• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TurtleCrazyGirl1999: The new champ of Stan Lee autograph forgeries
1 1

29 posts in this topic

If for no other reason, you can tell these are forgeries because none are signed across a character's face or any other ridiculous place. They are all nicely, neatly placed. People actually buy these. And then leave positive feedback! This is pretty awful

20 hours ago, speedcake said:

If for no other reason, you can tell these are forgeries because none are signed across a character's face or any other ridiculous place. They are all nicely, neatly placed. People actually buy these. And then leave positive feedback! This is pretty awful

There was a time when Stan would sign neatly and pick a path of less resistance; he'd choose a place where not only his signature, but the surrounding art of that spot would enhance each other. Let's face it, Stan is a creator and an artist. He knows which artistic elements compliment each other. Years ago, you'd meet Stan, exchange greetings and you could ask Stan to sign something in a certain place in a certain color and he was very accommodating. You didn't have to get cagey and cut a template, a window in a comic bagged book to guide him to that spot. You'd ask, he'd sign it there, and it was legible, for the most part. Fast forward 20 years or more and you get the illegible Stan Lee's over faces and key elements of art, sometimes even over other creator's and artist's signatures already on the piece!

The placement alone here is not the tell as he used to sign in places that don't block faces. It's the track itself that's not right for any stage in his life. It's not his handwriting, past or present, regardless of placement..

What I am wondering about something... did CGC or other slab services have the ability to tell if the Stan Lee signatures (turtlecrazygirl auctions) are real or fake? Just asking that out of curiosity. Still, I am surprised that people are willing to bid on these books like that.

1 hour ago, Zevgoli said:

Why do you think these signatures are fake?  They look good to me.

Anyone who has consistently seen Stan sign over a long swath of time and is an aficionado of autographs would know. The entire baseline is off here, but that much is consistent with Tonfulle-84's forgeries. There are motions that Stan makes when he signs, even with subtle differences from sig to sig that are not evident in the same way the path of the pen took in these and in Tonfulle-84's forgeries. Any prime authenticator would red-light all of these. PSA, JSA, etc. Not just with a finding, "unable to authenticate", which infers doubt that it may be real, but they're not sure enough to pass it. All of these would fail. No question about it.

1 hour ago, Zevgoli said:

Why do you think these signatures are fake?  They look good to me.

We're comic hobbyists. Because we're intimately familiar with comics and their grading, the great majority of us here can quickly discern the vast difference between a VG and a VF comic by noting the flaws. A lot of us can readily tell the difference between a VG and a FN comic, by noting the flaws that are still quite evident, but not quite as evident as on the greater difference between a VG and a VF comic. Some of us are exceptionally good graders and can recognize the far more subtle flaws between a VG and a VG/FN, or even between a VG and a VG+ comic, a very fine line indeed that not most in the general hobby other than right here among members can consistently do.

The same is true of autograph collectors. Many have the same kind of expertise in identifying flaws, equal to those here that can consistently differentiate between one notch in grade on a comic. There are flaws in signatures. Although our signatures are subject to change, the way in which we execute them, that is, hold the pen, the angle, the trajectory of the tip, the depth/pressure, the lift points,  remains pretty much the same, even if there are intervallic differences, like a little more space here and there, size differences on a whole and within, each component, etc.

These just don't cut it for any stage in Stan Lee's signing career. There are no documented signatures of Stan's in the past 50 years that come close to anything here on a micro level, it's not him. And an autograph hobbyist with a great deal of expertise in certain signatures can tell the same way a comic hobbyist here can tell the difference between a VG and a Fine. In this case, these are so far off that it's like telling the difference between a VG and a VF/NM!

The only reason I won't mention why, analytically, is because I don't want to help them to correct these glaring defects..

the other red flag is the sheer quantity of the number of books signed. The last local convention attended by Stan Lee in my parts he charged $75 per signature.

The books chosen for signatures are anything and everything.

10 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

the other red flag is the sheer quantity of the number of books signed. The last local convention attended by Stan Lee in my parts he charged $75 per signature.

The books chosen for signatures are anything and everything.

Bargain box material. And exactly. No COA, no backstory, no source quoted, plus they're willing to let them go for $19.95?!? Seems like unlimited quantities as well. You'd have to question that even if the forgeries were top quality. But that's not the reason alone here. The forgeries are garbage. Forged by someone who was never within 50 feet of Stan to see how he signs.

The successful forgers don't just study the finished product and try to duplicate that. They study the mechanism that imparts the signature on the medium. This isn't even a third rate forger and which is why none of their items will even approach a realistic result of what a real Stan should sell for. The only buyers paying near or at true value know their stuff. These buyers haven't a clue. It's a bargain, and like buying dollar bills for 30 cents, they're getting what they paid for. Counterfeits.

4 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

What I am wondering about something... did CGC or other slab services have the ability to tell if the Stan Lee signatures (turtlecrazygirl auctions) are real or fake? Just asking that out of curiosity. Still, I am surprised that people are willing to bid on these books like that.

CGC will only guarantee the signatures if they actually witness the signature being done in most cases.

That is why the adverts annoy me that they say "CGC it!". If you purchased one of these forged signature books and sent it to CGC for grading it would never get a yellow label.

Another grading company claims they can verify signatures, to what degree of certainty is in my opinion a question.

I only have a few Stan Lee signed items. I am not one for signed comicbooks, but I do have these items.  Signed 3 years ago.

These are genuine real Stan Lee signatures. Compare them to the forged ones, it is easy to see the differences.

imageproxyM8UHJ06E.jpg

ASM StanLee.jpg

40 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

CGC will only guarantee the signatures if they actually witness the signature being done in most cases.

That is why the adverts annoy me that they say "CGC it!". If you purchased one of these forged signature books and sent it to CGC for grading it would never get a yellow label.

Another grading company claims they can verify signatures, to what degree of certainty is in my opinion a question.

Makes sense and true. 

And with your items showing the real signatures... now I can see the difference with the turtlegirl1999’s books. They are fake clearly.  Someone need to whistle up to eBay about that matter going on their site.