• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lexington Toy & Comic Con 2018 Report
1 1

37 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

In terms of deals I'd pick Gem City over Indi but I've not been to Gem City in a couple years.  Definitely a small Con feel to GC and there seemed to be a ton of old timers with plenty of nice books at years ago prices.

Yup, sums it up exactly!

Just now, F For Fake said:

Yup, sums it up exactly!

Gem City was also the 1st Con I ever saw the "huckster" selling method.  Roll two dice and you get a prize based on row/column of the dice.  Mystery grab bags with special chase books.  I enjoyed it since it was so different.

11 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Gem City was also the 1st Con I ever saw the "huckster" selling method.  Roll two dice and you get a prize based on row/column of the dice.  Mystery grab bags with special chase books.  I enjoyed it since it was so different.

Oh yeah! There's also the guy(s) with a wheel of fortune type deal. I think a lot of that kind of stuff has been replaced by "mystery boxes", as there are entire booths these days that just sell mystery boxes. I'm too tight to take a chance and buy one, but I guess it must work, because it seems like there are more of them every year.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

And that's it! 

As for my market report and final observations, here's what I saw:

1. All of the keys are over-priced, but I'm not sure how well they're selling, as most of the "big" books I saw over the weekend didn't seem to move. I passed on a IH 181 missing the MVS and beat to hell for $625, went back to give it another look, and it was gone. I was interested in the only other IH 181 on the floor, but it was pretty rough (though the stamp was intact!) and sat at $1200, which I felt was a bit steep, as I pegged it around 2.5-3.0. Maybe I should have picked it up?

2. Mid-grade silver seems to just sit, and sit.

3. Every dealer and their mother has ASM 300, NM 98, and Bat Advs 12. I think the Bat Advs 12 are moving at asking price, but if the ASM's and NM's are moving, I couldn't tell. But again, I didn't see any deals on the floor that could beat eBay.

4. Where are the frickin' dollar books?

5. Gamer nerds tend to be smellier than comic nerds, but comic nerds aren't afraid to drop atomic diarrhea clouds at will. Beware!

6. Where are the frickin' magazines?

7. I actually, for a change, saw several copies of WWBN 32 for sale, but again, none were priced where I would be interested in buying.

So, that's it. If you're in the area, or it's convenient to you, I recommend the show, with the following caveats:

A. Buy the VIP pass, take advantage of the 3 hour early entry on Friday. Get your bizness done then.

B. Don't even try to get near the place on Saturday until after 2pm.

C. Early Sunday is also good. Later in the day it does fill in, though not nearly as bad as Saturday.

There are also TONS of toys at this show (hence the "toy" part of the name") includings tons of Joes, Star Wars, and just about every franchise you can imagine, vintage and contemporary. I didn't do any toy hunting because I didn't want to have to carry anything like that back to my car, but if you're a toy guy, there's a lot to like here as well.

Thinking of running back up to Gem City Comic Con in a couple of weeks, as that is a fun buying show. Otherwise, I'm probably done until Cinci Comic Expo in the fall.

Thanks for reading!

I'm sitting at work reading this and got to the comic nerds aren't afraid to drop atomic diarrhea clouds at will. :roflmao:

53 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Mark from comicctytn.  Always has everything is $5 also.  He sells huge warehouse buyouts etc.  Amazes me the number of numbnuts who buy mystery boxes at comic cons.  we are talking $150 ones.  Just buy what you want and pocket the extra cash.  

1 minute ago, Pirate said:

Mark from comicctytn.  Always has everything is $5 also.  He sells huge warehouse buyouts etc.  Amazes me the number of numbnuts who buy mystery boxes at comic cons.  we are talking $150 ones.  Just buy what you want and pocket the extra cash.  

Yeah, exactly. Spending 5 bucks on a grab bag can be fun, I liked it when I was a kid. But I just don't see laying out a lot of cash and HOPING you'll get something you like. I'm way too tight for that.

8 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

@F For Fake and @Pirate, it would be cool to meet up for a few minutes and say hello at Gem City.  I never get to meet other board members in person.

I will more than likely be hovering around Barry Kitson's table on Saturday.  

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

And that's it! 

As for my market report and final observations, here's what I saw:

1. All of the keys are over-priced, but I'm not sure how well they're selling, as most of the "big" books I saw over the weekend didn't seem to move. I passed on a IH 181 missing the MVS and beat to hell for $625, went back to give it another look, and it was gone. I was interested in the only other IH 181 on the floor, but it was pretty rough (though the stamp was intact!) and sat at $1200, which I felt was a bit steep, as I pegged it around 2.5-3.0. Maybe I should have picked it up?

2. Mid-grade silver seems to just sit, and sit.

3. Every dealer and their mother has ASM 300, NM 98, and Bat Advs 12. I think the Bat Advs 12 are moving at asking price, but if the ASM's and NM's are moving, I couldn't tell. But again, I didn't see any deals on the floor that could beat eBay.

4. Where are the frickin' dollar books?

5. Gamer nerds tend to be smellier than comic nerds, but comic nerds aren't afraid to drop atomic diarrhea clouds at will. Beware!

6. Where are the frickin' magazines?

7. I actually, for a change, saw several copies of WWBN 32 for sale, but again, none were priced where I would be interested in buying.

So, that's it. If you're in the area, or it's convenient to you, I recommend the show, with the following caveats:

A. Buy the VIP pass, take advantage of the 3 hour early entry on Friday. Get your bizness done then.

B. Don't even try to get near the place on Saturday until after 2pm.

C. Early Sunday is also good. Later in the day it does fill in, though not nearly as bad as Saturday.

There are also TONS of toys at this show (hence the "toy" part of the name") includings tons of Joes, Star Wars, and just about every franchise you can imagine, vintage and contemporary. I didn't do any toy hunting because I didn't want to have to carry anything like that back to my car, but if you're a toy guy, there's a lot to like here as well.

Thinking of running back up to Gem City Comic Con in a couple of weeks, as that is a fun buying show. Otherwise, I'm probably done until Cinci Comic Expo in the fall.

Thanks for reading!

#6.....We'll have 16-20 boxes of mags at Gem City in a couple weeks....come see Mark Scott Comics.  If the layout is the same as the last couple years we will be off to the front right with 3 booths.  

#4..... Undecided if we will bring $1 to 50 cent because multi-day shows cost so much anymore that we need to bring product that will garner more profit.....probably answers the question why you must not have seen much of them in Lexington.

We have been setting up at Gem City since day one and love how this show has grown....it also helps that the promoters are great guys too.....

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I actually gave it some thought, but I believe we've got some sort of family function that weekend. I know I HAD a reason why I was booked up that weekend, but now I can't remember what it was. I'm assuming the wife will tell me what I'm doing before that weekend hits. I just go where she tells me to go.

I've not done Indy Con before, though, is it good? Gem City is the week before, and it's not flashy, but it does have a TON of books, and no celebrities or anything like that, so I tend to favor that show, with them being so close together, calendar-wise.

And I strongly recommend the Indiana Comic Con.....there will be some sellers :hi: who do Gem City as well as Indiana but there will be many new sellers to choose from too.  Lots of great comics at this show....

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

@F For Fake and @Pirate, it would be cool to meet up for a few minutes and say hello at Gem City.  I never get to meet other board members in person.

I'll definitely let you know if I end up going! At this point it all depends on what the missus has planned the last couple of weekends this month, but if I end up going, I'll let you know for sure!

57 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

#6.....We'll have 16-20 boxes of mags at Gem City in a couple weeks....come see Mark Scott Comics.  If the layout is the same as the last couple years we will be off to the front right with 3 booths.  

#4..... Undecided if we will bring $1 to 50 cent because multi-day shows cost so much anymore that we need to bring product that will garner more profit.....probably answers the question why you must not have seen much of them in Lexington.

We have been setting up at Gem City since day one and love how this show has grown....it also helps that the promoters are great guys too.....

Cool! I'm trying to remember which booth was yours exactly, but I feel like I bought something from almost every booth, so I probably ran into you all. I'd like to make the show if I can, I think it's a really fun show with a nice selection.

That's interesting about the bargain books, I wonder if rates have been going up across the board? I've been going to LexCon for about 6 years (I think?) and the number of dollar bins has fallen drastically, just from last year to this year, so I'd imagine you're probably right on with your analysis.  

Definitely hoping to make Gem City this year, we'll see if I can pull it off!

18 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I'll definitely let you know if I end up going! At this point it all depends on what the missus has planned the last couple of weekends this month, but if I end up going, I'll let you know for sure!

Sounds good!

Also, @Bearcatcoach whenever I see you post, I think "Oh, that's Mick Cronin". But seeing as how the Cinci Bearcats are likely going to be too busy these next couple of weekends (should my bracket prove correct) to set up at comic book shows, I'm going to assume that's not you after all. Oh well.

56 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Also, @Bearcatcoach whenever I see you post, I think "Oh, that's Mick Cronin". But seeing as how the Cinci Bearcats are likely going to be too busy these next couple of weekends (should my bracket prove correct) to set up at comic book shows, I'm going to assume that's not you after all. Oh well.

Nope not me.....I almost attended the University of Cincinatti in 1980 but at the last second went to Ball State in Muncie IN.... And I ended up teaching and coaching at Muncie Central for over 30 years....the mascot for Muncie Central is the Bearcats and I was the head wrestling coach so that is the origin story of my CGC name.....

21 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Cool! I'm trying to remember which booth was yours exactly, but I feel like I bought something from almost every booth, so I probably ran into you all. I'd like to make the show if I can, I think it's a really fun show with a nice selection.

That's interesting about the bargain books, I wonder if rates have been going up across the board? I've been going to LexCon for about 6 years (I think?) and the number of dollar bins has fallen drastically, just from last year to this year, so I'd imagine you're probably right on with your analysis.  

Definitely hoping to make Gem City this year, we'll see if I can pull it off!

Maps are up on the Gem City website....we are F1 if you want to come over and check out our stuff!

1 hour ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Maps are up on the Gem City website....we are F1 if you want to come over and check out our stuff!

Sounds good. I'm going to try to make it up there, but we'll see what things look like the week of.