• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ava DuVernay's New Gods

129 posts in this topic

It’s not a marvel movie so it’s sucks - if this was the same director attempting to do the eternals the complete opposite would take place in this thread

i didn’t see wrinkle in time but it’s not my type of movie 

Bird is right, most of these super hero movies suck at being actual films. We only tolerate them or “love” them due to the relation they have with our super heroes and childhood.

if these movies were just stand alone films with no history for us we’d think they were just ok (A few are excellent)

On 6/4/2018 at 6:43 AM, Chuck Gower said:

A lot of the budget of that movie was burned in its time in development hell.

Ryan Coogler had only Creed ($107m) to go by before his big break with Black Panther.

The Russo Brothers had You, Me and DuPree ($75m) as their biggest hit before they got Winter Soldier.

Joss Whedon had a successful TV career, but his biggest movie before the Avengers was Serenity at $25m (on a $39m budget)

Before Christopher Nolan got Batman Begins, his biggest hit was Insomnia at $67m (on a $46m budget)

Patty Jenkins, before she got Wonder Woman had 'Monster' with a whopping $34m Box Office.

Sam Raimi before he got Spider-man, had his biggest box office with 'For The Love of The Game' at $35m with an $89m budget. In fact, his last couple of movies leading up to Spider-man all did under budget. Maybe he has the same agent?

Ryan Coogler made Fruitvale Station before Creed.

On 6/4/2018 at 11:31 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Here's why those analogies don't hold:

Immediately before being offered New Gods, Ana Du Vernay had already had her shot -- and missed (big-time), with A Wrinkle in Time.

So the better analogy would be seeing Josh Trank's failure with FF, and immediately having a studio turn around and give him $200 million to make a Teen Titans movie.

This isn't an indie-auteur being offered a big-budget franchise -- this is someone who had already helmed a big-budget movie that tanked -- losing the studio tens of millions in the process and killing any sequel/franchise hopes.

And FYI -- the Russo Brothers' biggest pre-Winter Soldier hit was TV's Arrested Development, not You, Me and Dupree.

No, she had her shot with Selma, and scored, then had another shot with 13, and scored.

2 hours ago, Hawkman2 said:

No, she had her shot with Selma, and scored, then had another shot with 13, and scored.

The shot's I'm talking about are films with mega-budgets.

Vast difference between giving a relatively new director with 1-2 solid indy hits -- like Sema ($20 million) or even Creed ($35 million) -- to giving them a film with a $100-$200 million budget.

Coogler's shot at this level was Black Panther -- and he knocked it out of the park.

Du Vernay's equivalent shot was A Wrinkle in Time ($103 million budget) and she whiffed.

Mark Webb's still around because when he was given his first $100+ million budget (Amazing Spider-Man, $230 million budget) it still made more than $700 million.

Carl Rinsch isn't because after being given $175 million for 47 million, it only grossed $152 million worldwide.

Du Vernay belongs to that latter category.

One of the things I could see going against this picture is people are going to think DC is ripping off Marvel with Darkseid compared to Thanos.

Yeah, I know Darkseid came first, but mainstream and most of the mainstream critics don't know that, and it will seem like that to them that DC is copying Marvel again.

So hopefully DuVernay can spin some magic were Darkseid won't be compared to Thanos.

It will be very tough.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

44 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One of the things I could see going against this picture is people are going to think DC is ripping off Marvel with Darkseid compared to Thanos.

Yeah, I know Darkseid came first, but mainstream and most of the mainstream critics don't know that, and it will seem like that to them that DC is copying Marvel again.

So hopefully DuVernay can spin some magic were Darkseid won't be compared to Thanos.

It will be very tough.

Was Darkseid ever mentioned in BvS?

I can't recall.

That's actually what I'm most intrigued about, the casting. You are potentially setting people up to be the next ScarJo, Chris Evans, and so on with possibilities of long term contracts. Do you go "known" faces or does someone new step in and grab the limelight?

On 3/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, Bosco685 said:

They so need to cast a powerful woman in the role of Big Barda. Was watching this the other night and was really impressed with the overall film.

Watched this the other evening, I thought bit of a hokey --script at times, voice acting is not always the best but some good action scenes and some genuine funny lines.

Granny would be an interesting character to cast!

On 6/13/2018 at 4:36 AM, Gatsby77 said:

The shot's I'm talking about are films with mega-budgets.

Vast difference between giving a relatively new director with 1-2 solid indy hits -- like Sema ($20 million) or even Creed ($35 million) -- to giving them a film with a $100-$200 million budget.

Coogler's shot at this level was Black Panther -- and he knocked it out of the park.

Du Vernay's equivalent shot was A Wrinkle in Time ($103 million budget) and she whiffed.

Mark Webb's still around because when he was given his first $100+ million budget (Amazing Spider-Man, $230 million budget) it still made more than $700 million.

Carl Rinsch isn't because after being given $175 million for 47 million, it only grossed $152 million worldwide.

Du Vernay belongs to that latter category.

THE FILM

A WRINKLE IN TIME

DISNEY

Total Loss: -$130.6M

wrinkle-in-time-2.jpg?w=301&h=202&crop=1
Disney

Disney towered over other major studios last year with a $7.3 billion global haul, the second-best industry take ever behind the studio’s own 2016 global B.O. $7.6B record. However, the Burbank, CA studio also owned three of the biggest flops on our annual list. With the studio raking in money from its Marvel Cinematic Universe, they were able to take big bets on director’s epic visions, even if they came up quite short. Disney fully backed and supported the passionate vision of Ava DuVernay (the first African American woman to direct a $100M-plus event film) who was a fan of the 56-year-old-plus kids’ sci-fi/fantasy novel by Madeleine L’Engle. Despite having the marketing push power of star Oprah Winfrey behind A Wrinkle in Time, and a big splash on last year’s Oscarcast where big stars on the show crashed a screening, audiences and critics (42% Rotten Tomatoes score) didn’t take to this confusing and opulent tale of a girl’s search for her scientist father in another galaxy. Before Disney began developing the property in 2010, the book was kicked around in development as early as 1993 with Miramax, and later screenwriters John August and Beauty and the Beast‘s Linda Woolverton trying to take a crack. Disney muscled domestic results to $100.4M, but globally no one was interested in seeing A Wrinkle in Time with a total WW result of $132.6M.

11 hours ago, paperheart said:

THE FILM

A WRINKLE IN TIME

DISNEY

Total Loss: -$130.6M

wrinkle-in-time-2.jpg?w=301&h=202&crop=1

Disney

Disney towered over other major studios last year with a $7.3 billion global haul, the second-best industry take ever behind the studio’s own 2016 global B.O. $7.6B record. However, the Burbank, CA studio also owned three of the biggest flops on our annual list. With the studio raking in money from its Marvel Cinematic Universe, they were able to take big bets on director’s epic visions, even if they came up quite short. Disney fully backed and supported the passionate vision of Ava DuVernay (the first African American woman to direct a $100M-plus event film) who was a fan of the 56-year-old-plus kids’ sci-fi/fantasy novel by Madeleine L’Engle. Despite having the marketing push power of star Oprah Winfrey behind A Wrinkle in Time, and a big splash on last year’s Oscarcast where big stars on the show crashed a screening, audiences and critics (42% Rotten Tomatoes score) didn’t take to this confusing and opulent tale of a girl’s search for her scientist father in another galaxy. Before Disney began developing the property in 2010, the book was kicked around in development as early as 1993 with Miramax, and later screenwriters John August and Beauty and the Beast‘s Linda Woolverton trying to take a crack. Disney muscled domestic results to $100.4M, but globally no one was interested in seeing A Wrinkle in Time with a total WW result of $132.6M.

My point.

It's more than a year later and still zero additional information about New Gods on IMDB - not a release date, stars, anything.

I'd still bet heavily against our ever seeing a New Gods film with DuVernay attached.

Speaking of which...

THEORY SPIRAL: Could NEW GODS Be a Continuation of the DCEU?

NewGods.jpg

The DC Extended Universe has had a bit of a question mark over it in the time since Justice League opened to less-than-stellar box office results. While Aquaman and Shazam contained at least one reference to the shared universe, the stand alone Joker movie hasn’t received the special “black label”-like branding Warner Brothers originally discussed, signaling they may not be as concerned about distinguishing that as they were before. The Suicide Squad is being described as a “total reboot ”, despite a lot of the cast returning. It’s all but totally confirmed Matt Reeves’ The Batman will be a separate thing in and of itself (but could be merged down the line).

One of the most exciting projects in the DC pipeline is the adaptation of The New Gods from visionary director Ava DuVernay. It was recently announced that Tom King, writer of the twice-monthly Batman comic book series, would be helping DuVernay on scripting duties. In addition to his Batman gig, King wrote a much praised Mister Miracle book and has shown he is very familiar with Jack Kirby’s fourth world work. 

King recently sat down with Entertainment Weekly to discuss his highly anticipated upcoming Batman / Catwoman bookand the reasons he’s stepping off the twice-monthly Batman monthly title: 

“I’m working on a DCU movie now (New Gods with Ava DuVernay) and a secret TV show thing that hasn’t been announced,”

Last Thursday, I jumped on Twitter to speculate if King’s reference to the “DCU” was an indication it would continue the DCU Story. Of course “DCU” Is the official terminology for the shared universe as has been used by former head of DC Films, Geoff Johns:

If New Gods is indeed set in the current DCU, it would seem to dispel the notion that DC is intent on starting a new universe with The Batman and that current versions of the characters will be phased out and replaced with ones in The Batman universe. If this were the case, why would Warner Brothers and DC be looking to start new franchises set in the DCU?

There are two likelier scenarios. First is Reeves has free reign to replace any Batman elements in the DCU with the exception of Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn. The second is that The Batman is indeed a separate universe and should they ever decide to do a team up again, they’ll figure out a way to bring Robert Pattinson’s dark knight into the fray using a really nerdy plot device. Of course, there’s always the possibility WB will let the audience make up connect their own dots.