• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What *would* you have bought?

39 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2018 at 12:37 PM, Pete Marino said:

I had this in my hands at NYCC a few years ago, passed.  It was amazing, scary and legendary.  But I couldn't reconcile spending a lot on something that would give my children nightmares.  Still wish I had it though.

Image result for quitley alan moore

Not the best Quitely piece...but if I could only have one, it'd be this one. The OA doesn't look like this, though. It's all-pencil.

18 hours ago, Flambit said:

If only the original cover to JL #1 would surface...  I wonder what that would go for?  I've heard that Andy Helfer owns it.

Haven't seen it in person, but I heard the owner wasn't Andy Helfer. For whatever that's worth. Would love to see the cover pop up.

44 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Not the best Quitely piece...but if I could only have one, it'd be this one. The OA doesn't look like this, though. It's all-pencil.

Yup, I still like the stuff I did buy that year better, but this might be his most iconic work.

Plus it wound up in the right collection, so I can feel good about that.

4 hours ago, Nexus said:

Haven't seen it in person, but I heard the owner wasn't Andy Helfer. For whatever that's worth. Would love to see the cover pop up.

I think I sold either theMaguire cover to #1 or the Variant cover for #1, back in the day.

MI

17 hours ago, artdealer said:

! My memory is shot. Yes it was the variant to #3

I owned that for a bit. Great cover. IMO, second only to #1 for nostalgia value. I ended up trading it (plus some cash) for a Mazz BORN AGAIN page and a Miller WOLVERINE page. Really did the deal to get the Mazz page, so spun the Wolvie page off in another deal. I thought it was a fair deal at the time and in hindsight, over 10 years later, still feels like the exact same equitable deal.

8 hours ago, Nexus said:

I owned that for a bit. Great cover. IMO, second only to #1 for nostalgia value. I ended up trading it (plus some cash) for a Mazz BORN AGAIN page and a Miller WOLVERINE page. Really did the deal to get the Mazz page, so spun the Wolvie page off in another deal. I thought it was a fair deal at the time and in hindsight, over 10 years later, still feels like the exact same equitable deal.

I would love to have had a shot at that cover.  That variant issue was the hot book of it's day.  I still remember the elation of finding a half dozen copies at my local hole in the wall liquor store.  

One thing that I regret not buying was an Ultimate Spider Man page Spencer was selling years ago.  Forget the actual issue/page #.  It was from the Venom story.  Basically a homage of when Spidey confronts Uncle Ben’s killer from AF15, except Spidey’s in the black suit.   Not a “big” page or anything, but it would’ve been nice to pick up for $150.

Also, when I bought a DV page from Mitch years ago, he actually had a few pages available.  Should’ve bought them all.  

A little outside the last few years but...

detail.jpg

Mark Morales had it at the time of publishing at $1200. I was waaaaaaay into McNiven when he came to Marvel and saw Mark Morales frequently. I passed and regretted it later that day. By the time the next show came along Mark had decided to move it to the vault and there it remains. I laugh about it with him but he is always fairly adamant now that the piece is off the table.

By the way, Mark is a GREAT inker that doesn't seem to get much publicity, but I like him over McNiven more than Vines. And Morales over Cheung is always pretty excellent as well. (I know Mark looks great on Clayton Henry's stuff as well but I don't follow Henry enough to know how other inkers look on him.)

Edited by Bird
adding that I have sold all my McNiven but one but this cover is still a target if available

52 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Easy. A Neal Adams cover of the Phantom Stranger for $200. It was in the early 1980's, and the dealer had 2. I bought 1, but thought having 2 was a waste of money. 

Rick - OP specifically was asking for mistakes made in the last year or two, intentionally to avoid the whole "back in the day..." reminiscences. Any of us that were around then have a ton of those stories!

Jon Sable #14 cover at Heritage last May. I was the absentee underbidder; it sold for $5,268, which is more than the cover and complete story for #24 had sold for 3 months prior. 

Had I been present for the live bidding, I would have either won it higher or at least inflicted substantial punishment bidding on it. 

A couple of pages from the X-Men/Teen Titans one shot came up on CAF about a year ago for 5k each. Both Simonson & Austin are notorious for holding their art, so I don't even know how the pages became available.

Man, I wish I had bought this when I had a chance...

wouldacoulda.jpg

23 hours ago, vodou said:

Rick - OP specifically was asking for mistakes made in the last year or two, intentionally to avoid the whole "back in the day..." reminiscences. Any of us that were around then have a ton of those stories!

I've made choices about where I have spent my money, but it's not in my nature to second-guess a thought out decision. Although, it would have been nice to have more money on several occasions.

Here's one. 

Art Thibert's Wizard 14 cover. I thought it was just a couple years back, but checking, it was 2013 that it sold on HA for ~$1700. Too rich for my blood at the time.

I read Wizard 14 cover to cover 100 times. I had no clue who was on the cover, but I pored over all the characters in it, as I was just starting to read comics. It had a back cover ad for the first Marvel Masterpieces cards that I  marveled (no pun intended) at. I still have it. 

When it came back up in the last Comiclink auction I thought it'd have a slight bump, and bid on it. But a $4K hammer was just too much. Pragmatism beat nostalgia.

The one that got away twice. 

IMG_0101.JPG

On 3/17/2018 at 9:56 AM, vodou said:

I gave this some more thought and changed my mind. I really like Arthur Ranson (British artist). Two pages from Batman & Phantom Stranger were available, and I bought the better one, I think, for about $600. I wish I also bought the other one, too, with Batman and PS talking on a fire escape in a way which disoriented the reader. Great work.

On 3/19/2018 at 11:51 PM, skrilla1212 said:

Here's one. 

Art Thibert's Wizard 14 cover. I thought it was just a couple years back, but checking, it was 2013 that it sold on HA for ~$1700. Too rich for my blood at the time.

I read Wizard 14 cover to cover 100 times. I had no clue who was on the cover, but I pored over all the characters in it, as I was just starting to read comics. It had a back cover ad for the first Marvel Masterpieces cards that I  marveled (no pun intended) at. I still have it. 

When it came back up in the last Comiclink auction I thought it'd have a slight bump, and bid on it. But a $4K hammer was just too much. Pragmatism beat nostalgia.

The one that got away twice. 

Good pick.  I was also a huge fan of this one, watching it on Heritage during the Shamus Wizard auctions. 

I know it is 'only' by Art (and not a Jim Lee) but 1,700 for the X-women was a fair price.  :pullhair: