I mean if its an 8.5 and the covers are 9.0 and 9.6 doesnt that mean something besides covers brought grade down?  I am asserting nothing just spitballing.

You're on the right track...

24 minutes ago, kav said:

Light Tan to Off White Pages would have something to do with the grade, as well as something we can’t see. 

Maybe a stain inside or detached centerfold....

26 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You're on the right track...

Will this be one of the books in contest?  :insane:

It was always my understanding that with multiple covers, the best of all of the covers gets priority. The rest of the comic is graded as usual. I didn't realize that if the covers are better than the insides that cover grades are also listed. 

2 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

It could just be due to me only seeing this be the case.  Where the grade in the white box is typically the innermost cover.  I thought I’d heard the innermost cover was the official grade because it was considered the “factory wrap”...  Even if the innermost cover has a lower grade than the outer covers.  But I can’t tell you where I would’ve even heard this.  The grade would obviously take into account other factors affecting the book outside of the covers.  But this alone Shines a little light on how the overall grade is compiled.

Edited by comicquant

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I guess I need to drag this book out again:

Hide contents

5aa722b8d9bc0_IncredibleHulk131double.thumb.JPG.95d68e85f61b09d9562ae57d2bba9299.JPG

Well, thats obviously a quality control error.  Especially since it disproves my theory. :ph34r: @BlowUpTheMoon I'll pay for press/clean/resub to get that up to a 9.0

Edited by comicquant

2 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Well, thats obviously a quality control error.  Especially since it disproves my theory. :ph34r:

Not necessarily-since we dont know what brought it down to an 8.5, we have no idea if it would have been the higher cover grade without whatever issue brought it down.

Just now, kav said:

Not necessarily-since we dont know what brought it down to an 8.5, we have no idea if it would have been the higher cover grade without whatever issue brought it down.

I was kidding with BUTM.  At the same time it seems strange that they don't factor the overall grade into the cover's grade.  Essentially this is like having a single cover book with both a cover grade and an interior grade.  Seems like something isn't right.  

Just now, comicquant said:

I was kidding with BUTM.  At the same time it seems strange that they don't factor the overall grade into the cover's grade.  Essentially this is like having a single cover book with both a cover grade and an interior grade.  Seems like something isn't right.  

Oh something isn't right, all right.....I've been knocked out of the contest in the very first round. :boo: