• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 227 or TOD 10?

16 posts in this topic

Although I love my copy of 227, if grades were equal, I'd probably go for TOD 10 since that's the intro of a new character.  I say probably because I view myself more of a Batman collector and not a investor.  TOD 10 might be a bigger key, but I personally wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it whereas without Bats 227, my Adams Bats collection would be noticeably incomplete. 

Tomb of Dracula 10. 

One of my all-time favourite characters, his first appearance, versus a comic with a nice homage cover, mediocre interior art and an insignificant story.

Easy decision.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'm not partial to TOD 10 'cause Marvel horror is something that's never connected with me, but, as a Batman collector, Bats 227 to me is a really weak key (for the reasons Ken pointed out). I lucked into a free copy, otherwise I probably wouldn't own one because of the price. Having said that, I spoke with GATor last year and he said Bats 227 and 251 are two books he can't buy enough of, and I'd listen to him before me. 

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Bats 227 and 251

I'm a big Neal Adams fan, but, for me, the two books couldn't be more different in terms of appeal.

I can live without the Adams cover on 227, but, to me, 251 is an absolutely superb, key Adams book with classic artwork and a significant story; the psychopathic characterisation of The Joker.

Tomb Of Dracula 10 vs Batman 251 would've been a much tougher decision. Actually, I'd probably have given up.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'm a big Neal Adams fan, but, for me, the two books couldn't be more different in terms of appeal.

I can live without the Adams cover on 227, but, to me, 251 is an absolutely superb, key Adams book with classic artwork and a significant story; the psychopathic characterisation of The Joker.

Tomb Of Dracula 10 vs Batman 251 would've been a much tougher decision. Actually, I'd probably have given up.

Agreed, I wouldn't put 227 and 251 in the same category myself and your estimation of both bat-books is spot-on. To me, though, 251 vs. TOD 10 is no contest (251 all the way, but I essentially rate this book as a "major" key up there with Bats 232), but, again, I'm too disconnected from Blade's importance to really provide a balanced opinion. Is this character THAT big of a deal? I've never seen the movies, but I didn't even realize Blade was a comic character until maybe the last 10 or so years (shrug) I guess I need to dig my copy out and see what kind of shape it's in, I may have severely underestimated its demand.

22 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I'm too disconnected from Blade's importance to really provide a balanced opinion. Is this character THAT big of a deal? I've never seen the movies, but I didn't even realize Blade was a comic character until maybe the last 10 or so years (shrug) I guess I need to dig my copy out and see what kind of shape it's in, I may have severely underestimated its demand.

Blade’s always been one of my favourite characters since the 70s, despite being featured in only a small number of books back then.  Tomb of Dracula is one of my favourite BA titles, and there was something quite sad about his background / origin story.  Also, the comics version is British.

Guillermo del Toro’s Blade 2 is one of my all-time favourite super-hero films, placing it in my top 10 in the rankings thread in Comics General.  Backtracking, the first Blade film was really impressive for its time, and an indicator that we were clearly developing the tech / CGI processes to realise comic books convincingly on-screen.

Really hard to separate my Tomb Of Dracula 10 9.6  from my Batman 251 9.4.  Two of my most treasured slabs, and I’d be very, very reluctant to let go of either.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Both books are over-hyped and over-priced

If there is a book one really likes then price is not that big a factor, after all it for ones own enjoyment not ROI. The choice here is an individual decision

However, if the goal is ROI, then tread very lightly, as these books are plentiful and there is little room for a significant return.

in either case patience would be your friend . Wait for the correction and get both, no choice needed.

13 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

However, if the goal is ROI, then tread very lightly, as these books are plentiful and there is little room for a significant return.

Hmmm. I waited. That's why I don't have a Hulk 181. Real plentiful book as well. You just never know.   :whistle:

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

Hmmm. I waited. That's why I don't have a Hulk 181. Real plentiful book as well. You just never know.   :whistle:

Did you wait on bitcoin or did you buy that boon doggle high?

Things go in both directions.