• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

King Comics UK Price Variants
4 4

195 posts in this topic

On 18/03/2018 at 2:33 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I've got a couple due in the post, so maybe we'll learn more then.

No post today, my love has gone away
The company was gay, we turn'd night into day

:p

Here, do you know what they call Postman Pat when he retires? Snigger

What? I've done that one all ready? 

Bugger.

Anyway, no post today, so no Archie pence updates. I have made a start on Gold Key though, and it's looking like a 'task of the woolly mammoth' as Poirot would say. So I may be gone some time on that subject. It will be interesting to see whether they end up competing with DC / Charlton on the numbers

gk.thumb.PNG.4f19c22db6a5458dda8feaa56cd4dac4.PNG

Wish me luck....:wishluck:

I've got a couple due in the post, so maybe we'll learn more then.

Pat's just been. 

About to open the parcel now. Drum roll please...

• Archie's Pal Jughead
  • Archie's Pals n Gals
  • Archie Fly's over Niagara Falls whilst Fixing a Loose Fascia Board with a Mastic Bonding Gun
  • Jughead's Fantasy
  • Katy Keene

:eek:

Look sharp pence people! :)

The 'others' are shaping up nicely, and detailed results are coming soon. Here's a few pictures of the files to whet your appetites 

Archie Comics

66.thumb.PNG.bd53f66be04d3bc398c83fe58500f577.PNG

Dell Comics

66a.thumb.PNG.4b343224b69bc961943801b00f8124d5.PNG

Gold Key Comics

66b.thumb.PNG.6befbab2f049ad0e00f302b1bba4fa1c.PNG

King Comics

66c.thumb.PNG.d2a30896406e039cc6156780d15f3405.PNG

Some very interesting correlations among them date-wise. I'm not sure each publisher will warrant it's own thread, so I'll likely do the updates here.

Keep em peeled!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

On 3/20/2018 at 2:14 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Hmmm, in places maybe. But I don't think the girl looks very Ditkoesque?

The artist is Alex Raymond according to the inside of the book (assuming he did the cover and interiors):

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.0678bf4e586d30776ac8fde48e615805.jpg

I could get behind Raymond as the cover artist, but the interior doesn't look like his FG to me, though the artwork looks quite good. (And the GCD agrees with me.)

8 minutes ago, AJD said:

I could get behind Raymond as the cover artist, but the interior doesn't look like his FG to me, though the artwork looks quite good. (And the GCD agrees with me.)

Flash! Ah-ahh!

On 5/17/2018 at 12:57 PM, pemart1966 said:

Does anyone have any pence Turoks that they can post?  I'm referring specifically to the original 130 issue run and not the black and white ones.  Thanks!

I don't think that there were any pence variants of Turok. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

4 hours ago, Redshade said:

I don't think that there were any pence variants of Turok. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Time to "GET HAPPY" Redshade!  lol

I guess that they should be properly called "dual priced" books.  Turok 20 - 25 all come priced in cents and pence and the pence price is actually printed directly on the cover as opposed to just being stamped on.

I have 20-22 (printed UK price is 9D) and 24 (printed UK price is 1 shilling).  I've seen both 23 and 25 dual printed but don't have them or any photos of them :cry: and there is a 23 out there with just the UK price printed on it.

C'mon - some of you UK guys MUST have some dual priced Turoks!   :wishluck:

Edited by pemart1966

15 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Time to "GET HAPPY" Redshade!  lol

I guess that they should be properly called "dual priced" books.  Turok 20 - 25 all come priced in cents and pence and the pence price is actually printed directly on the cover as opposed to just being stamped on.

I have 20-22 (printed UK price is 9D) and 24 (printed UK price is 1 shilling).  I've seen both 23 and 25 dual printed but don't have them or any photos of them :cry: and there is a 23 out there with just the UK price printed on it.

C'mon - some of you UK guys MUST have some dual priced Turoks!   :wishluck:

Hi pemart1966.

I don't mind being proven wrong at all. :bigsmile: We're all here to try and help each other.

So are we talking about US dual priced comics or US pence variants?

Which series is it that you are looking for, ie dates and publisher?

Regards.

1 hour ago, Redshade said:

Hi pemart1966.

I don't mind being proven wrong at all. :bigsmile: We're all here to try and help each other.

So are we talking about US dual priced comics or US pence variants?

Which series is it that you are looking for, ie dates and publisher?

Regards.

These are North American priced AND UK priced books - both prices are PRINTED on the cover.

These are from the original run.  So by the issue numbers - very early 1960s.

Edited by pemart1966

18 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

These are North American priced AND UK priced books - both prices are PRINTED on the cover.

These are from the original run.  So by the issue numbers - very early 1960s.

Hi pemart1966.

Are you talking about the Dell series from 1962?

The dual and triple pricings didn't come out until much later.

Hi pemart1966.

Yes - these are from the first run - dual priced early 1960s...

Hi pemart1966.

No they came out very early.  Take a look at this.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUROK-SON-OF-STONE-21-VF-8-0-DELL-COMICS-SEPTEMBER-1960/141795438815?hash=item2103aab0df:g:k8oAAOSw14xWFZpP

9 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I stand corrected. I have never seen those before. They are the Dell series 1-29 1958 to 1962. At  £55 for one comic it's going to be an expensive quest.

36 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I just did a quick search on ebay UK. It didn't take long there are only 39 entries under "Turok" and only 1 other in the 1-29 range than the one you showed above. I found this :

image.thumb.jpeg.0d8fcb87bc59b387b6e532c88128b952.jpeg

And also this, which is a UK reprint from 1959?  with the cover from #13

mimage.thumb.jpeg.e1042716d46c5e0e3007625b03457cc7.jpeg

Edited by Redshade

I just did a quick search on ebay UK. It didn't take long there are only 39 entries under "Turok" and only 1 other in the 1-29 range than the one you showed above. I found this :

image.thumb.jpeg.0d8fcb87bc59b387b6e532c88128b952.jpeg

And also this, which is a UK reprint from 1959?  with the cover from #13

mimage.thumb.jpeg.e1042716d46c5e0e3007625b03457cc7.jpeg

The 1 shilling Dell (Turok 24) I have.  I need the UK guys to step up and post 23 and 25 neither of which I have.  

The "Giant" reprint is just that - a reprint - in black and white if I remember correctly.  It's not part of the original series...

Edited by pemart1966

@Redshade

@pemart1966

Hi Guys, I guess you both missed my summary a few posts back which showed a folder for Turok in my Dell research picture! :)

As I mentioned earlier, I have been doing a little research on the Dell first printing pence variants. There's a lot of them, and I plan to do a separate thread on them at some point as I have with Marvel, DC and Charlton.

If you look at this snapshot of my Dell spreadsheet you can see that I have found no pence Dells dated prior to April 1960, and none dated later than August 1961. I have plotted 37 titles (Four Color being one title) and not one of the 160 issues I have found so far exists outside of these dates:

turok.PNG.81ed00ef557913824eae3ef899b058dc.PNG

For Turok, issues 20 to 24 may exist if the date parameters I have set are correct. I have found three of them so far - 20, 21 and 24:

832269453_TurokSonofStone20.thumb.jpg.91f7f44f9e87f2f17e1686d342001283.jpg  1957441906_TurokSonofStone21.thumb.jpg.3cc92556b0e6f46001b1d737ebdd9a3b.jpg 843754575_TurokSonofStone24.thumb.jpg.12fc8dc89b28f30852ca2b119f2c5a64.jpg

The pence prices (9d and, later, one shilling) can be difficult to spot at times on the painted covers. You can enlarge the three pictures by clicking on them.

One of the difficulties in tracking Dells is that issues have multiple months. To get around this, I log all the issues I find against whichever is the first month shown of the cover / indicia. So Turok number 25 is dated September to November, and I therefore log it against September. Because I have yet to find any title with a date beyond August 1961 my research tells me that 25 may not exist. So I would love to see it if it does.

One thing I have found in my overall pence research is that gaps can be consistent. A two issue gap for one title often mirrors that of another title(s). Turok's gaps mirror other titles. So it may be that 22, 23 don't exist either (I accept it's been stated that someone has seen them, but my rule in my research is that it is unproven until evidence arrives).

My Marvel and DC research are probably the most robust you will find anywhere and I have confidence in what I have stated to exist / not exist. It's too early to be saying the same for Dell (and King / Archie / Gold Key) but I can already see the familiar patterns forming and can almost say with a level of confidence where the eventual figures will take me.

So do look out for the Dell thread - it's coming soon. If any more Turoks appear, I'll post them here. Do the same if you find them!

Cheers, Steve :headbang: