• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Tom Brent and His Flying Nurses
7 7

796 posts in this topic

Have to say I love this thread.  The interesting thing about Charlton's is that they vary so much  within the print run, that I have trouble disposing with duplicates, as each book is unique in color and plate alignment.

I'm jealous of several of the parachute covers you have here.   I too would relish a good collection of Fightin' Nurses..... 

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

Have to say I love this thread.  The interesting thing about Charlton's is that they vary so much  within the print run, that I have trouble disposing with duplicates, as each book is unique in color and plate alignment.

I'm jealous of several of the parachute covers you have here.   I too would relish a good collection of Fightin' Nurses..... 

Aw, cheers Liz. Glad you like it. :)

No point disposing of dupes - they're all unique as you say (check out the Gorgo pricing alignment post a few back)

It's funny how charming the books are. I absolutely love them now, but who the hell bought Nurse comics back in the day!? 

Actually, don't answer that....

You actually summoned me into a foreign area of the boards for me - where the heck is this?  Arrggh.   All I need is to be wasting more time here...., :pullhair: 

8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

You actually summoned me into a foreign area of the boards for me - where the heck is this?  Arrggh.   All I need is to be wasting more time here...., :pullhair: 

Bring some mates will ya? Quiet in here.

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Aw, cheers Liz. Glad you like it. :)

No point disposing of dupes - they're all unique as you say (check out the Gorgo pricing alignment post a few back)

It's funny how charming the books are. I absolutely love them now, but who the hell bought Nurse comics back in the day!? 

Actually, don't answer that....

My sister had volumes of Sherry Ames- Student Nurse. Hardback I might add! Just not profusely illustrated since the philosophy was to let the reader fill in the visual blanks.

I have enjoyed this thread more than anything I've seen on this board. I survived selling my AF15 and suddenly everything seemed possible again. So, fool that I am I went and googled these damn things and found them in specialty corners of Ebay, Reptilicus, Gorgo but no flying nurses.  This feels a lot like having quit smoking for years only to have some dark character come out of the shadows with a lit Chesterfield no filter long whispering at me... hey kid.... I have two hundred upopened cartons of them in the attic, all hermetically sealed. Don't ask.  Even worse, I used to collect  Iguanas..

Edited by Glassman10

8 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

My sister had volumes of Sherry Ames- Student Nurse. Hardback I might add! Just not profusely illustrated since the philosophy was to let the reader fill in the visual blanks.

I have enjoyed this thread more than anything I've seen on this board. I survived selling my AF15 and suddenly everything seemed possible again. So, fool that I am I went and googled these damn things and found them in specialty corners of Ebay, Reptilicus, Gorgo but no flying nurses.  This feels a lot like having quit smoking for years only to have some dark character come out of the shadows with a lit Chesterfield no filter long whispering at me... hey kid.... I have two hundred upopened cartons of them in the attic, all hermetically sealed. Don't ask.  Even worse, I used to collect  Iguanas..

Ah, bless you Glassman, bless you. I do like your way with words! Keep going, we're barely half way through. Hundreds to come my friend, hundreds!

And if you like this, try some of the other threads in my signature links below. A right pair of unpopular cretins and their dog used to run them (thumbsu

I'll let @lizards2 deal with the iguana bit...

7 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
20 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

Ah, bless you Glassman, bless you. I do like your way with words! Keep going, we're barely half way through. Hundreds to come my friend, hundreds!

And if you like this, try some of the other threads in my signature links below. A right pair of unpopular cretins and their dog used to run them (thumbsu

I'll let @lizards2 deal with the iguana bit...

Odd - I have the urge to go have a smoke.

My wife, and daughter, had tons of the Cherry Ames, Student Nurse books.

7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I bet Cynthia Doyle could take her in a bare knuckle fist fight. Although Betsy Crane would likely take em both at the same time, being registered and all.  hm

49 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

And we're only on chapter one Foggy :headbang:

worse: I'm being threatened with abandonment if I start actually buying these things again. The night will surely be long...Fortunately I have really reliable tractor.

Edited by Glassman10

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

and those books were burned!!! Dammit. My sister is a heartless creature of modern times. 

9 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

did any of you read Gerald Durrell?

No, but I'm watching them on the telly

worse: I'm being threatened with abandonment if I start actually buying these things again. The night will surely be long...Fortunately I have really reliable tractor.

Use the tractor beam. 

and those books were burned!!! Dammit. My sister is a heartless creature of modern times. 

It was time for them to keep their appointment with the Wicker Man. In her twisted girl brain. 

7 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

they get much more brown as they age... sorry to tell you. All part of the indignity. 

What, the comics?

It's D-Day! :headbang:

In this case, the 'D' stands for 'descriptions'. Let's look at the descriptions of the gun fire noises we have on the cover of our inaugural edition here.

We have:

• ZING!
  • PING!
  • ZIIP!
  • BEEOOW!
  • SPLAT!
  • ZIP! (note, only one 'I' this time. Don't tell Marwood)

My favourite is 'BEEOOW!' as it sounds very bullet whizzing by like, don't you think? BEEOOW! BEEOOW!

Nice.

It's the only pence copy for this title of course, just scraping in before the December 63 lock:

dday.PNG.c5a853b6e728591b56c7612e784d1570.PNG

There was quite a long wait for a number 2 to appear (Fall 64), which reminds me of that time I ate too many grapes and a whole malt loaf in one foolish sitting. Nowadays, I try to rule that out of my life :p

Anyway, 'D-Day' #1

Aint she nice :)

BEEOOW!

5ab106648c644_D-Day1FirstEditionSummer1963(9d).thumb.jpg.ed4edb2021c7d0aac352263ebc2f0650.jpg

:headbang:

41 minutes ago, Arkadin said:

Marwood, thought you might enjoy this vid:

Ah, thanks Arkadin, I'd not seen that thread before.  Sure I went to school with them two :bigsmile:

Marwood, I have a painting on my glass studio wall up about twelve feet of a fighter pilot behind an enemy fighter. It was done by this guy named Phil Wilburn back in the mid fifties and he made the cover of Time Magazine as an up and coming artist in Detroit at the time.  He had an assistant named Roy Lichtenstein at that time. Phil never handled his rise well sadly. but Roy took off with it. I will try to post a picture of it but I'm so bad at these basic skills. I got the painting back around 1975 20 years after the fact. . 

The Point? The painting has the guns saying "Takka Takka Takka!!!" He had great teeth.  Phil later found eastern religion and wanted to change it to Buddha Buddha Buddha!!! I would not let him. It's still on the wall today.  I have no Idea what might have occurred if he found the Church of England.  ( I want a divorce?)  

Edited by Glassman10