• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Tom Brent and His Flying Nurses
7 7

796 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2019 at 12:40 AM, Duffman_Comics said:

Didn't the former Soviet Union get the memo that submarines are supposed to "Run silent, Run deep"?

"R-R-R-R KLANK KLUNK RUMBLE"

Now THERE's your problem . . .

hm

Thanks for chipping in Duff. Like a graveyard in here lately.

This is a lovely cover isn't it:

560356199_SubmarineAttack41(Vol.2)September1963(9d).thumb.jpg.dd6b774ac2d9447bc6fef27acf85c429.jpg

I'm not going to say anything silly about it :cloud9:

OK.

I will.

A two man atomic submarine. I'll buy it. Those guys will be very busy, what with the reactor, armaments and all. Very busy.

Seems to be a leaky arrangement too. I mean they're wearing wet suits and have SCUBA gear. Must be one of those short range nuclear submarines.

Very expensive, but must be effective.

I do like the submariners' threat detection ability. A giant floodlight raking the harbour's surface, illuminating the "submarine"  and our sailors have a restrained and responsible reaction:

"Let's go! We've got trouble coming!"

I also applaud the author's homework in correctly identifying Murmansk as a major Soviet military port, dating to WWII, and useful as it is ice-free all year round. Kudos.

Oh, and that "graveyard" quip? No wonder - it took you 16 hours to respond to me :baiting:

2 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

OK.

I will.

:)

A two man atomic submarine. I'll buy it.

Great! That'll be 9d please :)

Oh, and that "graveyard" quip? No wonder - it took you 16 hours to respond to me :baiting:

:tonofbricks:

Evening all :)

When I started this thread last year, 5 of the known 75 'pence window' titles had no pence copies:

no.PNG.2f38be742c6334d4b7953e199244f24f.png.d3769c81a5e4f9750335d2cc1fce97c8.png

Fast forward 14 months - no change. 

Until now! Here's Teen-Age Hotrodders #2, priced at a bargain LM 9d - yay! :headbang:

295870745_Teen-AgeHotrodders2(Vol.1)June1963(9d).thumb.jpg.0fc58537cd433cf87d7873ea67e0d7dc.jpg

Aint she lovely. A real big deal for me, finding this book after 14 months on the Charlie's Missing List. There might be another 4 pence copies out there - hope so :wishluck:

453.thumb.PNG.0f1cf31b87963899ea74071014d9b55b.PNG

A good day in Penceville :)

Edited by Get Marwood & I
My Rod is Hot :-)

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

We were only saying the other week how things were thin on the ground re Charlton pence copies, now there's hope. Nice catch Steve (thumbsu

Cheers Bob :)

I snaffled another Black Fury at The London Comic Con too:

20190526_134211.thumb.jpg.124096496a9da7cf26b0b163dfb6e289.jpg

That was fairly unexpected, given how few comics there are at the London Comic Con 9_9

Here's the old nag in all her equine glory :)

A good find, as this is a new one and it brings us up to 454 confirmed comics of the possible 833. 

1156198481_BlackFury34(Vol.1)January1962(6d).thumb.jpg.057877044aaa82357b44f77077139831.jpg

I'm up to 393 comics myself now, with another 2 on the way. 5 more to go to a round 400. And even then I won't be half way. I've been doing this for over a year now and still find it fascinating and fun. It's hard to imagine where and when the other 438 are going to turn up. All good fun though :headbang:

On 5/21/2019 at 7:51 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

hm

Thanks for chipping in Duff. Like a graveyard in here lately.

This is a lovely cover isn't it:

560356199_SubmarineAttack41(Vol.2)September1963(9d).thumb.jpg.dd6b774ac2d9447bc6fef27acf85c429.jpg

I'm not going to say anything silly about it :cloud9:

Then I will - a midget submarine... with headlights??

4 minutes ago, AJD said:

Then I will - a midget submarine... with headlights??

Didn't all the USN 71134 models have them?

well you get your 9pd worth on this one. Somehow the Germans seem to have placed an enormous building  over in England and lit it up! The Channel is rather narrow at this point but I'd be anxious to see how they did that, particularly with  all those battle ships and destroyers bent on keeping them from doing it.  The bullet noise is almost as worrysome.  There must be two machine guns. One goes "Ziip!" and the other, a much cleaner "ZIP!"  Keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

well you get your 9pd worth on this one. Somehow the Germans seem to have placed an enormous building  over in England and lit it up! The Channel is rather narrow at this point but I'd be anxious to see how they did that, particularly with  all those battle ships and destroyers bent on keeping them from doing it.  The bullet noise is almost as worrysome.  There must be two machine guns. One goes "Ziip!" and the other, a much cleaner "ZIP!"  Keep up the good work!

You forgot "ZING!", "PING!", "BEEOOOW!" and "SPLAT!" Glass. 

"SPLAT!" is a funny one isn't it. Not your common or garden gun fire type noise at all. More of a 'wet flannel slapping' type sound really.

On a more serious note, and accepting the limitations of the fictional cover scene, can you imagine what it must have been like for those boys, back in the day? We are truly lucky to live in the relative peace and comfort of modern times aren't we. 

Makes you think...

sadly, more americans had been killed by the end of April from gun violence than the number killed on D Day. Some 2,501 Americans gave their lives that day, according to historic estimates. Another 1,913 soldiers from other Allied countries also died, bringing the total death toll from the immediate invasion to 4,414. It took until late April before the number of people killed by guns in the United States in 2019 topped that number, according to data collected by the Gun Violence Archive.

Indeed a somber note on sacrifice that day and in that war, I  absolutely do not dispute that. This, from the Washington Post puts it in a strange comparison. 

5 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

It is easy to find flaws on most war comic but they still fun😃