• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JLA #1 cgc 9.6 in May 18 heritage auction!!!
2 2

55 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:
15 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

There is no chance this breaks $250k.  I don't think it will even break $100k. 

-J.

I agree on this too.

Edited 11 hours ago by sho

I as well in agreement.  There's just no real demand for this book. Not quite desirable compared to other SA keys. My opinion of course. I'd rather put that $ on major Marvel SA keys or a SC 4 or 22.

4 hours ago, JLA Brad said:

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind selling this book (and the other two) right now.  I don't think there is a time in the last 8 years when JLA's are LESS in demand.

I will guess that given the current market, the seller is hoping to get a 9.4 price for an overgraded book in a 9.6 slab...

Edited by bronze johnny

11 hours ago, JLA Brad said:

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind selling this book (and the other two) right now.  I don't think there is a time in the last 8 years when JLA's are LESS in demand.

Really? I just did a deal that included several highest graded JLA books and having dealt with some of the biggest JLA collectors in the hobby they have told me the exact opposite.

They seem to think that JLA is hot but they may only mean the high end JLA books they're chasing.

8 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

There's just no real demand for this book. Not quite desirable compared to other SA keys. My opinion of course. I'd rather put that $ on major Marvel SA keys or a SC 4 or 22

High grade DC's have been heating up across the board (not just SC #4 or #22) but because supply is so sparse a small demand quickly equals an uptick in price.

I have no idea what this book will sell for but I wouldn't be surprised if it did well at auction. It is a highest graded copy of a legitimately tough book and a it is a DC key.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:
11 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

There's just no real demand for this book. Not quite desirable compared to other SA keys. My opinion of course. I'd rather put that $ on major Marvel SA keys or a SC 4 or 22

High grade DC's have been heating up across the board (not just SC #4 or #22) but because supply is so sparse a small demand quickly equals an uptick in price.

I have no idea what this book will sell for but I wouldn't be surprised if it did well at auction. It is a highest graded copy of a legitimately tough book and a it is a DC key.

Yeah, I'm curious as well as to how the book will do in auction.  I have no idea as well on what it will hammer.  Yes, the book is a DC key, but I wouldn't put it in Tier 1 keys which I have reserved for SC 4, 22, and B&B 28 for DC SA only.  

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Really? I just did a deal that included several highest graded JLA books and having dealt with some of the biggest JLA collectors in the hobby they have told me the exact opposite.

They seem to think that JLA is hot but they may only mean the high end JLA books they're chasing.

Metro too was after some high grade early JLA issues for their customers.

8 hours ago, comicquant said:

My thoughts as well.  Even the bottom right is a bit beat up.  The grades coming out of CGC lately would put this book at a 9.2.

Went back and looked at it more carefully. Agreed, would be a 9.2 if currently graded.

1 hour ago, bronze johnny said:
9 hours ago, comicquant said:

My thoughts as well.  Even the bottom right is a bit beat up.  The grades coming out of CGC lately would put this book at a 9.2.

Went back and looked at it more carefully. Agreed, would be a 9.2 if currently graded.

um-mm ... guys, book was graded 2 weeks ago :makepoint:

Grade Date: 03/02/2018
Edited by Gotham Kid

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

um-mm ... book was graded 2 weeks ago

Grade Date: 03/02/2018

Thanks for pointing that out. So much for tougher grading right now (in my view at least). I guess it depends on the book? 

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
14 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Metro too was after some high grade early JLA issues for their customers.

JLA seems kind of undervalued now ..... and it was once one of the cornerstones of the DC Universe in the SA. Doesn't seem like a bad choice to do a little speculating on, for those who care for that. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Looks like JLA prices have started to recover from the post-movie tanking. The CGC 6.0 Cream to Off-White (listed as Light Tan in the auction description - I guess it was resubbed for page quality jump?) pages copy of B&B #28 sold for $8365, which is higher than I expected given the stain on the back cover, staple tears, and horrible centering. 

On 5/10/2018 at 5:08 PM, JLA Brad said:

That IS a strong price considering that is NOT a 9.6!

Yeah - I don't know how that came out as a 9.6.  I see lots of white along the spine and the previously mentioned bottom corners...

Edited by pemart1966

I just don't know how someone can say this book is a 9.2

It's pretty nice, and magnified all of the defects are going to to look much bigger.

I can see it as a tight 9.4 or a loose 9.6

I certainly don't think they're off by 2 points.