• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS and Census

7 posts in this topic

I have seen some people post they have the only specific signature block at a specific grade on the census (So example Batman 404 in 9.8 signed by Miller, Maz and Affleck)... how does one tell how many of a specific book has a specific signature on it?  I see the census which just breaks out the SS books from universal, restored, etc.  but I don’t know how to see how many of a specific signature.  Or am I just misunderstanding that this info is available?

13 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

I have seen some people post they have the only specific signature block at a specific grade on the census (So example Batman 404 in 9.8 signed by Miller, Maz and Affleck)... how does one tell how many of a specific book has a specific signature on it?  I see the census which just breaks out the SS books from universal, restored, etc.  but I don’t know how to see how many of a specific signature.  Or am I just misunderstanding that this info is available?

It's not available on the Census. Anyone that makes that claim is basing it upon their knowledge of the market.  May be right, may be wrong.

There is sort of a common well of knowledge that has been passed down over time.  Richie can say exactly how many Stephen King books got done. In my mind it was around 12, so I have posted that several times. There were around 100 John Byrnes done back in 2004. Somewhere on here is the exact number.  There was a very small number of David Mazzuchellis done in the mid-2000s. I always think of it as around 20, but I imagine somewhere on here is the exact number.

So for the real toughies, there is a sort of "oral tradition" that is passed down. But for guys like Stan Lee, J. Scott Campbell or even George Perez, there is no way of knowing with any sort of certainty what the numbers are.