• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ava DuVernay's New Gods

129 posts in this topic

When you read the details, this actually sounds very positive and could be a perfect fit.

Ava DuVernay To Direct Jack Kirby Comic Creation ‘The New Gods’ For Warner Bros, DC

ava-duvernay-new-gods.jpg?w=446&h=299&cr

After making history as the first woman of color to helm a $100 million-plus live-action film in A Wrinkle In Time, Ava DuVernay will continue to play in the event film sandbox. She’s closing a deal with Warner Bros and DC to direct a big-budget screen adaptation of The New Gods, the creation of revered comic book impresario Jack Kirby. The studio will quickly set a screenwriter who’ll craft the narrative and work closely with DuVernay.

This will be another $100M-plus film for DuVernay, who has taken quite a leap in scale since her breakout film Selma. She unveiled a New Gods connection late last year when she responded to a question on social media on who her favorite superhero is. “Big Barda. Many reasons” was her reply. Big Barda is one of the New Gods and the wife of Mister Miracle, also a Kirby creation.

This is a bold move for Warner Bros/DC and not just because this is the second superhero franchise they’ve handed to a female director after Patty Jenkins turned Wonder Woman into a crowd-pleasing blockbuster and is working on the sequel with Gal Gadot. Unlike recent DC fare, this is a freestanding world created and designed by Kirby back in 1971, not long after the prolific comic legend had exited Marvel.

Her even knowing who Big Barda is at the time long before the official announcement is nice to read.

Edited by Bosco685

Ava DuVernay Celebrates 'New Gods' Announcement By Thanking Jack Kirby

Jack Kirby, the legendary comic book creator responsible for the creation of the New Gods, was on filmmaker Ava DuVernay's mind tonight as she acknowledged the news of her upcoming New Gods movie with a Kirby quote on Twitter.

Since the news broke, DuVernay had been "liking" reactions on Twitter, but had not yet retweeted any of the many reports on the project or said anything directly about it. She still has not -- exactly -- but by tweeting a photo of Jack Kirby and an inspirational quote attributed to the artist, it seems she has made her first, cryptic, acknowledgment of the project.

Set after Ragnarok and the birth of a new generation of gods, The New Gods was part of Jack Kirby's Fourth World cycle of storytelling, along with Mister Miracle and The Forever People. The story pits the evil gods of Apokolips, led by Darkseid, against the bright and idealistic gods of New Genesis, led by Highfather.

Steppenwolf, the villain in last year's Justice League, is one of the New Gods and the uncle of Darkseid. Nevertheless, DuVernay's New Gods will be unrelated to the existing DC movies, and will presumably either omit Steppenwolf or use a more comics-accurate version of the character.

:applause:

this can be a good chance for WB/DC to build and open up everyone outside of the comic fans to the New Gods. and she doesn't have to worry about the movie fitting into a timeline all it has to do is introduce the New Gods worlds and Multiverse. 

Warner Bros And DC's THE NEW GODS Project From A WRINKLE IN TIME's Ava DuVernay Gets A Writer

KarioSalem_WritingMiniMovie_1998_900x600

The news that Ava DuVernay would be directing an adaption of The New Gods for Warner Bros, certainly came as a surprise to many people. While that initial report was very light on actual details, it did reveal that the studio would be looking to hire a screenwriter that would work closely alongside the director, in developing and crafting the film.

It's now been revealed that Kario Salem, will be said screenwriter. While Salem is perhaps more commonly known as an actor, he is an occasional and accomplished writer, who won an Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries or TV Movie for the film Don King: Only in America in the late '90s.  He also served a co-writer on the 2001 DeNiro and Marlon Brando film The Score, as well as the 2012 biographical film Chasing Mavericks.

Not to sound like a prophet of doom but isn't anybody concerned with the performance of "A Wrinkle In Time"?  I don't see anything in her movie portfolio that makes me go "WOW".

The New Gods is a complicated story for the general audience to understand without individual movies to introduce some of the main characters.  You have to explain the son of Darkseid story which includes Highfather, Kalibak, and Orion...at a minimum.

The closest movie comparison I can think of is the Inhumans:sick:.

6 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

The New Gods is a complicated story for the general audience to understand without individual movies to introduce some of the main characters.  You have to explain the son of Darkseid story which includes Highfather, Kalibak, and Orion...at a minimum.

The closest movie comparison I can think of is the Inhumans:sick:.

Would say George Lucas 'borrowed' from New Gods and left out the Boom Tube. Star Wars Episodes 4 & 5: explain the son of Darth Vader story which includes Yoda, Obi Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. The latter 2 children raised by different parents, and Luke almost succumbs to the Dark Side (Darkseid). 2c

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Would say George Lucas 'borrowed' from New Gods and left out the Boom Tube. Star Wars Episodes 4 & 5: explain the son of Darth Vader story which includes Yoda, Obi Wan Kenobi, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. The latter 2 children raised by different parents, and Luke almost succumbs to the Dark Side (Darkseid). 2c

agtmbomg.gif.91890a11825d40bb336d674f4814df45.gif

12 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Pure coincidence.

You forgot to mention The Source and The Force.

13 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I suspect that'll be in the sequel, New Gods Episode 2: Apokolips Strikes Back.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎18 at 6:09 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I suspect that'll be in the sequel, New Gods Episode 2:

'No, Orion. I am ... your father.' 'No, Mr Miracle. I am ... your Highfather.'

New Gods Episode 3: Return to the Source. No green teet milk please.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

So in the comic books, Darkseid has his mother Heggra (Steppenwolf's sister) poisoned to eliminate her further tampering with his future. But in the DCU, Heggra was Steppenwolf's mother who he was trying to bring back so as to fight Darkseid.

I wonder how they will handle the backstory here, if at all. Will it even mention why Steppenwolf was so bent on bringing his mother back?

15 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Not to sound like a prophet of doom but isn't anybody concerned with the performance of "A Wrinkle In Time"?  I don't see anything in her movie portfolio that makes me go "WOW".

This.

More than anything else, this makes me want to hire her agent.

Because it takes mad skill to finalize and announce a deal like this for your client just five days after A Wrinkle In Time bombs.

That's roughly equivalent to announcing Andrew Stanton was set to direct Guardians of the Galaxy five days after John Carter opened.

Of the evil New Gods, I'll be interested in seeing Doctor Bedlam on-screen, but hopefully they'll do everyone a favour and omit Glorious Godfrey and Virman Vundabar.

Edited by Ken Aldred