• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

80's Indy Comic Art Thread
1 1

62 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Area 88

I think Bronty and I talked about this one before. Most likely the art here was just re-ballooned-to-Englis manga originals, which means they were and remain in Japan. No?

I like a lot of what has been mentioned already, but I wanna give Tim Truman, Craig Russell and some others a bit of love here. Grimjack was my gateway drug to his art, though he wasn't the writer, but I liked Scout just as much or more and have avidly collected his Grateful Dead art which was primarily from the 90's and later.  I would also mention that I think this was the period during which Pacific comics put out their Elric comics by P. Craig Russell and Michael Gilbert (and then Gilbert and Freeman) and then followed them with several other Moorcock stories, most notably (for me at least) when Mike Mignola did his run on Corum. I have a Grimjack Cover, two  Elric covers (a PCR/Gilbert and a solo Gilbert cover) and a nice Corum page with Kelley Jones inking over Mignola-a combination that may have only occurred on that book, but which I liked quite a bit.

38 minutes ago, vodou said:

I think Bronty and I talked about this one before. Most likely the art here was just re-ballooned-to-Englis manga originals, which means they were and remain in Japan. No?

Re-ballooned to originals or copies, but, either way, the originals are still in Japan most likely. 

Can't say that I would have high interest in buying any originals; just really enjoyed the series, especially the interesting premise. 

16 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Can't say that I would have high interest in buying any originals; just really enjoyed the series, especially the interesting premise. 

Hmmm, me too, or at least not what the market would demand me to compete against if they came out in any public or even semi-public manner. (Ideally these would be the Tokyo equivalent of a second-hand store find! Of course -high unlikely.) As long as Ben Dunn can still draw, that open generic manga style is easy enough to get a hit of at any time without having to wait or pony up for a specific hot property.

Wow!   You a bad mamma jamma! :banana:

I don't have much to share that I haven't posted before.   I have some Groo, some Faust, some Adventurers, a Flaming Carrot

Edited by Bronty

40 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Oh man...some of my absolute favorite stuff. Not sure how much of a comics fan I would have become if it weren't for '80s indies.

image.png.7fc2f03376e2ca548895a3e841b6b060.png

Gah! Had to pull my wife off the dark web before she sold an organ and explain to her this is likely NFS. lol  Early Capital B&W, no less!

This one is hers... Not Rude, but a staple of the 80s indie scene, Adam Hughes-

5aa95d0271377_AdamHughesNexus57page12.thumb.JPG.e88ec92a6fe24bb6832a646baf555214.JPG

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, delekkerste said:

My faves: Judge Dredd, Jon Sable, ARBBHamsters, The Adventurers, DNAgents, Airboy, Groo, Xenozoic Tales, Area 88, LW&C

I love, love, love Judge Dredd from this era, too. Mostly because Eagle comics were reprinting the best stories from 2000 A.D. by legendary artists like Carlos Ezquerra, Mick McMahan, and of course Brian Bolland. But, I don't technically lump those in with the 80's indy boom, as they were reprints, as much as I loved those books.

I'm right there with you on DNAgents, and Groo, though. And while I liked Jon Sable, I am not sure that is Grell's best artistic era. And, others who pointed out Nexus and Badger -- ABSOLUTELY!

Edited by PhilipB2k17

19 hours ago, Nexus said:

Oh man...some of my absolute favorite stuff. Not sure how much of a comics fan I would have become if it weren't for '80s indies.

image.png.7fc2f03376e2ca548895a3e841b6b060.pngimage.png.64e61df3a28e57166bd6fee8c1f002ae.pngimage.png.89e392a45273da4771d3497ee00febb0.pngimage.png.fcaac5212b6d42ff849b5f7634b3ffba.pngimage.png.72e5e01bb1c27d3d30f225b3d21a84b1.pngimage.png.c21ec4255de3fceaefe3082780b43b2f.pngimage.png.ed77ebbc248d3523d50303788d5617a3.png

Great stuff, Felix. You and I are on the same collecting wavelength here.

21 hours ago, furthur said:

I like a lot of what has been mentioned already, but I wanna give Tim Truman, Craig Russell and some others a bit of love here. Grimjack was my gateway drug to his art, though he wasn't the writer, but I liked Scout just as much or more and have avidly collected his Grateful Dead art which was primarily from the 90's and later.  I would also mention that I think this was the period during which Pacific comics put out their Elric comics by P. Craig Russell and Michael Gilbert (and then Gilbert and Freeman) and then followed them with several other Moorcock stories, most notably (for me at least) when Mike Mignola did his run on Corum. I have a Grimjack Cover, two  Elric covers (a PCR/Gilbert and a solo Gilbert cover) and a nice Corum page with Kelley Jones inking over Mignola-a combination that may have only occurred on that book, but which I liked quite a bit.

Yes. Grimjack! Someone was selling a couple of complete early First Grimjack issues on eBay last year that I made offers, on (but was rejected).

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I may have to retract my comment about Grell's Jon Sable work. The OA from those books is awesome. Great to see this.

I re-read the entire series within the past couple of years.  The art in the earlier issues is really fantastic and underrated/overlooked.  But, at some point (I don't remember where the demarcation is; think somewhere during year 2 or 3 at the latest), it's obvious that Grell is struggling to keep up the quality of the art, especially since those First Comics issues were 28 or 32 pages long IIRC (more than the usual 22 offered by Marvel and DC) and he was writing as well as drawing.  As such, you see the art become very noticeably looser, and you see him draw things that are clearly designed to take up a lot of space and speed up his output.  

Edited by delekkerste

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

I re-read the entire series within the past couple of years.  The art in the earlier issues is really fantastic and underrated/overlooked.  But, at some point (I don't remember where the demarcation is; think somewhere during year 2 or 3 at the latest), it's obvious that Grell is struggling to keep up the quality of the art, especially since those First Comics issues were 28 or 32 pages long IIRC (more than the usual 22 offered by Marvel and DC) and he was writing as well as drawing.  As such, you see the art become very noticeably looser, and you see him draw things that are clearly designed to take up a lot of space and speed up his output.  

I just compare it to his near contemporary Starslayer pages (of which I have seen a few), and it's clear he was doing a different style for Sable. I agree that it started to fall off later on.

23 hours ago, furthur said:

Gilbert's Mr. Monster was also terrific.