• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fourth World movie

39 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

if Yes, wow. I hope its done the right way. The KIRBY way ...

Would be longer than a trilogy of films with Forever People, New Gods, Mr Miracle, Big Barda and Female Furies (a la Wonder Woman movie), and Black Racer (DC's answer to the Black Panther?).

4 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Would be longer than a trilogy of films with Forever People, New Gods, Mr Miracle, Big Barda and Female Furies (a la Wonder Woman movie), and Black Racer (DC's answer to the Black Panther?).

Done the right way this battle royal would eclipse Star Wars ...

32 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Done the right way this battle royal would eclipse Star Wars ...

I really hope they plan it out as a trilogy and take their time with it. Hopefully they focus on "the pact" and the swap of babies (Scott Free and Orion) to keep the peace in the 1st movie.  Start it with Ragnorak and end it with Scott Frees escape from Apokolips.  Start the next one with the breaking of the pact and the war between Apokolips and New Genesis. It could be really good if they don't try to introduce 25 characters in the 1st movie and have them beat the tar out of each other for 3 hours.

12 hours ago, boomtown said:

I really hope they plan it out as a trilogy and take their time with it. Hopefully they focus on "the pact" and the swap of babies (Scott Free and Orion) to keep the peace in the 1st movie.  Start it with Ragnorak and end it with Scott Frees escape from Apokolips.  Start the next one with the breaking of the pact and the war between Apokolips and New Genesis. It could be really good if they don't try to introduce 25 characters in the 1st movie and have them beat the tar out of each other for 3 hours.

Yes the grandeur of the concept considered they would need to build it up and take their time in introducing the characters in this Awesome war. FW ranks up there among the most Awesome stuff ever done in comics imho. A disaster for the ages in comic book lore that Infantino at DC was allowed to shut Down the book.

18 hours ago, boomtown said:

I really hope they plan it out as a trilogy and take their time with it. Hopefully they focus on "the pact" and the swap of babies (Scott Free and Orion) to keep the peace in the 1st movie.  It could be really good if they don't try to introduce 25 characters in the 1st movie and have them beat the tar out of each other for 3 hours.

Either that or start with a Mr Miracle and Big Barda 2 hr movie that introduces the Boom Tube to/from Apokolips.

3 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

What? No mention of a hotly-anticipated Jimmy Olsen/Newsboy Legion anthology film?  That would rule...

Is Don Rickles still alive? He could be DC's answer to all the Stan Lee cameos in the Fourth World trilogy. :headbang: 1st app. of Don Rickles in DC universe is gonna be hot on eBay !

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

That said, The Glory Boat and The Death Wish of Terrible Turpin would work great on screen!

Yup.  The Deep Six story is one of my favourites from the Fourth World saga.

8 hours ago, jools&jim said:

What? No mention of a hotly-anticipated Jimmy Olsen/Newsboy Legion anthology film?  That would rule...

It would be a good idea for them to incorporate the Cadmus Project into the film.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 17 March 2018 at 4:29 PM, Mr bla bla said:

Is that really so?

if Yes, wow. I hope its done the right way. The KIRBY way ...

The commentary track for Blade 2 is quite interesting for this reason.

Guillermo del Toro very enthusiastically discusses some of the effects he placed in the film as being homages to Jack Kirby, particularly the UV explosions.  So, there is a precedent.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The commentary track for Blade 2 is quite interesting for this reason.

Guillermo del Toro very enthusiastically discusses some of the effects he placed in the film as being homages to Jack Kirby, particularly the UV explosions.  So, there is a precedent.

Why would some director's comments about "Kirby homage UV explosions" (whatever the hell that means) in Blade I, II, XVII, XXVII, or whatever give us hope, in general, that a proposed modern "Fourth World" movie (made nearly two decades later by a different director) would be anything other than yet another bog-standard modern superhero CGI slug-fest with all the same turgid/PC-adjusted backstories, clich´éd tropes, posturing, bombast, and general lack of subtlety we've come to expect and accept from this rubbish?

Kirby's "Fourth World" was a failed experiment precisely because the mainstream of the pop-cultural subset (i.e., comic books) in which it unfolded at the time didn't get it, and wasn't patient enough commercially to let its visionary and highly idiosyncratic myth-making run its natural course. 

I appreciate and admire your optimism re: the movie(s), but I see no compelling reason to share it...

Edited by jools&jim

29 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

Why would some director's comments about "Kirby homage UV explosions" (whatever the hell that means) in Blade I, II, XVII, XXVII, or whatever give us hope, in general, that a proposed modern "Fourth World" movie (made nearly two decades later by a different director) would be anything other than yet another bog-standard modern superhero CGI slug-fest with all the same turgid/PC-adjusted backstories, clich´éd tropes, posturing, bombast, and general lack of subtlety we've come to expect and accept from this rubbish?

Kirby's "Fourth World" was a failed experiment precisely because the mainstream of the pop-cultural subset (i.e., comic books) in which it unfolded at the time didn't get it, and wasn't patient enough commercially to let its visionary and highly idiosyncratic myth-making run its natural course. 

I appreciate and admire your optimism re: the movie(s), but I see no compelling reason to share it...

^^THIS! Why would anyone in their right mind trust Warner /DC to not screw this up given their horrible track record?

The point I'm making is that Kirby-style effects can be done quite well, as in the film I referenced - even years ago. 

Nothing more than that, actually. (shrug)

Pardon me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

12 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The point I'm making is that Kirby-style effects can be done quite well, as in the film I referenced - even years ago. 

Nothing more than that, actually. (shrug)

Pardon me.

Sorry...it was late and I was cranky.  :foryou:

I guess what I was trying to say is that the original saga was poorly understood and grossly mishandled by DC at the time.  During the past 40+ years, they've serially plundered it and re-visited it, but it's still not clear to me that anyone other than Kirby really knew what to do or where to go with it.

It seems to me that the key to it all, creatively I mean, lies in understanding that the New Gods, et al., are NOT superheroes, and that their story is not "cosmic-capes-and-tights-action-adventure": the Fourth World is more "Lord of the Rings" than "JLA". 

The dreary superhero genre conventions simply do not apply to this material: DC did not understand that back in the 1970s, and probably still doesn't.  But I'm afraid that's precisely how a film version will be handled and marketed.

Oh well...I guess we'll see!

Edited by jools&jim