• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #300

38 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

When the seller says the book is "unread" it poses the question, how do they know? Unless you pulled the book directly off the press and bagged it how would you know if it is unread? If you bought it at your LCS maybe someone was reading it then put it back on the shelf. Just sounds like the stupidest comment to make about a comic. Sorry for the rant.

Unread is a nebulous term. A book can be mangled in handling or storage, even a warehouse stack of them never sent out for distribution. Damage can be incurred by a number of means other than reading. I've seen raw ebay books that looked no better than VG being touted as "unread". 

2 minutes ago, Insanity said:

Should I leave neutral comment or a negative one due to seller overcharging me

Neither unless the description was misleading. Did they said it was NM? I'd give it 9.0 9.2.... though so it is up to you, but ask for a bit of a refund before you leave hurtful feedback. I think that you got it for $285? they could refund you a bit.... but I agree that this book is graded hard, I have one with sharp corners but it had one pretty decent spine tick and it got 8.0...

3 minutes ago, Insanity said:

Should I leave neutral comment or a negative one due to seller overcharging me

A neutral, negative, or false positive (positive with a negative comment) should never be left for being overcharged. That's on you, not the seller, I have to say. Any seller can put a modest price on an item, or a ridiculous one. It's up to you to determine if you wish to pay it. Now, if he stated that the book is a certain grade, based the price on that, and you paid it, then it is on him, for overgrading. Which is different than charging a usurious price for a well represented item. If he misrepresented it, it's on him.

On 3/14/2018 at 7:55 AM, Insanity said:

hmmm 

Hi there. The Amazing Spider-Man 300 comic book that you purchased from us, that was mailed to you by us and that you received yesterday from us, has never been restored. This comic book is unread, been bagged & boarded since I purchased it and was from my personal collection. Thank you again for your purchase and please remember that we strive for 100% positive feedback.

Why did you ask if it was restored? no one was saying that.....even unread and bagged and boarded, spine ticks can occur... I still give it a 9.0/9.2 the rest is up to you :foryou:

2 hours ago, Insanity said:

8Going by 9.4 im asking 285 for it do I go lower and someone pm'd me asking 200ndo I take it?

Whats the 2018 pricing for 9.8 9.6 9.4 etc

wait are you the buyer or the seller lol I'm confused, I am going to politely bow out.... :fear:

Just now, Insanity said:

Good to know thank you everyone for your help with this

Your learning process of the hobby, that is, your feeling out process of getting your bearing; a good handle on the dynamics of the hobby, will go a lot easier for you at this beginning stage of the game, if for now, you concentrate your purchases (purchases of moderate to great expense) to solely CGC graded comics.

3 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Tell him the book had a page missing inside and he would have known that if he inspected it for manufacturer defects. Of course paging thru it to check it out is the same as reading it right?

kckwh.jpgbut it did make me laugh :foryou:, but also it could result in him being blocked on ebay etc, who knows it could be a board member... doubt it but stay ethical, good vibes and all that ;) 

10 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I was just kidding don't really want the buyer to start trouble. Unread comic just leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time I see it in a description.

I feel you! And I don't want the bad taste in the buyer's thoughts either, but with any other book it might, imo, grade higher. BUT with this half-black-cover, they seem to grade it hard imo.... maybe the seller didn't take that into account (shrug)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

12 minutes ago, Insanity said:

Just said NM n it looked good

If you use a bit of finesse and tell the seller that with the black back cover that spine ticks are more apparent? maybe they'd be nice and offer $20 refund..? idk there is a learning curve...

With books labeled "NM" they could feel justified in a 9.0 as that is VF/NM..... I'd be factual but it beats the return or negative feedback... if you plan to hold this book long-term then I personally wouldn't mind that there was a little overpayment....

Here is a story:

I knew that 8.0's graded and newsstand, when I got mine, went for around $200 and this is 3 year ago prices, you didn't over pay by much. I waited for a nice looking raw in my beginner days and saw one that looked nice with one tick and sharp corners. Well I was new and when I got it in hand the "tick" seemed to break through the paper. I bought it for $175 got an 8.0 and total I paid $210. BUT now that price doesn't look that bad, imo. 

Do what you can for your peace of mind, but I don't think you were hurt too bad at current prices. If the market accepts 1st Venom then perhaps it has sustainable value :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Most sellers are reasonable.  I look any book over very hard when I receive them and compare with the notes and pictures.  If in worse condition than led on you are very protected through ebay and paypal, just ask for a partial refund or return it.  Don't leave negative feedback unless they won't work with you, this is how a lot of these guys earn a living.

That book would benefit from a pressing.  Some research and a $150 t-shirt press will make a big difference, yes a t-shirt press works very well.  I press my own books (probably 300-400 by now) and these older books press out very well, new books are harder and you need to be careful with the staple pressing through to the cover.  But it is not hard at all, just a bit of a learning curve.  Practice on the .50 bin for awhile, you will save a ton of money.  Books need to be humidified first too, that is what makes all the difference.  Make a humidity chamber, costs all of $20.  I have turned 8.0 books into 9.6 - 9.8s, sometimes takes 4 or 5 presses that most won't do for you though.