• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Tom Brent and His Flying Nurses
7 7

796 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, tv horror said:

To make up for hi-jacking your thread Steve, here's a group photo of UK priced Western comics on Ebay at the moment.

No worries Maurice, nice to see some of the old Miller reprints.

Nice as they are, this thread is for the first printing UK price variants of the US originals. They look like this (thumbsu

1481638538_WaratSea42(Vol.2)June1961(6d).thumb.jpg.cdeddde473be869b108ef72457e1e108.jpg

So what I am saying in a roundabout way is "never post a reprint in this thread again" you Silly Old Sod :sumo:

:grin:

Image result for peter davison doctor gif  THE YOUNG DOCTORS! Image result for matt smith doctor sitting gif

:)

(actually some of the oldest of course, but Who cares)

1039467760_YoungDoctors1(Vol.1)January1963(9d).thumb.jpg.c4524a674291c72e206d9a0fdde36736.jpg

Landon - Courageous young surgeon who hated pain!

Burke - Dashing young psychiatrist who shed light on darkened minds!

Braddock - Randy old pervert who liked looking at women patient's in the nude!

1461504746_YoungDoctors3(Vol.1)May1963(9d).thumb.jpg.df662e90992ca1c0cca5c8911af7fabb.jpg

"But I tell you, there's nothing wrong with you!"

"Then why am I dying Doctor Landon?"

"I don't kno- oh Daphne......"

"Doctor?"

"You put super glue on the door handle again didn't you"

"I did. Now, check these out!"

1689381774_YoungDoctors4(Vol.1)July1963(9d).thumb.jpg.c06d1cba7add6486ddc9941514b754ba.jpg

A MENTAL PROBLEM...

"OK Barry, tell me what you see now"

"I see the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse slaying women and children with impunity.... Oh, and Doctors"

"Okaaaaay"

1181929860_YoungDoctors5(Vol.1)September1963(9d).thumb.jpg.d1b4e0fa3df47e520706b24ec3564084.jpg

"I can't do it... I can't!"

"You must Doctor Braddock! Doctor Landon can't help you now. The patent's life is in your hands!"

"Is it? Where? I can't see it"

"I don't mean physically in your hands you idiot, figuratively!"

"Well calling me an idiot isn't helping is it! I tell you what, we're all pretty sick of the Burke and Landon show around here. Burke this, Landon this. You think you're the bees knees don't you you two. Well I'm telling you you can stick your job the pair of you! Look at you - one blonde, one dark. Pathetic!"

686240037_YoungDoctors6(Vol.1)November1963(9d).thumb.jpg.c0744380c63200122baa22d65d057e1b.jpg

"Doctor Landon come quick. It's Doctor Burke!"

"I know, I've seen him before"

"No, I mean he's in pain! Look at him!"

"Oh, right. What's up Burkey?"

"I, I've just been faced with the make-believe truth!"

"What?"

"Exactly. It's the truth, but make-believe. I can't handle it"

"Oh get a grip mate. Can't you handle a simple mutually exclusive concept?"

"A what?"

"I don't know. It sounds good though doesn't it. Now, put Mr Todger back in his box and get your act together. Daphne's took all her clothes off again. Although if she thinks I'm falling for the door handle trick again she's got another thing coming. Burke! - todger - away!"

Image result for matt smith doctor sitting gif  THE YOUNG DOCTORS! Image result for peter davison doctor gif

Splendid fellows. All of them. Apart from the fat one maybe.

Afternoon :)

At the start of this thread I noted that both Konga #1 and Gorgo #1 had no cover dates and indicias that just read '1960', making it difficult to place them on the chart. After reviewing the position I've changed Konga to June 1960 as both the GCD and Mikes Comic Newsstand have chosen this as the 'cover date'. Similarly, I've moved Gorgo #1 to September:

123.thumb.PNG.6ec9b4a57fff9f62a5a8695da7cbc6e9.PNG

There are three books currently tied for third - Atomic Mouse #40, Sheriff of Tombstone #13 and Teen-Age Love #18 which all have actual indicia dates of January 1961. All the rest start in either February or March. 

There are other titles eligible for third place, and they form part of the projected 833 books overall figure, but none have appeared so far. 

Here's the top 2 6d priced 'First Editions' again :)

618264384_Konga1(Vol.1)1960(6d).thumb.jpg.aca0aea7d8e49c28e3f2158da487590c.jpg  1568168737_Gorgo1(Vol.1)1960(6d).thumb.jpg.aaf28d7ee1ed3514366c5d47911cbe47.jpg

On 3/17/2019 at 8:58 PM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 3/17/2019 at 7:35 PM, tv horror said:

Where's this bloody Charlton monster I've been summoned to appreciate by @Get Marwood & I?  I have the full set Steve however I got those though Howard Rogosky, however that Monsters 3 is a very rare magazine and commands a high price dollar wise. I know that Dez Skinn sold these through his mail order adverts that featured in Halls of horror and House of Hammer magazines, he sells Monster mag poster mags on Ebay and can be reached there. He's a nice guy and I'm sure he could answer your questions, also there is another Charlton magazine called Werewolves and vampires that was a one shot. 

Cheers Maurice, for all your input. I haven't seen a W&Vs with a pence stamp yet but have captured lots of pictures for the two main titles (you can see the summary sheets in my earlier post). I will drop Dez a line. Have emailed him in the past and he's good on UK comic history. 

I got the Monsters #3 off eBay for £1.59. Bargain:)

Just heard back from Dez - he's stumped too! No one knows who flippin RV are (were)! :pullhair:

On 3/20/2019 at 4:28 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Just heard back from Dez - he's stumped too! No one knows who flippin RV are (were)! :pullhair:

After having sold my entire collection of comics, it's really nice to come and read this thread and to know I did just the right thing before the subpoenas started coming.  I've sought therapy and you will no longer find that "E" in Charlton. I'm cured.  The AF 15 thread just leaves me riddled with guilt but when I come here, I feel like I've been to the sermons in the New Testament. That of course implies I didn't understand them at all. The odds of finding a Charlton book from the sixties here in New Hampshire are no better than those of a sperm. 

11 hours ago, tv horror said:

Steve what about Duncan McAlpines site he has a bit about the UK distribution comics.

https://www.comicpriceguide.co.uk/features.php?id=19

What about it?

Joking. :grin:

Great site but, alas, one which time has been a little unkind to I think. I shared my pence work with Duncan many years back, before I joined here, and there was talk of incorporating it on his site. You can see my input here on the ASM pence copies as it goes:

https://www.comicpriceguide.co.uk/us_comic.php?tc=amazspid

Bless him, he still got the numbers wrong.

The discussions never came to anything as Duncan I believe found other interests, like film making, which took away his focus from comic minutiae. I didn't really push it either though, if I'm honest. Should've kept on at him maybe. That's been the story of my pence work though really - I came to the party too late, when all those who were interested in the subject were moving on.  

In respect of UK price variants, the focus on Duncan's site to me was always more leaning towards what was / was not 'distributed' rather than what had a pence printed price. Consequently the lines between true price variants and US T&P stamped copies became blurred. Years ago, 'non-distributed' was a thing. Before the internet, it was really hard to get hold of books which were not shipped to the UK, as either pence or cents copies. So 'ND' meant something. Nowadays, all and any book is available online so 'ND' no longer has the relevance it once did. 

The UK CBPG site also has many errors and omissions. It would have been cool to work through with Duncan and update them, but as I say, I think I arrived on the scene too late. Duncan was steeped in comic history for me, with his site and price guides. I think he did some amazing work and earned his place in the UK collectors esteem. But one guy can't do everything, and I'd have loved to be able to help out.

I can't remember who it is, but I think one board member here has a line in there signature that says something like "the problem with my hobby is that it doesn't exist anymore". Something like that. It's a little how I feel really - the world has moved on, and the comic world I love is slowly dying out. 

Edited by Get Marwood & I

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What about it?

Joking. :grin:

Great site but, alas, one which time has been a little unkind to I think. I shared my pence work with Duncan many years back, before I joined here, and there was talk of incorporating it on his site. You can see my input here on the ASM pence copies as it goes:

https://www.comicpriceguide.co.uk/us_comic.php?tc=amazspid

Bless him, he still got the numbers wrong.

The discussions never came to anything as Duncan I believe found other interests, like film making, which took away his focus from comic minutiae. I didn't really push it either though, if I'm honest. Should've kept on at him maybe. That's been the story of my pence work though really - I came to the party too late, when all those who were interested in the subject were moving on.  

In respect of UK price variants, the focus on Duncan's site to me was always more leaning towards what was / was not 'distributed' rather than what had a pence printed price. Consequently the lines between true price variants and US T&P stamped copies became blurred. Years ago, 'non-distributed' was a thing. Before the internet, it was really hard to get hold of books which were not shipped to the UK, as either pence or cents copies. So 'ND' meant something. Nowadays, all and any book is available online so 'ND' no longer has the relevance it once did. 

The UK CBPG site also has many errors and omissions. It would have been cool to work through with Duncan and update them, but as I say, I think I arrived on the scene too late. Duncan was steeped in comic history for me, with his site and price guides. I think he did some amazing work and earned his place in the UK collectors esteem. But one guy can't do everything, and I'd have loved to be able to help out.

I can't remember who it is, but I think one board member here has a line in there signature that says something like "the problem with my hobby is that it doesn't exist anymore". Something like that. It's a little how I feel really - the world has moved on, and the comic world I love is slowly dying out. 

Steve that was a very thoughtful and fascinating post, thanks.:foryou: It even brought a tear to my eye then again that might have been my spoon as I forgot to take it out as I drank my tea.:bigsmile:(thumbsu  

BRENT!

264824605_DoctorTomBrentYoungIntern4(Vol.1)August1963(9d).thumb.jpg.be856d7d9dfb68fc18ea579fdecd7a4a.jpg

"A FRIEND IN NEED"! THAT'S WHAT
DOCTOR TOM BRENT WAS TO 
YOUNG BOB MARTIN... BUT COULD
HE PREVENT THE INTERN FROM
CERTAIN DISASTER?

"STOP! YOU'LL KILL THAT WOMAN!"

"Why Bob? It's only a can of coke?"

"Oh, is it? Sorry. Carry on"

BRENT!

The Flying Nurses are away

On 3/19/2019 at 11:36 PM, FoggyNelson said:

This Dr Brent thread is becoming must read ‼️👏👏🎉 this is the sleeper gem thread that not many know about‼️‼️🆒‼️‼️🆒🎂🎂👏

It improved when tvhorror took control, otherwise, Meh! lol

Spoiler

I don't mean that Steve: You're the best !

Edited by Gnasher

8 hours ago, tv horror said:

We all know where Bob ended up with his medical mistakes.:bigsmile:

download.jpg

Oh that's RUFF!:roflmao:

Not Arf! 

21 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It improved when tvhorror too control, otherwise, Meh! lol

Reveal hidden contents

I don't mean that Steve: You're the best !

No more worm tablets for you Gnasher....

14 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not Arf! 

No more worm tablets for you Gnasher....

It seems to me that if you're looking for historical perspective in the evolution of comic books ( not books) that the historical group is what you really need. This place is about money and little else. Candidly, I love what you do but it's really in the wind which is blowing over investment potential.  You are all wonderfully funny. We really need that. 

Edited by Glassman10