• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not from a smoke-free home
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the right place to post this query, but I received a cgc slabbed spidey comic today (5.0, not a high grade) and it absolutely stank of smoke :(

Any advice on how I can freshen it up? I'd hate to use the wrong substance on the plastic casing.

Anybody had similar issues?

On 3/14/2018 at 3:46 PM, Peaky said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this query, but I received a cgc slabbed spidey comic today (5.0, not a high grade) and it absolutely stank of smoke :(

Any advice on how I can freshen it up? I'd hate to use the wrong substance on the plastic casing.

Anybody had similar issues?

Send it back. Your efforts will be fruitless and it may contaminate your other books.

7 minutes ago, AJD said:

Alright,thanks!

Wasn't sure if you meant the book was ruined and it may as well go in the box!

20 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Wasn't sure if you meant the book was ruined and it may as well go in the box!

If it's a Rob Liefeld book, then that would be appropriate...

5 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

is this true ?

Smoke attaches itself to anything in it's proximity.  Go to a party where there are smokers and the stink will follow you home and engulf everything you touch. All the traditional ways of getting rid of smoke smell like baking soda and vinegar can't be used with a comic book. Unless this is an AF15, I wouldn't bother with it.

We have various rooms at my place of employment.  One room has 4 employees, and 3 of them are smokers.  The smokers naturally can only smoke outside in designated areas.  

I swear to god, it smells like a stale 1970's bar in that room.  The after affects of the smoke just settles in their chairs, their keyboards, the walls, and the cubicle fabric.  Awful. 

@PeakyTry putting it in a plastic container with a box of baking soda (open) That usually absorbs odors, too. 

I'd take some glass plus (on a soft rag, do not spray it on the plastic) and wipe the slab first. If there was a lot of smoking in the room, you will see some yellow on the rag. Once you get that off, it's easier to get rid of the smell.

People laugh at me when  I list my books from a non smoking home, but I wish everyone would list whether they smoke or not.  I'm not sure which I find to be more annoying, the smokey smell, or dryer sheets that reek of perfume packed with the books, or fabreeze...that stuff (the dryer sheets and the Fabreeze), just masks the smell. The smokey odor is still there, it's just perfumed.

Edited by skypinkblu

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Smoke attaches itself to anything in it's proximity.  Go to a party where there are smokers and the stink will follow you home and engulf everything you touch. All the traditional ways of getting rid of smoke smell like baking soda and vinegar can't be used with a comic book. Unless this is an AF15, I wouldn't bother with it.

The smoke doesn't permeate the plastic, it settles on top of it, that's why I wipe off the slabs. I just don't want to use something that will drip into the comic itself.