• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Michael Fleisher RIP
1 1

23 posts in this topic

DC comics writer Michael Fleisher has passed away.

https://www.cbr.com/michael-fleisher-jonah-hex-spectre-passed-away/

His run on Jonah Hex was brilliant, until the very end when he was deperately trying to save the book from cancellation. His work on the Spectre with Jim Aparo was also a highlight of the Bronze Age. 

RIP, Mike.

I'd recommend getting the Showcase Jonah Hex trade paperbacks.

As well as consistently good writing from him, lots of nice DeZuniga and Garcia-Lopez artwork.

One of the best Spectre writers, returning the character to what suits him the most;  being a very dark spirit of vengeance.

Sad news.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I’m always looking Ro discover great writers in comics. Never heard of this writer, never read JOHNA HEX. Can anyone be specific with issue numbers to start with for a beginner?

thanks for any help

It’s actually very consistent, right from the beginning, where Fleisher was preceded by John Albano.

Great reading,  collected in trade format - as I suggested.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I’m always looking Ro discover great writers in comics. Never heard of this writer, never read JOHNA HEX. Can anyone be specific with issue numbers to start with for a beginner?

thanks for any help

As to Spectre, it was the brief Adventure Comics run, #431-439 I believe; maybe 440. The Spectre was brutal and vengeful, would have fit in perfectly in a 50's pre-code title! I bet a decent shape run is findable on eBay at an affordable price. I assembled it, enjoyed the heck out of it and eventually traded it, but it's not hard to assemble, let alone find whole. Enjoy!

Just read the Wiki entry on Fleisher.

I remembered this name as the writer of the Encyclopedias of Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman and wondered if it was the same guy. Apparently it is.

I read the Batman encyclopedia from cover to cover as a kid. Loved it. He never did finish the 6 volume set with the other characters (I think Green Lantern was supposed to be one of them, along with Flash and I'm not sure who else)

Wiki went on to say that a few people (like Harlan Ellison) said that he was not 'all there' and it affected his career.

From what I can see though, he seemed to be highly intelligent and pretty sharp all around.

Edited by VintageComics

4 hours ago, Readcomix said:

As to Spectre, it was the brief Adventure Comics run, #431-439 I believe; maybe 440. The Spectre was brutal and vengeful, would have fit in perfectly in a 50's pre-code title!

Yup. It was a reversion to the original, very dark nature of the character, as seen in the earlier GA More Fun Comics, with lots of bizarre retribution against criminals.

Both Fleisher and, later, John Ostrander, understood what made his stories work best.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 hours ago, NoMan said:

thanks for any help

The guy is really really good. Think of Steve Gerber.

Here is what Harlan Ellison said about his writing was it is crazy", "certifiable", "twisted", "derange-o.

Of course Fleisher took it the wrong away. I would have taken it as a compliment if a renowned award winning sci-fi author like Ellison said my stories were deranged and twisted. That's like gold for publicity that someone like an Ellison thought they were that good.

Like Ken Aldred said I would start with his Jonah Hex work 

Image result for dc showcase jonah hexImage result for dc showcase jonah hex 2

than I would check out his cutting edge Spectre  trade paperback with Jim Aparo.

Image result for Michael Fleisher spectre

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

20 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Here is what Harlan Ellison said about his writing was it is crazy", "certifiable", "twisted", "derange-o.

Of course Fleisher took it the wrong away. I would have taken it as a compliment if a renowned award winning sci-fi author like Ellison said my stories were deranged and twisted. That's like gold for publicity that someone like an Ellison thought they were that good.

than I would check out his cutting edge Spectre  trade paperback with Jim Aparo.

Thanks o believer I have Adventure Comics #440 that I got in a package with other books in a trade. I’ll check it out!  

9 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

You are a kind person.  I just thought H.E. was being a jerk :grin:

I've never read any of the Hex books either, but that Spectre work from Adventure was EXCELLENT !! 

Edited by Senormac

I had this.  Bought it at B. Dalton book sellers when it was new.  So much info.  Every character in every story.  Wow. 

I thought there was going to be a Plastic Man book.......but it never happened.  :frown:

5aac8d22c1e87_fleisherbatman.jpg.942fc94a0330836b8604a00e3fc262a3.jpg

13 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I'd interpret it as inventive , different, and more interesting than most comparatively mundane books being churned out during his time.  A great reason to have a preference for the work of creators like Gerber and Fleisher.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/16/2018 at 11:37 PM, Senormac said:

I had this.  Bought it at B. Dalton book sellers when it was new.  So much info.  Every character in every story.  Wow. 

I thought there was going to be a Plastic Man book.......but it never happened.  :frown:

5aac8d22c1e87_fleisherbatman.jpg.942fc94a0330836b8604a00e3fc262a3.jpg

That's the one. I read that from cover to cover.