• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voldy slabs letters?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

Saw a Steve Ditko letter slabbed by the guys across the street on eBay.(a steal at 2 grand :roflmao:) It was labeled as “art.”

is that a thing over there? 

I'm not a betting man, but I would be willing to bet if Ditko saw that he would get nauseous 2c

2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I swear this thread was longer about an hour ago. 

Someone likely said something non-disparaging about cbcs. 

4 hours ago, comicquant said:

+100000000...  On top of that at this point Voldy would slab a Steve Ditko booger to keep their heads above water...

That's an odd thing to say. Certification companies are in business to certify items their customers send in. They're not there to decide what customers should or should not send in.  (shrug)

21 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

That's an odd thing to say. Certification companies are in business to certify items their customers send in. They're not there to decide what customers should or should not send in.  (shrug)

So why doesn't CGC certify IGB books ? ComicConnect has auctioned off paychecks (the one that paid for Superman or something) and other sorts of memorabilia from past creators. Can't recall any of those items certified by CGC. I'm sure if they would, CC would have had them certified in order to maximize on sales.

And finally, if I send in my Jon Berk ComicConnect catalog, CGC will certify it then ? That would be sweet but I don't see it happening. Not with CGC anyhow.

Edited by Gotham Kid

9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

So why doesn't CGC certify IGB books ? ComicConnect has auctioned off paychecks (the one that paid for Superman or something) and other sorts of memorabilia from past creators. Can't recall any of those items certified by CGC. I'm sure if they would, CC would have had them certified in order to maximize on sales.

And finally, if I send in my Jon Berk ComicConnect catalog, CGC will certify it then ? That would be sweet but I don't see it happening. Not with CGC anyhow.

You know what I meant.

If a company sets a criteria for what they certify then blaming them for certifying something is illogical.

comicquant's comment seemed to be overly derogatory and unfair, especially in light of the fact that CGC would slab Stan Lee's 'booger'. lol

19 hours ago, NoMan said:

Saw a Steve Ditko letter slabbed by the guys across the street on eBay.(a steal at 2 grand :roflmao:) It was labeled as “art.”

is that a thing over there? 

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

The "Steve Ditko Letter" that is being referenced is tagged with their "Verified Signature Program" red label .  I think we're going beyond looks here.

(shrug)

12 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

CGC graded an IGB Detective 33. THe resto was rated as A quality.

https://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com/outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132501580681

25 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Yes, only because IGB I guess realized that

a. CGC sales of their books just might bring better prices. Their cbcs graded books seem to fetch lower and lower prices whenever they show up.

b. in order for CGC to grade their stuff, they would have to stop super restoring their books and would have to bring their resto down to "normal" levels.

A boatload of their books were turned down and they ran across the street to have them graded. That Tec is actually one of the very few so far that CGC has accepted to grade.

The A designation doesn't surprise me in the least. They are VERY good. They just go overboard.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

It says "ART" in the grade box. 

The grade of the book is generally unimportant when the book is a blank cover filled with hand-drawn art.  You just want to know that the art is authentic.  The grade doesn't matter, so there's still a grade box on the label, but it's art.

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

The grade of the book is generally unimportant when the book is a blank cover filled with hand-drawn art.  You just want to know that the art is authentic.  The grade doesn't matter, so there's still a grade box on the label, but it's art.

I'm surprised to here that.  I have three blank covers that Trimpe sketched the Hulk 181 scene on. 

Are you saying the 9.4 and the 9.8 will sell for the same amount, or even in the same ballpark?