• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN 199 cover art - comparison - Infantino - Cooke

10 posts in this topic

I recently won this cover by Darwyn Cooke in the last Comiclink auction. It's the recreated cover to Superman 199 depicting the famous first race with the Flash. I always loved the original version of this cover by Carmine Infantino that Heritage Auctions sold many years ago. I kept a scan of that cover from the auction. It's kind of fun to see not only the differences in style of the two artists, but the things Cooke deliberately decided to change from the original. I present the Cooke one here.

Come to the Panel Page Art page to see the OA to the original by Infantino...

https://www.facebook.com/panelpageart/

darwynSup:Flash.jpg

I like how Batman, Superman's partner for years, turns on him.  What a great recreation.

4 minutes ago, glenbru said:

I'm told it was mistaken balloon replacement on the original.  Cooke just followed what was on the original.

I mean that makes sense.  Why would Bats turn on his best ever buddy?

And btw the race would have been like this-as soon as Batman said "Sh-" both contestants would have vanished.

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Personally, I prefer the Ivan Reis homage, but the Jurgens version is also an interesting take, and of course, you can never go wrong with the Simpson :)

Reis Action_Comics_892_Variant.jpg

Jurgens_Adventures_of_Superman_463.jpg

Groening Simposons comics 34.jpg

I have the Reis cover. See it HERE.

I love the Cooke piece too. Was going to bid - but since it was a commission - I passed on trying. This cover was 'homaged' several times and remains a fun topic for sure.  I am sure new versions will come up in years to come.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, glenbru said:

I recently won this cover by Darwyn Cooke in the last Comiclink auction. It's the recreated cover to Superman 199 depicting the famous first race with the Flash. I always loved the original version of this cover by Carmine Infantino that Heritage Auctions sold many years ago. I kept a scan of that cover from the auction. It's kind of fun to see not only the differences in style of the two artists, but the things Cooke deliberately decided to change from the original. I present the Cooke one here.

Come to the Panel Page Art page to see the OA to the original by Infantino...

https://www.facebook.com/panelpageart/

darwynSup:Flash.jpg

It's nothing without the Go-Go Checks (kidding) . . . and the lettering inside the circular DC emblem is a tad crude (sorry, Glen, you shoulda asked Bruce McCorkindale to re-do this one for you!).

Edited by The Voord

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

It's nothing without the Go-Go Checks (kidding) . . . and the lettering inside the circular DC emblem is a tad crude (sorry, Glen, you shoulda asked Bruce McCorkindale to re-do this one for you!).

Alright, you've convinced me.  I'm ripping it in half now.