• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Tom Brent and His Flying Nurses
7 7

796 posts in this topic

Interesting video here.

Amongst other things it reminds us that Charlton owned their own printing presses and that they were originally used to print cereal boxes before being adapted for comics. That always makes me smile for some reason. And that Charlton were the last company to keep the romance comic flag flying (and more often than not by blowing up an interior panel shot for the covers). Good for them. The world needs more romance. Or needed, I should say. 

Lots of references to Ditko and his approach too which are interesting to hear. 

Shame the audience seems to be just three men and a dog, if the front rows are anything to go by. I'd have liked to be there, to ask if anyone knew anything about how L Miller came to have the pence copies of this thread printed.

Nice also to just see some old guys reminiscing about their time. 

14 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Interesting video here.

Amongst other things it reminds us that Charlton owned their own printing presses and that they were originally used to print cereal boxes before being adapted for comics. That always makes me smile for some reason. And that Charlton were the last company to keep the romance comic flag flying (and more often than not by blowing up an interior panel shot for the covers). Good for them. The world needs more romance. Or needed, I should say. 

Lots of references to Ditko and his approach too which are interesting to hear. 

Shame the audience seems to be just three men and a dog, if the front rows are anything to go by. I'd have liked to be there, to ask if anyone knew anything about how L Miller came to have the pence copies of this thread printed.

Nice also to just see some old guys reminiscing about their time. 

I watched this the other week, Some of the anecdotes were regarding the work of some of Charlton's writers and artists at other comic publishers, which shouild get a mention, just in case some people aren't into Charlton. It is worth a watch. (thumbsu

I wish they's get their finger out and release the documentary.

Keith Larson 2nd from the right looks in the latest vlog for the movie to have morphed in to Chris Elliot from Everybody Loves Raymond.....

cf896528e9e31e7edefa883683162919.jpg    af44a23e861bd599736439e9ecbb03fa.jpg

59 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I wish they's get their finger out and release the documentary.

Yeah, I'd love to see it. I've bookmarked the website, so we'll see :wishluck:

25 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

So, a question for Steve:

Would pence variants have wound up in Canada?

Only if someone took them there Pete :) 

In respect of US printed UK priced variants, I'm not aware of any formal distribution of them to Canada, if that's what you mean, for any of the seven known publishers. Canada had their own price variants made for some publishers of course for a time. No need for UK priced copies too which would likely have confused the natives just as much as they appear to have bamboozled many in the USA down the years.  

@porcupine48 Jim, did you ever see any pence copies land in droves over there? 

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Only if someone took them there Pete :) 

In respect of US printed UK priced variants, I'm not aware of any formal distribution of them to Canada, if that's what you mean, for any of the seven known publishers. Canada had their own price variants made for some publishers of course for a time. No need for UK priced copies too which would likely have confused the natives just as much as they appear to have bamboozled many in the USA down the years.  

@porcupine48 Jim, did you ever see any pence copies land in droves over there? 

Quite a few,especially SA.A lot of King books,like Phantom.I think it's because so many of us Canadians still have a lot of family there,lots of visits,mail sent back and forth.I'm first Canadian born here on my fathers side,second generation on mums for example.Everyone growing up in my Nans neighbourhood was Irish or Scottish newbies pretty much.Could just be Ottawa though,big Irish/Scots/Brit town.

well, it's an interesting potential Steve ( and Jim) if one wants a different location to track down such peculiar issues. I would think that the cool Canadian air might yield up some real "Calgary Classics" with off white to off color pages. Think of the income possibilities. Just think... OK Stop now. 

20 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Think of the income possibilities. Just think...

I pushed the Charlton pence numbers through some sophisticated value assessment algorithms and they delivered the result I more or less expected Pete:

"Pence Charltons are worth f:censored: all".

Monetarily, of course...

22 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

well, it's an interesting potential Steve ( and Jim) if one wants a different location to track down such peculiar issues. I would think that the cool Canadian air might yield up some real "Calgary Classics" with off white to off color pages. Think of the income possibilities. Just think... OK Stop now. 

I prefer to seek out the Crisp Quebec Edition Heritage French Canadian editions!I guess because being the capital,a very government town-all sorts of odd things show up comic wise.I find bronze age German language,Italian ,a fair amount of Spanish copies while thrifting as well.

2019226621_LoveDiary14(Vol.1)February1961(6d).thumb.jpg.ca3705a8dc00293c40eecbe2f2a37f2a.jpg

Ahhhh. Look at that. Love Diary. What a nice comic. Nothing brash. No explosions or fighting. Just four sweet, gentle stories of love. A different time, a more innocent age.

Let's see what we've got:

"Going Steady" - a sweet tale of two young kids starting out together, and learning how to slow down and 'keep things going'

"Wild, Wonderful Dream" - the story of one girls rather moist dream of her first night out with that 'dangerous' one from high school

"Happy Ending" - the story of one young lad discovering what that post massage 'additional service' he'd been hearing about actually comprised

"Ring of Fear" - the story of one girls apprehension at the thought of her man 'pulling into Paddington' as opposed to Charing Cross, the station she was most accustomed to

Yes. Lovely, sweet comics :cloud9:

See ya.

11 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Happy Humbug to Steve, Get Marwood & I, Doctor Tom Brent, the Flying Nurses and all purveyors of Charlton inspired innuendo & double entendre. :tink: 

:D

Evening all :)

I occasionally mention my Charlton 15 cent variant pursuits in this thread even though it's a pence one. I've hived them off in my research files now and they have their own whizzy new spreadsheet which looks like this:

1126643180_ch15cv10v12.thumb.PNG.87fb472fafbfe4718eacdd134554c16d.PNG

To recap, Charlton 15cvs exist for two months - March and April 1962 with eight found for March and two for April - ten confirmed in total of a maximum of 41 issues present for those two months (that was a mouthful :grin:).

Anyway, I noticed when plotting the books that all the regular priced March 1962 issues are priced at 10 cents. For April, 13 of the 21 available issues have a regular price increase to 12c. The other 8 stay at 10c. The two April 15cvs that I have found are for 10c regular priced issues. So I wondered if this would mean that only 10c regular priced books would yield a 15c variant?

Only time will tell of course, but an interesting possibility I thought. And, clearly, 15c was considered too high as the books settled on a 12c regular price. Odd to increase the prices in April to 12c though at the same time as a 15c pricing experiment was in train?*

*assuming it was one of course...