• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Annual March Madness CGC Grading Tournament - Round of 32
3 3

145 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

Surprised the Savage got a 7.5.  CGC definitely has a weighted view on hairline creases.  I was going back and forth between 6.5/7.0 and went with 7.0.

That's always been the classic grade hammer, even long before CGC...and rightly so...the color breaking crease. Even an otherwise 9.8 book with a single 2" CBC is now, at best, an 8.5...usually an 8.0. Very rarely a 9.0, but that book had better be gorgeous. I saw that edge creasing, plus that diagonal crease in the LRC, and I figured that was the nail in its coffin. I wavered at 6.5 for a while, but went with 6.0.

Yikes, why did the B&B get such a low grade? Popped staple? And isn't that a big, nasty tear on the bottom cover of the Cap just like the Yogi had in the last round? And that Savage cover is fugly. Here were my guesses:

B&B            5.0
CAP             5.5
SAVAGE      5.5
STRANGE   7.0

Great contest, tons of fun! Congrats to those who moved on and a big thumbs up for the organizers! (thumbsu

The double overtime book for eeb03 and AJD

Grades are due before Saturday, 10p (EST) 

X-MEN - Double cover:

Small scans:

Spoiler

2017-12-13-0072.thumb.jpg.d9e027082dbdf2dec030f905034d615a.jpg
2017-12-13-0073.thumb.jpg.f2aaa5f2bec333e0c93ac8c2bc0b939c.jpg

Large Scans:

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

I PMed everyone in the round of 32 (except for the four overtime contestants) to let them know the initial match-up I posted was incorrect and a new one was posted. Didn't want anyone to have seen the incorrect match-ups, thought they lost, and didn't come back to the thread to see the corrected match-ups. 

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon