SUPERMAN 199 cover art - comparison - Infantino - Cooke
0

11 posts in this topic

glenbru   
  • Member
  • 534 posts

I recently won this cover by Darwyn Cooke in the last Comiclink auction. It's the recreated cover to Superman 199 depicting the famous first race with the Flash. I always loved the original version of this cover by Carmine Infantino that Heritage Auctions sold many years ago. I kept a scan of that cover from the auction. It's kind of fun to see not only the differences in style of the two artists, but the things Cooke deliberately decided to change from the original. I present the Cooke one here.

Come to the Panel Page Art page to see the OA to the original by Infantino...

https://www.facebook.com/panelpageart/

darwynSup:Flash.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kav   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 39,720 posts
  • Location: Yes

I like how Batman, Superman's partner for years, turns on him.  What a great recreation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bill C   
  • Member
  • 4,986 posts
3 minutes ago, kav said:

I like how Batman, Superman's partner for years, turns on him.  What a great recreation.

That was the one thing on the cover I'd change. I'd have Batman cheering Supes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Catwoman_Fan   
  • Member
  • 702 posts

Very fun art.  I like that Darwyn filled in the left background stands, and hand lettered the whole piece. 

Wish I had gone for one of this Batman/Catwoman recreations when he sold them on ebay, but was intimidated by Albert - trying to win them all! :eek: LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glenbru   
  • Member
  • 534 posts
4 hours ago, kav said:

I like how Batman, Superman's partner for years, turns on him.  What a great recreation.

I'm told it was mistaken balloon replacement on the original.  Cooke just followed what was on the original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kav   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 39,720 posts
  • Location: Yes
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, glenbru said:

I'm told it was mistaken balloon replacement on the original.  Cooke just followed what was on the original.

I mean that makes sense.  Why would Bats turn on his best ever buddy?

And btw the race would have been like this-as soon as Batman said "Sh-" both contestants would have vanished.

Edited by kav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjonahjameson11   
  • Member
  • 359 posts

Personally, I prefer the Ivan Reis homage, but the Jurgens version is also an interesting take, and of course, you can never go wrong with the Simpson :)

 

 

Reis Action_Comics_892_Variant.jpg

Jurgens_Adventures_of_Superman_463.jpg

Groening Simposons comics 34.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Panelfan1   
  • Member
  • 704 posts
2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Personally, I prefer the Ivan Reis homage, but the Jurgens version is also an interesting take, and of course, you can never go wrong with the Simpson :)

 

 

Reis Action_Comics_892_Variant.jpg

Jurgens_Adventures_of_Superman_463.jpg

Groening Simposons comics 34.jpg

I have the Reis cover. See it HERE.

I love the Cooke piece too. Was going to bid - but since it was a commission - I passed on trying. This cover was 'homaged' several times and remains a fun topic for sure.  I am sure new versions will come up in years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DjMartini   
  • Member
  • 155 posts
  • Location: Multiverse

Love the homages to & all the races!

 

Superman_vs_Flash1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Voord   
  • Member
  • 414 posts
  • Location: United Kingdom
Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, glenbru said:

I recently won this cover by Darwyn Cooke in the last Comiclink auction. It's the recreated cover to Superman 199 depicting the famous first race with the Flash. I always loved the original version of this cover by Carmine Infantino that Heritage Auctions sold many years ago. I kept a scan of that cover from the auction. It's kind of fun to see not only the differences in style of the two artists, but the things Cooke deliberately decided to change from the original. I present the Cooke one here.

Come to the Panel Page Art page to see the OA to the original by Infantino...

https://www.facebook.com/panelpageart/

darwynSup:Flash.jpg

It's nothing without the Go-Go Checks (kidding) . . . and the lettering inside the circular DC emblem is a tad crude (sorry, Glen, you shoulda asked Bruce McCorkindale to re-do this one for you!).

Edited by The Voord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
glenbru   
  • Member
  • 534 posts
1 hour ago, The Voord said:

It's nothing without the Go-Go Checks (kidding) . . . and the lettering inside the circular DC emblem is a tad crude (sorry, Glen, you shoulda asked Bruce McCorkindale to re-do this one for you!).

Alright, you've convinced me.  I'm ripping it in half now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0

  • Welcome! Sign up and jump in!

    Membership and use of the boards is FREE! The knowledge available on these boards about comic collecting is an amazing resource for less experienced collectors. It's also a great place to talk about expert comic collecting topics with other experienced collectors. We hope that you find what you came looking for here, but more than that, we hope you find your new comic collecting home.

    Don't let the friendly banter and close knit community put you off. You're only a few posts from being part of the gang!

    After you sign up, introduce yourself! We'd love to know more about your collecting.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 28 April 2018 05:00 PM Until 29 April 2018 12:00 AM
      0  
      Little Giant Comics OLD SCHOOL COMIC SHOW 
      Here's the deal, I wanted to create the kind of show I would want to attend.
      GREAT COMICS, GREAT ART & ARTISTS!
      I want to enter a room filled with amazing comics, incredible art and talented artists, I don't think that's too much to ask.
      Seems like every show I attend only has a small amount of comic vendors (usually the same 3 or 4 people I see at every show), the rest of the floor is fidget spinners, Cosplay stopping in front of your booth for photo shoots, sweaty ROOT BEER mugs everywhere dripping on your comics or art, Pirates running around, knick knack patty whacks, energy drinks, Ice Cream vendors and flea market fodder........
      NO MORE I SAY!!  
      OLD SCHOOL COMIC SHOW
       
       
    • 20 May 2018 05:00 PM Until 21 May 2018 12:00 AM
      0  
      The third and original ( after a 7 year hiatus )  Rocky Mountain Comic Convention will be held on 
      Sunday May 20, 2018 10am - 5pm DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel Denver Stapelton 4040 Quebec Street, Denver Co. 80216 1-866-238-4218 Admission still only $10 Admission includes entry to raffle   We will have more than 30 dealers from all over Colorado and the US offering a wide variety of Comics and Comic Art from all era of collecting. This show will be run by the same people that run the very popular CalComicCon!