• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Tom Brent and His Flying Nurses
7 7

796 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Agree🤔‼️‼️🆒👏👏👏🥇🥇Very excellent thread🥇🥇

9 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

this continues to be the best  thread in the board.....

Men of rare good taste. I salute you :)

55 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Tea of course, Sausage, tomatoes, ham, mushrooms, (or potatoes) some tasty looking bread and a beer !! 

you English guys know how to have breakfast !!!

(what is that wrapped up in the middle of the plate Steve??)

Beer?

Yes, it is more than a breakfast drink, but I think the bevvie pictured (with a straw - hope it's not plastic) is orange juice,

Strange colour, yes, but not unusual for the Mother Country.

Oh, and the middle "wrapping" I believe are two poached eggs. This is a a full English Breakfast.

Edited by Duffman_Comics
Additional nutritional data

3 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Yumm-o

meal looks tasty !! i hope you find a comic you are looking for at the comic fair !!

one like this but a Pence variant !!

Image result for tom brent comic 1

Still yet to see that one in a pence jacket Craig. A 9d copy would be just what the Doctor ordered, ha, ha, ha. 

246219260_DogLikeSparky.gif.ab2dc7b910587045eb97af5608be7144.gif

3 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Tea of course, Sausage, tomatoes, ham, mushrooms, (or potatoes) some tasty looking bread and a beer !! 

you English guys know how to have breakfast !!!

(what is that wrapped up in the middle of the plate Steve??)

2 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Beer?

Yes, it is more than a breakfast drink, but I think the bevvie pictured (with a straw - hope it's not plastic) is orange juice,

Strange colour, yes, but not unusual for the Mother Country.

Oh, and the middle "wrapping" I believe are two poached eggs. This is a a full English Breakfast.

A FEB it was Duff. And my God it was tasty. Lovely day, sat outside and had two poached eggs, sausage, bacon, sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes and two rounds of toast. The mystery drink was a banana and orange smoothie and the tea (Craig) was a cappuccino in disguise.  Just what you need before 3 hours of box diving. And talking of boxes, a big thank you to Costa Coffee on Tottenham Court Road for affording me the opportunity to empty mine before hand. Never box dive with a full arse, as the old saying goes.

The Fair was Good (see what I did there?), if a bit sparse. But I managed to get a handful of books including this cracker - Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds #23, which may yet turn out to be the first pence copy in the run:

1253913717_MysteriesofUnexploredWorlds23(Vol.1)March1961(6d).thumb.jpg.54d6aafa18033b602e9c72ab045d0c09.jpg

I do like the early circular LM 6d prices. And I'll let you decide in which other thread I'm going to post it next...

I also managed an 'upgrade' of the hitherto ridiculously conspicuous Konga #2. Some would question it's upgrade status given the holes - again, I'll let you decide :)

1080495484_Konga2(Vol.1)August1961(6d).thumb.jpg.3c0ceab2e0a6375d8188676aeb9e3baa.jpg   42199991_Konga2(Vol.1)August1961(6d).thumb.jpg.dbe5e090e15205546f9c8aad68200fa9.jpg

Old Konga                                                                                  New Konga

3 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

Start a whole new comic,  Statin Man. Ridding the world of unwanted cholesterol one artery at a time!

He could be Tom Brent, Young Intern by day, and Statin-Man by night. 

"Holey deep vein thrombosis! It's my nemesis Fat E. Liver!:bigsmile:

Nice teeth. Now that the focus is shifting away from the micro opthamologists and surly lens stores to dental hygene , lets move in on the plastic surgeons, shall we? Could Kongo, with a bit of work look like Bette Midler or is that simply too American for this high class encounter?

Do be warned, I've exposed you all to the legions of the great unwashed in those AF15 threads  with a reference to GiantsAnts with guns.  I can't seem to shake hpw much that might help our current condition. . My attorney will be in touch with cash offers. . Otherwise, I may get to see those old western comics tonight. I do hope so. The value alone could buy me a litre of petrol. The only defense? Bigger Ants with bigger guns!! ( Or is that Defence)?

Edited by Glassman10
always, clarity, new thought, alcohol

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

He could be Tom Brent, Young Intern by day, and Statin-Man by night. 

"Holey deep vein thrombosis! It's my nemesis Fat E. Liver!:bigsmile:

Go with a Werewolf theme,  Dr Tom  Brent  young intern by day, Kongo by Night.  Spinoffs, think spinoffs! There's money in the banana stand...

Edited by Glassman10

Handsome f:censored:er isn't he :)

konga.PNG.70d8b565d2dde155faacdd660f8cebc4.PNG

I just wish this  (Cra*) was available over here. I would at least get five dollars worth. ( Would that take a trailer?)

So I found a new censorship  parameter. Life is exciting!

Edited by Glassman10

A FEB it was Duff. And my God it was tasty. Lovely day, sat outside and had two poached eggs, sausage, bacon, sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes and two rounds of toast. The mystery drink was a banana and orange smoothie and the tea (Craig) was a cappuccino in disguise.  Just what you need before 3 hours of box diving. And talking of boxes, a big thank you to Costa Coffee on Tottenham Court Road for affording me the opportunity to empty mine before hand. Never box dive with a full arse, as the old saying goes.

The Fair was Good (see what I did there?), if a bit sparse. But I managed to get a handful of books including this cracker - Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds #23, which may yet turn out to be the first pence copy in the run:

1253913717_MysteriesofUnexploredWorlds23(Vol.1)March1961(6d).thumb.jpg.54d6aafa18033b602e9c72ab045d0c09.jpg

I do like the early circular LM 6d prices. And I'll let you decide in which other thread I'm going to post it next...

I also managed an 'upgrade' of the hitherto ridiculously conspicuous Konga #2. Some would question it's upgrade status given the holes - again, I'll let you decide :)

1080495484_Konga2(Vol.1)August1961(6d).thumb.jpg.3c0ceab2e0a6375d8188676aeb9e3baa.jpg   42199991_Konga2(Vol.1)August1961(6d).thumb.jpg.dbe5e090e15205546f9c8aad68200fa9.jpg

Old Konga                                                                                  New Konga

And where does the #23 come from.  (Tooth count?)

On 11/17/2018 at 3:16 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Now, don't be put off by the 6p sticker on this comic (it's that red one again - see earlier thread posts) - it's definitely a printed pence copy. I know, I held it up to the light and everything. And anyway, you'd see the cents price if it was a cents copy. The sticker isn't big enough to cover it. Really.

Look, it's a pence copy alright! :mad:

Meanwhile, there's nothing like that feeling you get when you get home after a long hard tour of duty to find your Dad trying to slip your missus one. She'll have to choose of course - Ginger Steve or the Silver Fox. Although Steve's Mum might have a take on proceedings. Can 'punishment for Wendy' be far off?* Well what do you expect from a girl who wears biscuits for earrings hm

700247226_Teen-AgeLove29(Vol.2)December1962(9d).thumb.jpg.f3e46d68c50d302f4ba14ac8c3a1c49d.jpg

*If you understand that reference you're depraved.

Keep it up! :)

Here's a blast from the past :)

To remove any doubt, here's a stickerless copy, showing the printed 9d cover price in all it's printed 9d glory:

1812077052_Teen-AgeLove29(Vol.2)NoSticker.thumb.jpg.546d4d254fbf48b0b00c18415d5de8fc.jpg

This copy would be sitting in my collection now if I hadn't got distracted 30 seconds before the bidding ended.

"Think once. Think twice. Think; Don't get distracted 30 seconds before the bidding ends"

Spoiler

:censored: :frustrated:

...and talking of eBore, I received today what I thought was a rather attractive looking upgrade of Unusual Tales #35:

534207599_UnusualTales35(Vol.1)September1962(9d).thumb.jpg.adf93759ff05dd6e79d5625663df68ef.jpg

Well, I say attractive but the seller neglected to point out that the cover was detached. Silly seller. Compounded the misery by posting the comic in a standard manilla envelope. Double silly seller!

Anyroad (Fred Elliot), it managed to stay in surprisingly uncreased shape hence the deceptively pretty scan above.

Fan (singular) of this thread will know that I occasionally like to compare the cover image to the version inside. There's always a version inside you see. On this occasion, Bronson Leeds, our rather dapper looking cover star inexplicably dresses up as a clown inside:

534207599_UnusualTales35(Vol.1)September1962(9d).thumb.jpg.adf93759ff05dd6e79d5625663df68ef.jpg hr.thumb.jpg.2b6d43c211980d56bb841aed12250681.jpg

Big yellow hat? Check

Massive tunic buttons? Check

Red and white spotted trousers (that's pants to for all our US readers)? Check 

Yellow turned up genie shoes? Check

Stupid glasses? Check

Oil? Check

Paid by? Check

Give me a word that rhymes with deck? Check

You get the picture.

As to the story, it turns out that Bronson has got the hump with his wife Vera and scarpers off down a tunnel where he meets a monster he read about in a book. They elope, leaving Vera to ponder where her Mr Leeds went. Dawes the Butler see's his chance (off camera) and they go at it for hours. At least that's what happens in my mind.

Now the monster is unnamed throughout. Let's call him Dave. He looks like a Dave. I have to say, Vera is no oil painting so I can understand Bronson seizing his one chance of happiness with Dave the troll thing. After all, who wouldn't want to date someone who could go from mauve to brown in the blink of a googly eye?

hr3.jpg.e9802e8ec404f643e47cbda2b4eac021.jpg 1511347863_hr(2).jpg.1ab3c3d53ed808002170a547996fea72.jpg

Fast forward a few short months and Dave the troll has tired of Bronson who, sensing the game is up, goes back and reclaims Vera from Dawes grubby clutches. He hits him with some crutches, puts on a Musical Youth CD and passes some dutchies.

Troll Dave takes up acting, and unsuccessfully auditions for the part of Travis Bickle:

"Are you attempting conversation with me?" hr3.jpg.e9802e8ec404f643e47cbda2b4eac021.jpg

"Are you attempting conversation with me?" hr3.jpg.e9802e8ec404f643e47cbda2b4eac021.jpg

"Well I do apologise, but I do not see anyone else with whom you coul-" 1511347863_hr(2).jpg.1ab3c3d53ed808002170a547996fea72.jpg

CUT! :mad: (the director, off scene)

"Cut?" hr3.jpg.e9802e8ec404f643e47cbda2b4eac021.jpg

You keep changing f:censored:colour mate!

"Oh. That's really quite upsetting to me" 1511347863_hr(2).jpg.1ab3c3d53ed808002170a547996fea72.jpg

CUT!

Until next time :)

those torches look suspiciously like upside down giant shrimp  that have been fed flamingo food.  It further appears that Dave did not get enough of that stuff to maintain a ruddy english complexion. SAD! as our political leadership might say.  Is there a charlton book called "The tanning bed"

Otherwise, it's the best thing I've seen today. I wonder how many of these classics I could buy with the proceeds from the AF15?

SAD! Is that all there is to this?

1 minute ago, Glassman10 said:

those torches look suspiciously like upside down giant shrimp  that have been fed flamingo food.  It further appears that Dave did not get enough of that stuff to maintain a ruddy english complexion. SAD! as our political leadership might say.  Is there a charlton book called "The tanning bed"

Otherwise, it's the best thing I've seen today. I wonder how many of these classics I could buy with the proceeds from the AF15?

SAD! Is that all there is to this?

Brent worries about Seasonal Affective Disorder and it's impact on the state of the nation Glass, yes. brent.jpg.d9e57536e18951609bffca7d010a0ce6.jpg

He says the cure is three minutes getting battered about the ring with Konga konga.PNG.36abf9d5a6502886ada36704ab79f03f.PNG

And he's not talking pugilism :eek: