• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Tom Brent and His Flying Nurses
7 7

796 posts in this topic

well, I think it's interesting that "Bondage Covers" have their own fans.  I think that's rather strange and strangely kinky. . But then, what do I know?

I liked radio active spiders and crippled doctors with hot nurses.

Edited by Glassman10

12 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I liked radio active spiders and crippled doctors with hot nurses.

You say it like it's a bad thing Glass :)

hm

The Charlton Pence Files have swelled to a mighty 458 confirmed issues today, courtesy of Space War #20 :headbang:

903632320_SpaceWar20(Vol.1)January1963(9d).thumb.jpg.ac4d4d43ef1b1423e5dd633bad801098.jpg

Not a book that you see often as a 9d, and one which smashed me through the 400 owned pence copies barrier. Yay!

It's quite a good read in its way, confirming that Charlton Comics do indeed 'give you more!' More of what exactly is clearly open to debate. 

Basically, 'Mr Smith' is trying it on and Commissioner Ree is having none of it, believing him to be inhuman:

ree2.thumb.jpg.cfa6c4e58abaef678542aaaabd1cda9e.jpg

So Smithy gets a cob on and threatens destruction as you tend to do when impersonating a human with no discernible eyes and a dodgy black mouth. His mate doesn't look much better, with only the side parting to tell them apart.

ree.jpg.1a36d139dc99df9bb852575fa6ef7c65.jpg

Anyway, a war ensues, Smithy gets turned over and is forced to revert to his hidden fungoid status. "To be a man is a tiresome thing!" is the parting shot. 

Still, when you offer the hand of friendship while still wearing washing up gloves what do you expect? 

It never works in my experience.

Until next time....

Afternoon Charlies :)

If you could bring yourself to wade back through 26 pages of Marwoodian dross you'd find Valerie and Mark Krueger swapping hair, shirt and paint colours all in the blink of a page count while Joe sits patiently outside in his wood panelled jalopy.

26 pages later and Keith and Annette are up to the same shenanigans:

1781152322_BridesinLove37(Vol.1)August1963(9d).thumb.jpg.0e38580e3329fe101f8b18aed4818d3f.jpg

Regular readers of my threads, or as I like to call them, Barry, will note that Brides in Love #37 has appeared before in these hallowed pages. But not this particular copy, which came today courtesy of Postman Pat and his black and white ferret (the cat was on holiday).

It's an upgrade in as much as it doesn't fall apart when you touch it as many Charltons do. Not down to bad workmanship mind - these books are nothing if not sturdy. No, more likely that they suffer from falling into the hands of the uncaring. But now she's mine.

Anyway, back to Keith and Annette who, incidentally, was always good at catching fish. Keith was no such catch of the day alas, and a bit of a rotter as it turns out but I digress. 

On the cover, Keith has black hair, Annette blonde. Red dress on Annette - doesn't she look great in it. And out of it, apparently. Grey trousers for Keith and no sign anywhere of Orville (be honest, do you know any other Keith's, apart from Penelope?)

Turn the pages and what do we find:

keith.thumb.jpg.9f67c6cfe1d4f37f2f14824d4224fab4.jpg

Typical. The red dress is now Eva Green, Keith's trousers bright blue. Keith hair brown and a funny sort of orange thing adorns the Annette globe. Can't these two make up their bloody minds?

No wonder Daphne is pretending not to notice them while dancing the Charlton, sorry, Charleston in her own different colour dress...

1733411774_keith(2).jpg.ab5d8e1a9936b5948d8603bf98cbb0e2.jpg

"I don't see them. They're not there"

.....and Margaret is one over the eighteen:

423764727_keith(3).jpg.70d73efd0a86de0c890ddb001f5a27c9.jpg

"Honestshly, they're perls Daphne. Feel da kwality, hic"

What a shower of sixties swankiness. No wonder Annette has a face like a US boardie in a pence thread:

27765285_keith(4).jpg.5e161ce434e3a66d938e7dc75c8866ac.jpg

See ya :)

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Cupid, pull back your bow. And takes the b****** eye out.

"I had everything, Keith Williams for a husband, *blah blah*  balls  *blah blah* . . .

One does wonder if husband Keith was subject to some sort of "Crying Game" surprise. Maybe it wasn't so much a surprise as a bonus (for Keith). It also shines a different light on Keith's "Show them how we did the twist on our honeymoon".

Gawd the Charlton's in this period are gloriously awful.

8 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

"I had everything, Keith Williams for a husband, *blah blah*  balls  *blah blah* . . .

One does wonder if husband Keith was subject to some sort of "Crying Game" surprise. Maybe it wasn't so much a surprise as a bonus (for Keith). It also shines a different light on Keith's "Show them how we did the twist on our honeymoon".

Gawd the Charlton's in this period are gloriously awful.

Ain't they just.

And I'll bet Keith gave Margaret the pearl necklace too. 

1 minute ago, FoggyNelson said:

Charlton romance panels above Are so we’ll drawn👍👍the ladies look very lovely❤️❤️🥴

I think so too Fog. Compared to some of today's modern comics they're absolute masterpieces. I like art with realism, always have. And Dick Giordano was great at that (although the jury's out on whether BIL #37 contain his pencils or only inks from what I can gather). 

Talking of Dick, there aren't that many single issue pence Charlton's, but here's one of them, The Green Planet Special Edition, cover pencilled by Mr G himself:

2077595377_TheGreenPlanetnnSpecialEdition1962.thumb.jpg.e0b42f330d34b1ee9abc486533499c09.jpg

I know there's a massive bird on the attack and everything but those monkeys look like they're putting the stunned look on to me hm

"Keep doing the eye thing Barry, they think we're startled"  dave.PNG.cb4f5da71b7de0cf1367e1cf121a8b6c.PNG

"Shhh! Quiet or you'll give the game away Dave! Just a few more innocent inches...." barry.PNG.048722b6361ec18924077f94062e3386.PNG

After careful inspection of the (Ahem) dress, I have come to the conclusion that the young lady is in actuality ... a mermaid.  They never show her shoes as if she ever had them!

Is it the case that these comics (excuse me, books)  never had issue numbers on the covers so that innocent people would not be forewarned about which ones were inexcusably poorly thought out? Or, was that really the case with all of them?

I got a call from a neighbor today about  all these old western comics she had in the attic. This is one of those old New England homes  built on a lake only occupied in the summer by families desperately trying to keep their offspring from copulating in the 40's and '50's . There are a number of storylines that would achive this so, I'll report back. It's remarkably easy to confuse westerns with romance comics.  I need say no more I'm sure.  I doubt any will be Pence Variants sadly. 

Edited by Glassman10
clarity!

On 6/13/2019 at 11:21 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I think so too Fog. Compared to some of today's modern comics they're absolute masterpieces. I like art with realism, always have. And Dick Giordano was great at that (although the jury's out on whether BIL #37 contain his pencils or only inks from what I can gather). 

That is so cool🆒🆒🆒 the way you avatar keep changing 🆒🆒🆒 nobody has one like ? 

You are genius mAr-Wood👏👏‼️👍

9 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

That is so cool🆒🆒🆒 the way you avatar keep changing 🆒🆒🆒 nobody has one like ? 

You are genius mAr-Wood👏👏‼️👍

Thanks. I like to make full use of the available technology Fog :)

35 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Thanks. I like to make full use of the available technology Fog :)

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d0895d27669756f51

Morning :)

Big ant invasion on Mars here:

114566509_MysteriesofUnexploredWorlds35(Vol.1)April1963(9d).thumb.jpg.ff729062dd3e15b4fcc772f46d3355b0.jpg

By 'big ants' I mean big in size. Not a big invasion of ants. I don't think we'd need George and Andrew to fight small ants on Mars, even if there were a lot of them. They'd just tread on them. Amazing to think they would go on to perform on Top of The Pops really isn't it. Who saw that coming?

Anyway, the ants had a go previously here, with the ANTagonizing boy (gold star for that one I think)...

98542191_MysteriesofUnexploredWorlds29(Vol.1)April1962(6d).thumb.jpg.bb36a9ac9cd0692d151499a56fe7193b.jpg

"Looks tasty Barry, doesn't it. What do you think, one leg each?"

"Seems fair to me Dave. This'll be my first blonde actually. Wonder what it'll taste like?"

"I had a ginger the other week. I wasn't keen on the texture though - found it a bit crunchy"

"Ewww. Anyway, ladies first"

"Anyone ever tell you you're a funny guy Barry?"

"Heh, heh, I try not to fly in the face of popular opinion Dave"

"Well they were lying"

"Just eat your f****** leg alright"

"Oooh, touchy"

...but it didn't quite work out. Too much arguing. 

So they came back with guns ants.PNG.8d90d57571a896b79618c0793d50be68.PNG

Do they succeed this time?

I dunno, I haven't read it yet.

See you next time :)

13 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

Well some inquiring minds want to know if "The Green Planet" tells the origin story of environmentalists?

No, it doesn't. It's about a massive dinosaur bird thing and some google-eyed monkeys. 

18 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

this continues to be the best  thread in the board.....

Agree🤔‼️‼️🆒👏👏👏🥇🥇Very excellent thread🥇🥇

Edited by FoggyNelson