• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fourth World movie

39 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2018 at 12:09 PM, KirbyJack said:

The impact of a 4th World movie.  The Glory Boat and The Death Wish of Terrible Turpin would work great on screen!

Yes, the Death Wish of Terrible Turpin was certainly a mature concept to me when I read it as a little kid. Great hyperbole by Kirby/Evanier with save "The Pact" for your grand-children. Kirby's Fourth World vs Eternals/Celestials movies in the future:

DC3pO1c.jpg

A very good series, which was consistently enjoyable for most of the run, up until editorial pressure forced Kirby to link the concept into the Marvel Universe with the somewhat underwhelming ‘Hulk’ storyline.

An often dark and intense series, and one of my Bronze Age favourites.

9 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Yes, the Death Wish of Terrible Turpin was certainly a mature concept to me when I read it as a little kid. Great hyperbole by Kirby/Evanier with save "The Pact" for your grand-children. Kirby's Fourth World vs Eternals/Celestials movies in the future:

DC3pO1c.jpg

So cool

Kirby obiously knew what he had his hands on !

On 4/6/2018 at 7:05 PM, KirbyJack said:

I bought Eternals 1 off the stands. 

Blew my little brain.

+1. Much better Celestial mind-bending concept than :flamed: 'King Solomon's Frog' in Black Panther #1 that guided quite high at nm $100 BEFORE the mega-success of the Black Panther movie.

6 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

+1. Much better Celestial mind-bending concept than :flamed: 'King Solomon's Frog' in Black Panther #1 that guided quite high at nm $100 BEFORE the mega-success of the Black Panther movie.

Yup. It was a very poor implementation of the concept.

Garko the Man-Frog was much, much better.

I love the chunky art on these 4th world books. It isn't quite as good in the Eternals and it just doesn't play as well when he went back to Marvel to do super hero stuff in the later 70s. He tried it again later with Captain Victory and it is, again, just not quite as good as what he was doing 10-12 years earlier. I had a pretty nifty Captain Victory page, but I needed the $1200, so it is gone :-(

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

I love the chunky art on these 4th world books. It isn't quite as good in the Eternals and it just doesn't play as well when he went back to Marvel to do super hero stuff in the later 70s. He tried it again later with Captain Victory and it is, again, just not quite as good as what he was doing 10-12 years earlier. I had a pretty nifty Captain Victory page, but I needed the $1200, so it is gone :-(

The Hunger Dogs GN and the new material in the final Issue of the New Gods 80s reprint series contain some poor, extremely-stiff Kirby artwork, but, struggling with health problems towards the very end of his career, to be fair.

Edited by Ken Aldred

21 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Hunger Dogs GN and the new material in the final Issue of the New Gods 80s reprint series contain some poor, extremely-stiff Kirby artwork, but, struggling with health problems towards the very end of his career, to be fair.

Yes, he wasn't physically able past the early 80s.