• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Contact 12 a pedigree copy? And does it have resto?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Scored this book recently and a couple big things popped out at me:

1. The "P" marking on the C in CONTACT looks very similar to the Pennsylvania Pedigree markings 
  2. It didn't have any resto disclosed, but it looks like it has color touch on the cover and the front and back covers have been trimmed (or is it a misprint/miscut?). Apologies for the double-post, but I started a post on the resto forum but wanted to get this forum's feedback on the "P" on the cover as well. Please see that post for more pics. (Admins: feel free to delete the post in the resto thread if it's not appropriate to mention this twice).  

I'm quite torn because I think it has restoration done to it, but it also looks like it might be a pedigree. I'm considering returning the book (the seller has a 2-week return policy) but I would like some additional opinions on this book, please. Thank you!

28939022_10102824086619688_1458641051_o.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 8.04.04 PM.png

DSC02160.JPG

DSC02161.JPG

DSC02167.JPG

DSC02172.JPG

Edited by shortboxed

There are a fair number of books out there with a -script P on the cover that aren't from the Pennsylvania collection.  I'm not entirely sure how to tell the difference.  From the writeup you link to, it appears that this book, with a July 1946 pub date, would fall a little outside of the 1941-1944 timeframe for most books in the collection. Is there bleed-through on the inside covers corresponding to the areas that you think may have ct?

Edited by Sqeggs

16 minutes ago, shortboxed said:

No bleed-through.

when you tilt the comic to see the retained gloss are there areas that reflect the light differently? A sure fire way to detect color touch that has been painted on the surface and not an ink marker that bleeds through.

44 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

when you tilt the comic to see the retained gloss are there areas that reflect the light differently? A sure fire way to detect color touch that has been painted on the surface and not an ink marker that bleeds through.

Thanks for your reply! It's not paint on the surface, the color touch area isn't glossy. It looks like the top layer of the spot on the cover had been scrapped/pulled off and filled in with marker. I can feel the top layer missing. My main concern is whether or not the covers have been trimmed and not simply a misprint, which I know is not uncommon with some of these small GA publishers. 

Update: I spoke with another member of the comic community who informed me that the collection the seller got this book from had a lot of restored books in it, as he had looked through the collection himself in person and made an offer on it. He says most of the "big books" had resto. This simply confirms my suspicion about resto on the book and I will be seeking a refund from the seller. Thankfully they have a stated 2-week return policy, so I hope the return goes smoothly! 

That spot is likely a tape pull or possibly it had an ugly stain that was amateurishly scraped off and then colored in. Definitely color touched.

Trimming is virtually impossible to tell from a picture on the internet. But my trimming "radar" is going off, some things I note:

- The condition of the rest of the book versus that "pristine" right edge of the cover leads me to be suspicious

- someone willing to scrape off a spot of the cover and then color it in would also be very likely to trim the edge of a cover by an 1/8th".

Does it have trimming? (shrug)

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

That spot is likely a tape pull or possibly it had an ugly stain that was amateurishly scraped off and then colored in. Definitely color touched.

Trimming is virtually impossible to tell from a picture on the internet. But my trimming "radar" is going off, some things I note:

- The condition of the rest of the book versus that "pristine" right edge of the cover leads me to be suspicious

- someone willing to scrape off a spot of the cover and then color it in would also be very likely to trim the edge of a cover by an 1/8th".

Does it have trimming? (shrug)

Your assessment is spot-on with my thoughts about the book. Appreciate the insight! 

18 minutes ago, shortboxed said:

Update: I spoke with another member of the comic community who informed me that the collection the seller got this book from had a lot of restored books in it, as he had looked through the collection himself in person and made an offer on it. He says most of the "big books" had resto. This simply confirms my suspicion about resto on the book and I will be seeking a refund from the seller. Thankfully they have a stated 2-week return policy, so I hope the return goes smoothly! 

So someone is selling a large collection without informing buyers about resto. PLEASE let us know the name of the seller so we can avoid, at least avoid from buying anything from this collection. BTW, don't wait to be 100% certain, I would return it now. 

2 minutes ago, shortboxed said:

Found a pic of a 9.0 copy that sold on HA a few years ago, compared to the copy I got. Definitely looks like the right edge has been trimmed!

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 9.55.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 9.54.54 AM.png

The Heritage copy has a large miswrap. Most copies, including my one, don't have that defect.

Edited by goldust40

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

So someone is selling a large collection without informing buyers about resto. PLEASE let us know the name of the seller so we can avoid, at least avoid from buying anything from this collection. BTW, don't wait to be 100% certain, I would return it now. 

Agreed, I've already filed a formal request for a refund and I hope it goes smoothly with no issues. I don't expect any since his listing clearly states, "Your satisfaction is unconditionally guaranteed. Any item you purchase from us may be returned within 2 weeks for a full refund if you are not satisfied." 

I don't want to throw the seller under the bus, as he may simply have not known the book (or other books he sold) had resto. But I'm basing it on the fact that I chatted with a member of the community who saw the collection in person and his assessment was that a lot of the big books were restored, and clearly so. Now if the seller is knowingly selling restored books without disclosing it, then that's very shady. I did, however, message the seller asking for more details about the book, specifically if there's any resto, and he said there wasn't any. 

The eBay seller is jscomics, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt first. He's got over 65k feedback at 99.7% positive, so he's not new to selling comics by any means. 

Edited by shortboxed
updated info

2 minutes ago, shortboxed said:

Agreed, I've already filed a formal request for a refund and I hope it goes smoothly with no issues. I don't expect any since his listing clearly states, "Your satisfaction is unconditionally guaranteed. Any item you purchase from us may be returned within 2 weeks for a full refund if you are not satisfied." 

I don't want to throw the seller under the bus, as he may simply have not known the book (or other books he sold) had resto. But I'm basing it on the fact that I chatted with a member of the community who saw the collection in person and his assessment was that a lot of the big books were restored, and clearly so. Now if the seller is knowingly selling restored books without disclosing it, then that's very shady. I did, however, message the seller twice asking for more details about the book (specifically if there's any resto), while the auction was live and after I won but before I paid, and did not get a reply. 

The eBay seller is jscomics, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt first. He's got over 65k feedback at 99.7% positive, so he's not new to selling comics by any means. 

Thanks, some sellers honestly don't know about resto, can't detect it. However, with books of this caliber you would hope they  get a more experienced friend to take a look. Good luck with your refund process. You are making the right decision !

3 minutes ago, goldust40 said:

Here we go. I bought this copy many moons ago from Harley Yee.

Contact 12 VFN-.jpg

Damn that is beautiful! Harley always has the goods. Since my Contact 12 dream has been shattered, don't hesitate to reach out if you ever want to sell yours :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, shortboxed said:

Damn that is beautiful! Harley always has the goods. Since my Contact 12 dream has been shattered, don't hesitate to reach out if you ever want to sell yours :bigsmile:

You'll get first dibs should I decide to sell it. (thumbsu