• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lucas museum breaking ground
1 1

31 posts in this topic

George Lucas has one of the best Comic book collections in the world, I believe he completed it sometime after the Empire Strikes Back in the 1980's, he had a straw buyer for him during those days, he also bought OA from Russ Cochran, including a carl barks original duck painting...this will come out when the museum  opens and some exhibits hit the public....he also was a silent partner of a famous new york comic book store in the 80's....

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

I still own that Kirby Master works book located in the shop window... the good ol' days!

kirby.jpg

I published this book.
I moved into NYC in June of 1976, and my apartment was a block from Supersnipe. Bought my comics every week from the store on 2nd Ave. About a year later, Ed opened the Gallery around the corner 84th St.. I spent a lot of time there hanging with Simon Deitch, son of Gene Deitch. I think it's also where I met Scott Dunbier.
Your picture is from late 1978 and it's the store on 2nd Ave. Not the Gallery on 84th St.

2 hours ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

The store was called Supersnipe and George Lucas had his hands on incredible art while he was there.

Lucas obtained the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #1 because of Ed Summer . 

Yes put your tongues back into your mouths folks, Lucas owns it. Thats just the tip of the ice berg .

Those of us who knew Ed , will know exactly what i am talking about.

So we may just be lucky enough to see that ASM # 1 cover hanging up in the Lucas museum. sometime in the near future.

Every imaginable treasure once passed through the Supersnipe store . 

And i do mean everything. From Frazetta to Ditko art.... EVERYTHING.

The place was tiny but it was truly legendary .

RIP ED .

SuperSnipeComics.jpg

I thought Lucas owned the gallery next door with Ed, not the comic store?

6 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Awesome.    Surely that pic can’t be from 78 though?   I thought the comics in the window were more like 83? Offhand 

Not to mention they didn't open their doors in 66.

26 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Awesome.    Surely that pic can’t be from 78 though?   I thought the comics in the window were more like 83? Offhand 

On the flip side, the sign in the window says master charge. That name and logo was phased out in 1979 to MasterCard. Id be shocked if they kept the logo up for 4 years.

ART dealer I thank you for publishing that wonderful Kirby Master works under Privateer Press ! Just a fantastic look into the artistry of Jack Kirby!

To my recollection the photo is 1982-83 of the comic shop. Ed ran the comic shop and Simon ran the gallery. Oddly enough there was no Star Wars art at the Gallery .

And you would think because Lucas was involved there would be a hint of it. But to my understanding he was funding the gallery silently and getting original art on the side for his own private collection.

If memory serves correctly there was a Mcquarrie Star Wars show of some kind but thats it ( and that was late 70's ). No other Star Wars related art. I remember Frazetta Paintings and Comic Art.

Lots of Kirby Covers ,I remember seeing a great Thor cover there. Buscema Savage Sword of Conan art inked by Alcala. Neal Adams Avengers pages. Anything and everything in piles all on board and shrink/saran wrapped!

These were the days before Original art mylar sleeves and cel phones... yes both are actual true facts! non existed folks!

There was art that was available to the public and than there was the art that was exclusively for the purposes of cherry picking into Lucas's private collection.

And don't get me started on prices. For a collector if you had a few bucks in your pocket it was something special!

P.S. And yes Scott Dunbier must have been 16, 17 years old and worked at Action Comics at the time ( there were 2 stores he worked at the first one )... wow that brings back memories!

Edited by MarvelComicsArt

7 hours ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

The store was called Supersnipe and George Lucas had his hands on incredible art while he was there.

Yes put your tongues back into your mouths folks, Lucas owns it. Thats just the tip of the ice berg .

So we may just be lucky enough to see that ASM # 1 cover hanging up in the Lucas museum. sometime in the near future.

RIP ED .

SuperSnipeComics.jpg

Lucas collection has to be in the top 3, and combined with art possible #1, sorry Jim

9 hours ago, Bronty said:

Conan the King 20 and Moon Knight 35 are both Jan 1984 cover dated issues, probably put in the window to highlight the current batch of new comics in stock, so the photo is likely from late 1983 (which is the absolute earliest it could have been unless they had a time machine). 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Conan the King 20 and Moon Knight 35 are both Jan 1984 cover dated issues, probably put in the window to highlight the current batch of new comics in stock, so the photo is likely from late 1983 (which is the absolute earliest it could have been unless they had a time machine). 

And DNAgents #5 is in the window! That’s where my DPS is from. Dated August of 1983. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

13 hours ago, wurstisart said:

Sorry...what ? We are dissing MasterCard Logos and such.

Marvelcomicsart just mentioned  the ASM 1 Cover..THE COVER! 

Can we hear more about that and what else Lucas owns. This is amazing ! Please share.

:popcorn:

On 3/18/2018 at 1:40 PM, MarvelComicsArt said:

RIP ED .

SuperSnipeComics.jpg

If it's true that Lucas actually owns the ASM 1 cover, this is the first I've heard about it...and I've been listening to stories about who owns what since 1994.  I'd love to know how you know this, MarvelComicsArt.  I'd also be curious to know who is giving us this information.  I assume your parents did not name you, MarvelComics Art.  If they did, I'm jealous.

I'm Glen Brunswick, BTW.  By way of introduction.  I'd be happy to make your acquaintance.

All i can say is this. Ed Summer had the magical ability with the help of his magical rolodex to get the most amazing artwork you could possibly think of. He knew every artist personally.

I will share a tidbit. Jack Abel one day pops into the comic book store. He was renting studio space at Continuity studios ( YES , Neal Adams Continuity Studios) .

He was a very nice gentleman and a huge baseball fan. Ask him about The M&M boys , he could recite every stat and detail about the magical summer of 61.

The biggest Yankee fan EVER! And probably tied for being the biggest Baseball fan alongside with Joe Sinnott . Why i bring this up was that he came over to the store because, he was headed a few avenues up towards

Central Park to play organized league softball  . So he just casually drops off some Trimpe hulk pages, some " Gary Michaels" Colan Ironman pages and probably 100 or more Swan Superman pages .

During the drop off Jack is furious because he mentions seeing a poster for an upcoming exhibition. A Roy Lichtenstein exhibition at the Whitney Museum .

Boy oh boy was he pissed off .This was always a major sore spot for Jack .  Roy swiped individual panels of Jacks art , blew them up and sold them like hot cakes.

Jack was so livid he could hardly contain himself. Nothing made his blood boil more than the mere mention of Roy Lichtenson.  That "son of a B**ch thief" was the exact quote. ( Which he used for many years )

I know, I know you are all asking  yourselves what does this have to do with anything. 

Well, PATIENCE is a great virtue FOLKS!

As he exits he says oh don't worry i didn't forget Ed i spoke with Steve about the cover.

Oh and as i mentioned earlier in this post . Everyone, and i do mean everyone dropped by Continuity Studios at that particular time, including SD to see his friend "GARY MICHAELS"!

I appreciate all the pm's but i will have to politely decline to not comment on any further info.

Someone asked me to please not say anymore on the subject. So i will respect that persons feelings since i understand some topics are better kept private ( this was not about the asm # 1, but other art that ED sold)....

Edited by MarvelComicsArt

35 minutes ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

All i can say is this. Ed Summer had the magical ability with the help of his magical rolodex to get the most amazing artwork you could possibly think of. He knew every artist personally.

I will share a tidbit. Jack Abel one day pops into the comic book store. He was renting studio space at Continuity studios ( YES , Neal Adams Continuity Studios) .

He was a very nice gentleman and a huge baseball fan. Ask him about The M&M boys , he could recite every stat and detail about the magical summer of 61.

The biggest Yankee fan EVER! And probably tied for being the biggest Baseball fan alongside with Joe Sinnott . Why i bring this up was that he came over to the store because, he was headed a few avenues up towards

Central Park to play organized league softball  . So he just casually drops off some Trimpe hulk pages, some " Gary Michaels" Colan Ironman pages and probably 100 or more Swan Superman pages .

During the drop off Jack is furious because he mentions seeing a poster for an upcoming exhibition. A Roy Lichtenstein exhibition at the Whitney Museum .

Boy oh boy was he pissed off .This was always a major sore spot for Jack .  Roy swiped individual panels of Jacks art , blew them up and sold them like hot cakes.

Jack was so livid he could hardly contain himself. Nothing made his blood boil more than the mere mention of Roy Lichtenson.  That "son of a B**ch thief" was the exact quote. ( Which he used for many years )

I know, I know you are all asking  yourselves what does this have to do with anything. 

Well, PATIENCE is a great virtue FOLKS!

As he exits he says oh don't worry i didn't forget Ed i spoke with Steve about the cover.

Oh and as i mentioned earlier in this post . Everyone, and i do mean everyone dropped by Continuity Studios at that particular time, including SD to see his friend "GARY MICHAELS"!

I appreciate all the pm's but i will have to politely decline to not comment on any further info.

Someone asked me to please not say anymore on the subject. So i will respect that persons feelings since i understand some topics are better kept private ( this was not about the asm # 1, but other art that ED sold)....

You might be considered a more credible source if you were willing to share your identity with us.