• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Rosebud Thread

22 posts in this topic

I'm sitting here going through a collection I just picked up and there is the signature by some kid on many of them who is probably the original owner of the book - in this case one "Robert Milder", who I think lived in Canada as that is where this collection is from. I always imagine them thinking "I wonder whatever happened to the comic collection my mother threw away or gave away."

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to have a thread dedicated to finding these people so we can say " Hey, I found one of your comics." - but more importantly, so we can say "soooo...do you have any more? :cry:

I thought a thread dedicated to this endeavor might be kind of cool (or, it might fail miserably and get buried :roflmao:)

2018-03-12-0008.jpg

rosebud.png

rosebud orsen.jpg

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

2 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
37 minutes ago, ivegotneatstuff said:

Robert Milder

Robert Wilder

Looks like a Milder to me...., 

I've got about 15-20 issues of Our Army at War from the Kunkel Pedigree -  a bunch of beat up comics with the name "Kunkel" written on the cover of each of them. :bigsmile:

I like having the name of the OO on the book, unless it's done Stan Lee style over a character's face or something. And it's cooler when you have a whole bunch of issues form the same kid's collection. 

My Action #252 has the original owner's name on it - Denis Kitchen. I've thought about contacting him to let him know I currently own it, but... I dunno. Seems weird. 

43 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

As far as I can tell, yeah. I've heard from a few other people that have books of his that the sig on it looks similar to theirs. And it looks like from when he was a kid based on the handwriting. 

Photobucket ate my pictures of it otherwise I'd post a scan. 

I was recently given a large container full of comics that appear to be an original owner collection as he signed his full name on the splash page of each one

IMG_20180314_150916705.jpg

Unfortunately, the OO has passed away. 

-bc

Edited by bc

19 minutes ago, bc said:

I was recently given a large container full of comics that appear to be an original owner collection as he signed his full name on the splash page of each one

IMG_20180314_150916705.jpg

Unfortunately, the OO has passed away. 

-bc

Nice white pages! :applause: 

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Nice white pages! :applause: 

Thanks but the page quality is the best part of the books as they were literally tossed into a large Rubbermaid container (that my cat Tank was diligently guarding)

IMG_20180312_174559498.jpg

I  avoid books with names on the covers.  The only time I had a book with another person’s name was when a book had a subscription label on the back cover.  It was a golden age book. 

Turns out the person is dead.

The end. 

I bought a Lost In Space lunchbox that had the original owners name and address in it. It was only a few minutes from my house and a look in the phonebook showed someone with the same last name living there.  I called them and got a machine. I explained I'd found the lunchbox and was wondering if they might have other 1960s stuff that they might want to sell.  A couple days later I got a call from a rather deaf old women who had no idea what I was asking her.  I never followed up.

PURkfDpl.jpg

I've had this one since the late 1970s.

The name appears to be Stephen Shields.

The writing on the book annoyed me at one point and I picked up another copy but then decided to hang on to both as the signature grew on me.

I also have a handful of silver age Daredevils with the name Dan B written on the back cover from the same time period.

Also-- did any one here engage in the practice of writing your name on your books? I can't say I ever did this.

Edited by 01TheDude

So heres a story for you all...

I grew up in Old Town, Maine...and lived there from about 1966 to 1985... then moved to New York..

A few years ago I purchased a collection on Long Island in New York which had this written on the cover.

"Kathy Ann Thibodeau, 13 Davis Street, Old Town, ME"

Not only was she from my home town - but she lived literally 7 houses away from me! I tried to find her on FB at the time but was not successful.

I would love to know the chain of ownership of that book and how it ended up in NY

img415.jpg

comic.jpg

comic2.jpg

Edited by ivegotneatstuff